Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 10:45:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Firearm: Bushmaster Carbine/LW Barrel
Rounds: 40
Ammo Variant: 55gr FMJ

No problems with the ammo to feed/fire.  Mostly slow fire with a few rapid strings.  Grouped similar to Wolf gr in this carbine (not good).

Bought as a novelty to try out, I didn't even bother with the Chrony.  In my area this stuff is way too expensive (Black Hills 55gr is much cheaper) to be used as a plinker round, and not accurate enough for target shooting.

Edited to add which version I tried
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Firearm:Colt SP1 Carbine
Rounds: 100+/-
Ammo Variant: 55gr FMJ

Not a single prob, I picked it up just to mess around. I would have to put it in the same range as WOLF, It is not to accurate, and I would only use it for blasting ammo. I shot it out to 200 yds. Nothing special, but no probs.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
1) Firearm used: Several Colts and a Bushmaster LEM4A3
2) Approximate number of rounds fired: 60

.223 REM, 55 grain FMJBT

This is the only product I've made an effort to bash on this forum. I bought some NATEC polymer trash from Bass Pro Shops last year, 10 boxes of it as they had it discounted and I figured it was worth trying out. Well it wasn't.

Velocity was less then XM193, around 2900 if I remember correctly. Accuracy wasn't too bad. A little worse then XM193 but fine for plinking. As for the real issues:

No crimp and the polymer case doesn't hold bullet in. I could unseat bullets with my fingers, I could also push them in. Blown primers, 1 in 3 w/ all rifles used. 2 KAC triggers and 2 factory triggers. double feeds, failures to extract do to rim seperating from polymer case. It seems once your chamber warms up the poylmer case becomes more pliable and above problems worsen to the point you can't even shoot the shit. I had bullets come free from cases and dump powder after trying to dislodge double feeds. We put up the NATEC and went back to real ammo i.e. XM193, Winchester white box and so forth and problems dissappeared instantly in all rifles. I returned all unfired rounds to Bass Pro Shops along w/  plenty of spent cases showing blown primers and seperations. They refunded all of my money and removed the stuff from their shelves. Few months later I saw it there again but in different loadings, different colored cases as well. My cases were grey. Maybe they got their act together but you couldn't pay me to try that shit again. The only positive note: the stuff is light.
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have shot several hundred rounds through 2 olympic's and a Rick River.  Never any problems of any sort.  Accuracy is definatly acceptable, although I haven't really bothered to put it on paper.  When ever I go to the not so local fun shop that carries it, I buy a hundred or so rounds.  I think it's a great idea that just hasn't been perfected.  

But I have had no problems with it personally and will continue to buy it.

-K

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny thing. When I was at the Hun Farm last May, I picked up 500 rounds of this stuff. It was the sand colored case, which indicated it was one of the first production runs of the 55 FMJ. I shot it without any problems whatsoever. A number of people noticed and commented on the poly cases there, as they'd never seen them before. I hadn't, either. I'd bought them at a gun shop in Missouri on the drive down.

The current manufactured 55 FMJ has a gray polymer case, and I've had multiple experiences of the fired cartridges separating in the extraction process.

The extractor pulls the brass off the poly case and the small brass ass then immediately falls, directly in  the chamber in front of the locking lugs. The cycling bolt strips the next round off the magazine and jams it into the chamber, further jamming things up. Can't pivot the upper off the lower to clear it since the bolt is still inside the buffer tube. The first time this happened it took me 20 minutes and a borrowed cleaning rod to finally clear the weapon. I got better at clearing them after that. I contacted NATEC directly regarding the problem, and told them I had about 350 rounds left I refused to shoot if they wanted it back. They apologized and said they'd send a case to replace the stuff I wouldn't shoot. I told them don't bother, but they sent it anyways, and it's still sitting in the corner of my garage. I suppose if I ever add a .223 bolt gun to my collection, then I might shoot it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't have any problems posted here but I put mine on paper. Accuracy was pretty lousy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I signed up for this forum just to say how crappy this ammo is.  I fired one round and the casing got stuck in the chamber.  I learned a lot about my new gun getting the plastic dislodged.  Cheap junk, nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had issues with the case neck melting and sticking in the chamber.  PITA to scrub out.

