Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2006 4:41:15 PM EDT
Well, I ordered some of the ADCOM that AIM had on sale recently.  1000 rounds.  Anyway, I've loaded about 800 rounds in my mags so far, shot about 120 of that.  I hope these pictures do justice to what I have seen.

Ammo box
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/mfblog/Guns/AR-15/AmmoBox.jpg

Out of those rounds, I have had about 6 that have had really screwed up necks.  These three are the worst.  The first pic looks like there is a small V taken out of the neck right at the cannelure.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/mfblog/Guns/AR-15/Ammo3.jpg

The second one shows what looks like an inclusion in the brass, or like the brass got folded over on itself when they were forming the necks.  I had several rounds like this, but this one was the worst.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/mfblog/Guns/AR-15/Ammo2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/mfblog/Guns/AR-15/108_0670.jpg

And finally, this round takes the cake.  My eyes about bugged out when I saw this one.  A rectangle of brass, from the lip of the case all the way to the top of the should was completely missing.  I had to do a double take when I saw it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/mfblog/Guns/AR-15/Ammo1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/mfblog/Guns/AR-15/108_0672.jpg

Rounds
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/mfblog/Guns/AR-15/Ammo.jpg

Another thing that I noticed was that some of the cases seemed to not be annealed.  Most of the case had the very noticeable two-toned color to them, but alot of them didn't.

The cases ejected to a different spot than some LC that I was shooting before the ADCOM.  The LC seemed to land at 1:30-2 o'clock, whereas the ADCOM seemed to land at about 3 o'clock, and about two feet farther out.

Accuracy seemed to be fine, although I wasn't able to do a real thorough test, since I was short on time and running out of daylight.

Any this chance is the UAE version of the PD stuff they sell here?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not found any that looked like that yet. However NONE of mine has shown any anealing. I can't say if it was tumbled afterwards or not. I've had one primer blow in about 1K rounds and I can live with that. I can't say if all of it is from the same batch but mine is all 99 dated.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought 2000-rds, have used about 500-rds so far.  Non like that I have had about 5% of them blow the primers.  Head stamp 99.  

The acurracy has been in the 2-in range @ 100-yds in a 1/2-inch LesBaer M4.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have shot a load of this and have not had any problems.  Ordered another 2k today but called first to make sure it wasn't 99 headstamp.  In other threads thats where the problems with the primers seems to be.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit, I have 1000 rounds I bought about a month ago for AIMSurplus.  99 Headstamp.  I guess I'll be going through it like I do with the PD stuff.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
These were headstamped "00".  2000 vintage stuff might be a problem too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
These were headstamped "00".  2000 vintage stuff might be a problem too.

Thanks for the heads up.  Lets see, 99 loose primers, 2000 split necks.  Those are really bad.  Never got a PD in anywhere near that bad condition.  I will put them all on strippers when they come in and if the cases look like that I will send it all back.  Thanks again for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Shit, I have 1000 rounds I bought about a month ago for AIMSurplus.  99 Headstamp.  I guess I'll be going through it like I do with the PD stuff.  

I personally shot a lot of 99 headstamps and did not have any problems but it seems that when there are primer problems its usually 99.  I guess it part luck of the draw and part how your rifle likes the stuff.  I buy it because the price is good and I use it as range ammo.  I am saving my large supply LC M855 and LC XM193 as SHTF ammo and use the Adcom 855 and Q3131 as range ammo.  I use the 855 in my 1/7 twists and Q3131 & XM193 in my 1/9s.
Put it on strippers and you do two things at once.  Give the ammo a quick inspection and enjoy the ease of having it on strippers.  
I used to use the LC 193PD and LC 855 PD as range ammo but its getting rare and expensive.  I try not to get too worked up about ammo unless I have a personal problem with it.  When everyone was knocking the PD I was shooting thousands of rounds of it and believe it or not never had a bad round.  Otherwise, take it easy and don't worry about the 99 headstamp unless it gives you trouble.  Your probably worrying for nothing.  Good luck and keep us informed on how your ammo performs.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I ALSO BOUGHT 1K SHOT ABOUGHT 500 ROUNDS AND NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS OUT OF IT I LOOKED AT ALL OF IT AND IT LOOKS GREAT
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Jusst bought 1k rounds of the '02 ammo at the Orlando Fl gun show. Dealer asked what I what I was doing looking at the head stamps in each box. Told hom abou t the 99 problems although I put 500 through my Armalite carbine with no problems except some primer flattening. Keep you posted on the '02 stuff.
Getting ready for the 2006 hurricane season here in FL and the roving packs of zombies associated with the aftermath. After Katrina, my wife has asked to learn to how the shot gun works...I prefer long range kills and the Adcom stuff seems pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, this is really disappointing. I had high hopes for ADCOM. They have the means to make high-quality ammunition, but it appears not to have panned out. Bummer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, this is really disappointing. I had high hopes for ADCOM. They have the means to make high-quality ammunition, but it appears not to have panned out. Bummer.

