Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2006 6:35:44 AM EDT
This is from a new box of Q3131 I just opened.

Note the rim on the case in the middle; it's like the base die squished it.  Also note the primer crimp and how the crimp die was WAY off center.

Yes, I'm taking this back to where I bought it.  No telling what else goofed up with this round!

I was expecting to see mixed NATO and non-NATO headstamps, but this is really odd!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The base grooves are machined, it's defective.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
So I surmised.  Must have been some oddness in how that particular case wound its way through the machines.  I took the box back and got a new one-same lot-and inspected EVERY ONE of the rounds in it.

This box had been one of six I bought because it was there and (of course) I wanted it.  Can't get enough of that 5.56mm goodness!  But that's the very first time in three DECADES that I've seen anything like that.  The worst factory defect I'd seen before this was a torn case neck.

Advice: always check ALL your ammo before heading to the range!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought some Q3131 2005 production recently and had problems.

Is yours 2005 too?

Mine would not feed properly at all into my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
oh snap
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought some Q3131 2005 production recently and had problems.

Is yours 2005 too?

Mine would not feed properly at all into my rifle.

This all has '05 headstamps, a mix of NATO and non-NATO.  It is all the same lot number though.  I haven't tried it yet-too busy getting ready for the new semester.  I'll report what I find.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Never seen anything like it, but I have seen much worse issued to me by the Army.

-K
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top