Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 9:54:12 AM EDT
i have a match HBAR 5.56 stamped barrel, i've read all of the opinions on the new polymere coated wolf ammo, but havent seen anything yet on Steel Case issues with with the tight fitting 5.56 barrels. Would this ammo be harmful on a tight fitting 5.56 NATO match type barrel. I would like to be able to use it for plinking ammo for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#1]
No it wont.

The steel in the cases is softer than your barrel steel.

Now, whether or not it would function is up to you to find out. Ive heard of Wolf not working on certain AR's. Buy a single box and find out. If it works, great. If not, well you are out of luck. It's really light ammo, so short stroking seems to be the biggest problem.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
It won't harm the barrel, but it might be hard on the extractor, and you may experience extraction issues with the spent round sticking in the chamber when the barrel is hot, needing to be pushed out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle.

Some guys I know who shoot wolf out of AR's get HD extractors to minize these type of problems.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a "match 5.56mm chamber" on one of my uppers, all it eats is wolf and other shit ammo. It's actually  the upper I do my optics torture tests on.

Is it really possible to have a "match" 5.56mm chamber I mean realy it makes no sence.

Oh and from experiance, get at least 200 rounds to test function in yer gun. When I first got my SBR upper it wouldn't run with wolf once it got hot. If I was slow fireing and taking my sweet ass time it was fine, but as soon as I started upping the ROF it would fail to extract or a case would get stuck in hte chamber. Now I don't seem to be having that issue since the upper is broken in a little bit more. 1 box is't going to tell you shit about how yer gun will function with any ammo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I've run about 1500 rounds of their 55 gr FMJ in my 5.56 HBAR without a hitch.

Barnaul laquer coat is a different story.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:Is it really possible to have a "match" 5.56mm chamber I mean realy it makes no sence..

Yes, it's call a Wylde chamber and it is very popular in Highpower where both  sub MOA accuracy and 100% reliability are required to win.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:Is it really possible to have a "match" 5.56mm chamber I mean realy it makes no sence..

Yes, it's call a Wylde chamber and it is very popular in Highpower where both  sub MOA accuracy and 100% reliability are required to win.

Hmmm lets see I have a barrel marked 5.56 match for the chamber, not .223 wylde which i see on RRAs and my understanding of them is that they are not really .223 and not really 5.56 but a tweener so it doesn't actually fit.

NO not the same, sorry try again.

I do get what yer saying however.

My comment was actually to the lines of match chambers are generaly tighter chambers, the 5.56mm chamber is not a tight as it's ment for reliability in adverse conditions(combat basicly)

So the idea of a 5.56mm "match" chamber is kind of an oxymoron when you really think about it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a bushmaster with a 5.56 SS HBAR match barrel and i have no problems with wolf.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm lets see I have a barrel marked 5.56 match for the chamber, not .223 wylde which i see on RRAs and my understanding of them is that they are not really .223 and not really 5.56 but a tweener so it doesn't actually fit.

My comment was actually to the lines of match chambers are generaly tighter chambers, the 5.56mm chamber is not a tight as it's ment for reliability in adverse conditions(combat basicly)

So the idea of a 5.56mm "match" chamber is kind of an oxymoron when you really think about it.

So how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input guys, ive shot wolf through it before with no problems as far as feeding and extraction goes. Stopped today and  bought 5 boxes of it in 62grain, we'll see how she handles it. I mainly shoot wwb with it with no problems, but i can only get it in 55grain, and thats to light for my 1/7 twist, so i will give the heavier 62grain a try. Seems anything heavier and i  have to go to match ammo, and thats a bit pricey for me for 3-gun stuff and plinking.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thought I'd add my .02 for shits... Bought a case of the stuff at a local gun show today for dirt cheap ... went into my backyard with 5 mags when I got home... dumped all 5 in about 40 seconds and pissed off my wife again ... no FTF no FTE ... and I hit my 3'x3' dirt burm every time ... wolf poly 62gr ... RRA midlength 16" wylde chamber ... for a 100 dollars a thousand who cares

ETA: how's that go ... "buy it cheap stack it deep"  I just love that one
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should have thrown in a few smilies and stuff sorry.

Um so how big is the pin head?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
All my .223 Wolf has steel case but non steel bullet jacket, Not that it would be an issue either way.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should have thrown in a few smilies and stuff sorry.

Um so how big is the pin head?

Pretty damned small  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top