Hi Price+poor accuracy means I cannot recommend this stuff.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Funny thing. When I was at the Hun Farm last May, I picked up 500 rounds of this stuff. It was the sand colored case, which indicated it was one of the first production runs of the 55 FMJ. I shot it without any problems whatsoever. A number of people noticed and commented on the poly cases there, as they'd never seen them before. I hadn't, either. I'd bought them at a gun shop in Missouri on the drive down.

Only 500 rounds?  When I was cleaning up the place... I felt like I was picking that stuff up for days.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
It short strokes my 20" HBAR. It also is quite dirty, and cause my AR to jam. I can get the same results with Wolf, for cheaper than this ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have put 1100+ rounds through Bushmaster 20" Hbar.  And <400 rounda through Bushmaster 14.5" on pistol lower.  I have had the following problems:

- 1 extractor pulled off bottom (rifle)
- 3 jam while feeding (rifle)
- maybe 15-20 fail to strip a round, bolt closes on empty chamber (rifle)

None of these problems happened until well into the second box of 500, with no cleaning.  When I examined the bolt group, the problems with jams and closing on an empty chanber seemed to be caused by the firing pin channel being gummed up.  A thorough cleaning, and my rifle is again happily digesting this ammo.

No problems with the pistol whatsoever.

I will say that this ammo is a bit dirtier that XM193 (my preferred fodder when available), but it doesn't seem less accurate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#12]
We sent hundreds of cases of this stuff back to the manufactruer from the shooting range I work at. The brass base seperates, and the plastic case gets stuck in the chamber. A real mess.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Bushmaster 14.5" M4 profile.
60 rounds fired.

Not a single problem. Fairly accurate also.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Havent bought any just because of how it looks and how its put together!

Maybe if I had a bolt action in 223
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Home-Built carbine: 16" bbl Model1 upper, DPMS lower
500 rnds of 55gr FMJBT natec (in the sand/light-tan case).
Of the 500, only 1 failure:  Cartridge failed to feed - resulting in bullet set-back into case.  I cleared the round and continued firing.

I've not chrono'ed this stuff, but by perceived recoil, I'd say its sub M193 and more in line with civilian .223Rem. I found it priced about on par with wolf steel case ammo.  Shot cleaner and just as reliably as wolf.  If weight saving is a concern, the difference is amazing and worth it.

I'd buy more
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Bushmaster carbine

Bought 1000 rds cheap so fiqured I'd use as plinking, shot about 700 rds and had 2 bad rds, 1st time casing broke at neck and lodged projectile in barrel came right out, 2nd time shell didn't eject. Overall really satisfied with. Accuracy is so-so.
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#17]
DPMS CMP rifle.

300 rounds fired. No case seperations. I didn't put it on paper yet. Seemed accurate enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Fired about 1k rounds through three rifles:
- DPMS 16" A2 upper on a Cav Arms lower
- Bushmaster Dissipator upper on DPMS lower
- Colt HBAR

Out of about 1k rounds, I had three pull the case head off the fired cartridge.  However, this only occurred in the DPMS upper which is not chrome lined.

Accuracy via the scoped HBAR was on par wit regular surplus, but tended to have the occasional flyer.

A CMP buddy shot 50 rounds through his Rock River CMP upper and the results were fun with no problems.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Fired  200 rounds of 55gr PCA ammo out of a 20" govt profile chromed rifle. Rifle hasn't had any FTF/FTE since break-in was over.

