Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 12:52:34 PM EDT
A couple years ago I went to a gun show and was looking for some 5.56.  A gentleman who specialized in odd ammo had a good deal on some green tip 5.56.  I din't  inspect them very well but they were cheap so I went ahead and got some.  Got it home and found that the primers had what looked to be strikes!  I thought I bought a bunch of useless ammo and called the guy.  Luckily I picked up a business card.  He indicated that the primers had been "tested" by means of pressure but were still good.  apparently if the rounds did not go off the ammo was demiled and sold.  He reloaded them with obviously pulled bullets.  Looking at them you can see that the indent is not exactly as deep or wide as I see on a fired round from my AR-15.  I still have them but have been to scared to fire them.  Slam fire, weakend primer, sensative primer all seemed possible.  What do you guys think?  Does not sound like a good practice but is it dangerous to shoot?

Thanks,

Daniel
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
BE SCARED - BE VERY SCARED

If you reload you can pull them all apart and salvage the components.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do decide to shoot it, be VERY careful.

I'd one-hand that AR for the first few rounds...keep it away from anything vital.

...or you could just sell it...for cash...to someone you don't know or don't like.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Good rule of thumb, don't buy junk like that!  If you buy it by mistake, don't shoot it!  No matter how cheap it might have been, your AR is a lot more expensive, too expensive to risk shooting junk ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys,

Next time I will be more carefull.  

Daniel
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good rule of thumb, don't buy junk like that!  If you buy it by mistake, don't shoot it!  No matter how cheap it might have been, your AR is a lot more expensive, too expensive to risk shooting junk ammo.

Forget the gun.... a hospital bill will make any gun bill pale in comparison!  And a gun is a LOT easier to replace than any part of you that may be blown off by el cheapo ammo
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Good rule of thumb is never shoot anyone elses reloads.

The only exception to this rule is the large companies like black hills and georiga arms that sells high quality reloads.  Not to mention they have large insurance policys in case soemthing goes wrong.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top