Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2006 10:10:47 AM EDT
I came across some 308 ammo that a ladie was selling up north.. Its in a tin sealed can  size is 14X6X4inches. Only marks on them is green patch of paint one says 308 and the other says 762. One was open and then sealed back up with duck tape so i opened that to see what  it looked like..It is red/copper in color both the case and bullet. I dont know how many rounds are in a can but are all rapped in lite brown paper. She was asking 100 buckes for both cans so i got them from her. Dont even have a 308 might have to go buy one now...LOL  Or use this for some trading.. SO if any one has any infoprmation on this ammo like where it was made and if its any good please let me know ..Thanks Dwayne
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Pictures would help in ID, thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I could take a picture but i dont know how to post it on here  ....Dwayne
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I take it no one has ever seen or used this type of ammo>?????????
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at the head stamp. go to www.municion.org/762x51/762x51.htm
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like Norinco.. kind of a copper wash right? Magnet sticks to the bullet?

Is there a headstamp? Just numbers?

I'm almost certain Norinco is the only ones that used a copper washed bullet and jacket.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes magnet will stick to bullet..Weight on bullet is 147grs.  Headstamps are  numbers,  and are  61  and also 92.  Thanks Dwayne
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your help..It is Norinco 308 imported by China Sports.  not sure if the head stamp "61 " is year made but will keep checking..  Anyone use this and is it any good?? Thanks Dwayne
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for your help..It is Norinco 308 imported by China Sports.  not sure if the head stamp "61 " is year made but will keep checking..  Anyone use this and is it any good?? Thanks Dwayne

I had used Norinco 223 about 14 years ago. It was crap. It was the only ammo I ever managed to have jam up in my AK-223. Cant tell you about the 308, but I dont think its much better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
In the mid 90's i bought a case of Bulgarian 308 that was copper washed steel cases. It was packed in 15 rnd. boxes with green ink, red sealant around bullet and primer, berdan corrosive, a smooth cannelure as opposed to ridges, cases were steel and the headstamp was simple like 69(year) and a letter iirc. The boxes came packed in a regular non issue box. It shot 2.5-3" groups with open sights without a problem. Just thought i would mention that there are other non chinese steel cased ammo.
Eta...bullets were not copper washed but copper jacket.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Probably just a plant number.  Since it's of no tactical use to their army, there's no reason for them to go out of their way to keep tabs on what year it was made.  It's typical for Chinese ammo to have only a plant number as a headstamp.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Definatly Norinco! Glad you got it figured out..

I have a friend who's got scads of that stuff horded away, shoots in exclusively in his fal.. seems to work very well considering how cheap he got it for back in the day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the help guys.....Thanks  Dwayne
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top