Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:28:50 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Do you reccommend getting the BH 68 OTM rounds Blue Box for "go-to" ammo? My experience with their Blue box has always been good but I've only gotten the 55 GR stuff. I really rather not spend double the money for the red box ammo but obviously for this application reliability is key.

Thanks,

Riese  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot tons of blue box in competition and have yet to experience any failure of any kind.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I would trust my life to it, it's just as good as new factory ammo.  Hell, it's probably better than a lot of "new" factory ammo.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would trust my life to it, it's just as good as new factory ammo.  Hell, it's probably better than a lot of "new" factory ammo.  

+1, if it shoots good in my new upper, it will be my new go to load.  I can get it locally and it'd be a good self defense round.  The other uppers I had didn't like it all that much.  Well, it was kind of in between for one and the other one hated it.  Test it out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  Absolutly great ammo.  The 68 grain rounds should have much better terminal performance than 55 grain rounds, as well as increased long range performance.

-K
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
i use it in matches all the time. very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Great ammo, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]
isn't the sights on M-16A2's and AR15's calibrated for 55 gr. ammo. I am reluctant to by anything else to shoot for this reason.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
isn't the sights on M-16A2's and AR15's calibrated for 55 gr. ammo. I am reluctant to by anything else to shoot for this reason.

First off, IIRC, the M16A2's rear sight elevation drum is calibrated in meters for M855, which uses a 62 grain bullet.

Second, each click of the  rear sight's elevation drum is worth 1 MOA, so once one zeroes the rifle for a particular distance, and the chosen projectile's trajectory is known, adjusting the rear sight to the correct elevation for a known distance target is as easy as counting clicks from the chosen zero reference (usually 8/3).  

Works every time and doesn't restrict you to use just one type of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]
all my SHTF mags are loaded with the bluebox 68gr stuff.  For 1/9 barrels, its the shit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#10]
A question for those more knowledgeable than I:  Would you use the BH 68 OTM over Winchester Q3131A?

I have a lot of 31A and I would think it would be just as good at normal civilian self defense ranges...

Your thoughts?

B
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A question for those more knowledgeable than I:  Would you use the BH 68 OTM over Winchester Q3131A?

I have a lot of 31A and I would think it would be just as good at normal civilian self defense ranges...

Your thoughts?

B

Q3131A is certainly going to be good defensive ammo, and having a lot of it is a good thing.  Is the 68 gr. OTM a better self defense round though?  Sure.  You have more mass, a lower fragmentation threshold, and it frags a lot.  But it is also expensive.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First off, IIRC, the M16A2's rear sight elevation drum is calibrated in meters for M855, which uses a 62 grain bullet.

Second, each click of the  rear sight's elevation drum is worth 1 MOA, so once one zeroes the rifle for a particular distance, and the chosen projectile's trajectory is known, adjusting the rear sight to the correct elevation for a known distance target is as easy as counting clicks from the chosen zero reference (usually 8/3).  

Works every time and doesn't restrict you to use just one type of ammo.

Thanks for the education.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top