Hope its just a learning curve.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Send that nasty stuff all back to AIM; call them for a free UPS return-shipping label, or ship it back and ask for the shipping costs back. They are usually pretty good about this kinda stuff.

I would not expect AIM to give you grief, but if they do, dispute the charges on your credit card by calling your card company up. This ain't loaded ammo--it's components slapped together. Dirty shame!

I bought a ton of the 99 stuff, and my Colt Hbar eats it up, no problems whatever with the 99 ADCOM headstamp.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the same experience with my ADCOM as the original poster - split necks, and a few blown primers.  Hopefully they'll get their act together and start producing better ammo.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
All three of those could be simple production glitches.  The worst was probably just a case with a bump in the neck that caught the bullet when it was inserted, tearing out a strip of brass (which I will bet you'll find inside, still connected to the shoulder if you tear the round down).  The one in the first picture is probably just a less severea example of the same thing.  The third, with an apparent inclusion, looks like bad case forming to me.

All three of these things are stuff reloaders watch out for, by the way.  You can do the same sort of thing at home with simple tools!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah - but the problem is that you expect their QC to fid those rounds and not let them be sold to the public. ADCOM is making a play to supply ammo to th military, and I don't think that the quality problems we've read about would pass muster for the military and present pretty big problems for the general public as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
And some people have the balls to claim that reloads can never reach the quality of factory loads...

Not that anyone here has actually said so in this thread, but I have heard the above several times here at ARFCOM.

My reloads get a level of process control and inspection that NO factory round would ever get.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got 500 rds in today. I only checked one box so far because I had to go to work. Headstamp on mine is 03 and they all look fine (at least in that one box). Is this stuff only good for range use? I was going to save it for SHTF when the next hurricane hits here.

I definitely plan on buying more from them though...at least for now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is this stuff only good for range use? I was going to save it for SHTF when the next hurricane hits here.

I definitely plan on buying more from them though...at least for now.

I depends on how it functions in your weapon.  If I shot 1k rounds with no failures then I would not hesitate to use it for SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Hopefully it shoots well. I haven't had a chance to even fire my Oly A3 once yet. I have 500 rounds of the Sprtsmans Guide ss109 and now 500 rounds of this stuff. Time is a problem right now, trying to rebuild my home, work and raising 2 kids...along with being on Night Shift, and working off-duty assignments. Hopefully I'll get a chance to find out soon. I'd like to shoot a 100 rds of each and see how they do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I received 1K of the 04 headstamps..
Sorted and found 24 that I would not shoot..
Some pretty good dents,1 neck that was deformed..
The others have splits at the neck area..Most not bad-but I am leary..

I do not think I will have a problem with shooting up the rest,all look good..

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/glockme/100_2045.jpg

Damn

Glad I haven't bought any of this stuff.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I just loaded 400 rounds of the 99  headstamp on stripper clips tonight.  Thus far, it all looks really good and clean.  Only one round had a very, very small dent on the case..nothing of concern.  I still have another 500rd case to sort through but so far so good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Out of the 500 I bought all have shot fine
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/glockme/100_2045.jpg

WoW!  That's some nasty looking stuff.  I have the 99 and I just went through several boxes and they all look great.  I'll have to look at the rest of the 1000 rnds.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top