Problems I had:
1) major short stroking turned the rifle into a single shot
2) brass head separated from cartridge case
3) multiple double feeds
4) clearing double feeds often resulted in pulling the bullet out of the loaded cartridge, resulting in spilled powder
5) rounds that did fire were very inaccurate

I'll buy Wolf before I buy PCA again.

BSW
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
ARFCOM polls SUCK!

The only way to see the results is to VOTE... I'd like to see the results, but I never used it, so I can't vote without screwing the results...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Firearms used: Colt 6721 16", M16A2-M-4 14.5",  M16A3 Commando 11.5", Bushmaster 20" and 16" variants, Ruger AC-556, and Ruger Mini-14 GB.
Round used: 55 gr. FMJ (both the early Copper Jacketed/Pb Core, gray case) and latter-current (Tombec Projo.....copper/steel jacket w/Pb core, gray case) variants.
# Rounds fired: >2,000
Problems of any kind experienced in semi-auto and full auto fire: None!
Accuracy:   Best 5 shot groups recorded were 3.5" from a scoped, match barreled Bushmaster (capable of 0.375" 5 shot group accuracy with custom ammo).
Velocity: Test lot of ammo (from initial case of ammo purchased) had a 55 gr. Cu Jacketed/Pb cored FMJ bullet,  Chronographed at 3186FPS for a 10 shot average using a PACT MKIV Chronograph @ 10' from the muzzle using a 20" Bushmaster fluted barrel match gun. A reference velocity was also taken at the same time from my 'stash' of 'Nam Era, '69 vintage LC M193 Ball, 3246 FPS for a 10 shot average.

Though initial evaluations we read for this ammo indicated the possibility of failures under the rigors of full auto fire, we evaluated this ammo (in a hot gun, 5 successive 30 rd. bursts, as quick as the gun could be reloaded!) in the Colt M-4, Colt Commando and Ruger AC-556 series weapons, as well as the mundane semi-auto usage......no separations of case and head were observed/experienced, no FTF or FTE.

Only anomaly I'd like to note with this ammo is that somewhere along the line, Natec changed the projectile in the first lot we purchased/tested, the 55 gr. FMJ (Cu Jacketed/Pb core) round to  subsequent lots that utilized  the "Tombec" Projectile, what appears to be a Copper Plated, Steel jacketed, Pb cored FMJBT bullet! Bullet length is close to the M855 Projo, longer than the 'standard' 55 gr. FMJBT Winchester bullet. No subsequent testing has been performed on this latter ammo/projo design, either chronographing or accuracy testing.

We routinely use this ammo in our Class 3 Demos and weapon live fire function testing......no brass collection worries.....just shoot and drop!

Overall Evaluation:  Great shoot'n-drop, blasting ammo for the non-reloader......Probably not the cheapest though! Not really there in the accuracy department also!

Link Posted: 7/8/2006 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]
colt 16in,colt 20 in.
223 rem 55 gr fmjbt pc22355f  pca-spectrum 500 round case
no function  problems at all,rifles were  warm from shooting wolf ammo ,i did notice a split on some  of the cases on the plastic ,but i shot the rifle to get the barrel hot before trying plastic ammo ,was on paper target but did not bench rest rifle
Link Posted: 7/22/2006 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Jeff Zimba (Raffica), production manager for Small Arms Review, shares his experience with them:

Plastic Rainbows!

A few ARFCOM Exclusives

Justin
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I just had a case split and jam into my bore. Feb O4 production, lot E. Not liking it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#27]
The NATEC worked fine in my Bushy A2 carbine.  There were some minor issues with the rounds, however.  On a few of the rounds it appears that the primer was slightly pierced.  On these rounds there is a small dark spot on the primer.  There were no function problems.

Sarge
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Pca spectuum got stuck causing fte in my rra carbine. several hundred rounds fired before and after, no problems w/ brass cased rounds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I had one case split into two.  Both halves were ejected.
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Gun: Cavalry Arms W/20" light barrel upper.

