Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:14:31 PM EDT
I'm curious what brand, and grain bullets you have seen perform the best?  I have a bushmaster with a 20 inch barrel and my stats very with each bullet considerably.  Is it better to have a heavier or lighter bullet, etc?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Every rifle is it's own story.  Buy several bullet weights from one manufacturer.  Find the one that shoots the best in your rifle, the buy several manufacturer's version of that bullet weight.  Or skip the whole thing and buy Black Hills.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The above reply is completely true.  That being said, try something with either the Sierra 52 grain or 69 grain HPBT.  Every AR I own shoots well with at least one of these bullets.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Every rifle is it's own story.  Buy several bullet weights from one manufacturer.  Find the one that shoots the best in your rifle, the buy several manufacturer's version of that bullet weight.  Or skip the whole thing and buy Black Hills.  Good luck.

are there some better weights to try, even from Black Hills?  I'm not much of a FMJ fan.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Black Hills.  nuff said
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm curious what brand, and grain bullets you have seen perform the best?  I have a bushmaster with a 20 inch barrel and my stats very with each bullet considerably.  Is it better to have a heavier or lighter bullet, etc?

Thanks in advance

If you handload... there is a guy on eBay who will sell 'trial packs' of 20 bullets of each weight! The price seems to be pretty good, too. And you don't get left with 80 bullets of a non-performer.

(edited part) His store name/screen name is gunrunner1000. I've bought from him a few times and he's a pretty reasonable guy. Here's his eBay address:
http://stores.ebay.com/gunrunner1000_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm
(end edited part)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Every rifle is it's own story. Buy several bullet weights from one manufacturer. Find the one that shoots the best in your rifle, the buy several manufacturer's version of that bullet weight.

I did that yesterday with my rifle.  I had six loads.  2 Winchester, 2 Remington, 1 UMC, and 1 Hornady.  4 loads where 55gr, with 1 62gr and 1 75gr.  My rifle did good with all the 55gr rounds except for the UMC.  It produced the same size groups with the 62gr and 75gr bullets as it did with the UMC.  Which was about 2" at 100yds.  I did get a few sub-MOA with Winchester Balistic Silvertip in 55gr and Remington Softpoint in 55gr.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Every rifle is it's own story. Buy several bullet weights from one manufacturer. Find the one that shoots the best in your rifle, the buy several manufacturer's version of that bullet weight.

I did that yesterday with my rifle.  I had six loads.  2 Winchester, 2 Remington, 1 UMC, and 1 Hornady.  4 loads where 55gr, with 1 62gr and 1 75gr.  My rifle did good with all the 55gr rounds except for the UMC.  It produced the same size groups with the 62gr and 75gr bullets as it did with the UMC.  Which was about 2" at 100yds.  I did get a few sub-MOA with Winchester Balistic Silvertip in 55gr and Remington Softpoint in 55gr.

I did the same. The Black Hills 40gr. Noslers did best, but at $19/box...no.

I settled on 52gr. Match Black Hills for target shootings. At 300 yards, I'll reliably do 1.5MOA (about 5 inches), with a LOT of that being the shooter.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top