Nothing has ever failed to function in this gun, until i tried this ammo.
Shot fine for first magazine, Switch mag, continue firing.
Case would separate at shoulder, leavinng the neck of the plastic case
in the chamber making it impossible to chamber the next round.
Happened 3 times in one range outing, and once more when i borrowed
the gun to a customer to shoot with that ammo.

NATEC ammo is pure Junk.

KyAKGuy
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#34]
The title of this thread should be NATEC WARNING not Review, lol
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/6/2007 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I contacted NATEC regarding this POS ammo. No replies to date.
Link Posted: 3/6/2007 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I contacted NATEC regarding this POS ammo. No replies to date.

It seems like they are not in business anymore, given their complete radio silence, and no new shipments of the ammo since last Fall.
I ordered 200 rounds of their plastic cased tracer from someplace that still had it in stock, as a collectors item. I don't think I will shoot much of it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2007 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#38]
They've gone bankrupt. Bankruptcy auction of the entire plant end of this month.
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#39]
SG just got a bunch of the stuff in both 55 gr. blitz or HP and 69 gr. HP.
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
SG just got a bunch of the stuff in both 55 gr. blitz or HP and 69 gr. HP.

eek, at $10 a box, they must be going after the collectors market already.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
They've gone bankrupt. Bankruptcy auction of the entire plant end of this month.

Looks like some interesting machinery and quite a few components for sale:

www.collarcityauctions.com/03262007/index.html
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#42]
P08 has access and for sale in the EE about 82,000 rounds of the Tracer ammo.  $4.00 a box.  Just givin ppl a heads up and I will be buying some of this and hopefully will have a review by next weekend....
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#43]
River City Gun Exch in Sacramento has this ammo for sale at $2.99 per box of 20, here is a link to the ad:

http://www.marketplacelocal.com/PortalWeb/Portal.aspx?groupid=403&pagename=addetails2&channelid=44&categoryid=1307&subcategoryid=&itemid=31816912&adid=16519528&adtype=#

For those of you who feel brave...  buy at your own risk.

Turby
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought three cases of the 55 fmjbt
Price was good at 8.50 per 50 rounds.
I liked the ammo in my RRA 16 ELITE!
Only problem I ever had was some slight difficulty in initial chambering. Just a bump on the forward assist and good to go.
Actually shot this ammo in competition and won on multiple occasions (100yds)
They must have had some qaulity control issues, but i liked the ammo I bought, and still have 1 case left!!!
My source has still has some 55 blitz left, 8.99 per 20, and a few single 20 rnd boxes of 55fmjbt for 4.99. They went up a littlehe
I'd buy it again for the right price......
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#45]
My buddy had some a few years back. We didn't have any problems.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#46]
This stuff is complete crap. I bought a couple of boxes to give it a try:

* First round loaded fine and fired.
* Second round loaded but had a blown primer
* tried to eject the second round and it jammed while trying to eject

I got rid of the rest, why waste time on such crap. I would rather use Wolf ammo than this stuff...I mean why bother spending good money on a awesome gun and buy crap ammo like this?
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#47]
The plastic case was left in the chamber on extraction, ejected the little brass base. another round was fed into the chamber causing a very tight jam. I will never waste my money on that crap again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag cause I just bought some of the tracer
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
River City Gun Exch in Sacramento has this ammo for sale at $2.99 per box of 20, here is a link to the ad:

http://www.marketplacelocal.com/PortalWeb/Portal.aspx?groupid=403&pagename=addetails2&channelid=44&categoryid=1307&subcategoryid=&itemid=31816912&adid=16519528&adtype=#

For those of you who feel brave...  buy at your own risk.

Turby

The add is gone.

I checked at the store today.  They are completely out.  They sold it all at the big reno gun show.  They have no source to get any more.

This sucks.  $2.99 a box was great and it shot ok.  I hope someone else starts making this stuff.  You could get rich.  It did work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2007 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#50]
The NATec factory has closed and the contents recently auctioned off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top