Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:12:40 AM EDT
Anyone here get any ammo through them before and if so would you reccomend them? What is the deal with the Canned Heat ammo they are famous for? Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have bought and used their .223/5.56mm 55gr FMJ canned heat and their 9mm canned heat without any problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used it before in my carbine during a carbine course and have no problem (about 700rds in a day). Many other people in the same class also uses the same ammo and does not have any issues either. Some people take the same ammo and shoot at the other carbine course,  where they shoot approximately 1K/day for a 3 day course and still shows no issue. I just hosted a group buy and order 20K from Georgia Arms.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I buy almost all of my carry ammo from them, and they've always been prompt and reliable.

Their "shear plus" carry ammo is a fantastic bargain as well.  They load Speer Gold JHP bullets in new nickel plated Starline brass.  I have had excellent reliability and accuracy with both the .45ACP 230gr GDJHP +P and the 9mm 124gr GDJHP +P.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 500 round can of Canned Heat 223 loaded with the Hornady 68 HPBTM.  I used it for Highpower competition at 100, 200, and 300 yards.  Excellent stuff.  The only reason I don't buy it any more is because I roll my own now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Over 10k of 5.56mm, a few thousand of 9mm

good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag, also wondering about this ammo, specifically the 55gr FMJ "canned heat" bulk packs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Great Ammo, Great Prices , Friendly People
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a 500rd can of the 55gr FMJ "Canned Heat" at a gun show for $90. It will be awhile before I get to shoot it, but the ammo is mixed brass with Winchester, Remington, and Lake City of various year stamps. I did find a few dinged rounds but I don't think they are anything that will cause a problem. Shooting them will tell the story.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#9]
What is the skinny on the Georgia Arms canned heat .223 55gr FMJ? Sealed bullets/primer and will it fragment? Thinking about buying some. $85/500 is right up my alley. Might use it in the SHTF stockpile.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Their Canned Heat is good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I have friends that use it and they really like it.

I wonder if the bullet is M193 spec. ?

Danny

ETA: I just called Georgia Arms and spoke with a really good guy.

The 55 FMJ's used in canned heat are Winchester brand and are M193 spec.

The velocity for the 55 FMJ load from a 24" barrel runs about 3150 fps.

Their cases are brought from the DOD and they load around 40,000 rounds or so of .223 each day according to him.

The increase in price some have noticed is due to the fact that components cost more.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Danny

Oh man time to start buy some GOOD ammo making an order now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have friends that use it and they really like it.

I wonder if the bullet is M193 spec. ?

Danny

ETA: I just called Georgia Arms and spoke with a really good guy.

The velocity for the 55 FMJ load from a 24" barrel runs about 3150 fps.

Their cases are brought from the DOD and they load around 40,000 rounds or so of .223 each day according to him.

The increase in price some have noticed is due to the fact that components cost more.

Danny

FWIW
I asked their rep that is always at the gunshow if they used a 24' barrel, he told me it is 3150 fps from a "20in AR".
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Its good stuff. With I had a chrono to check the numbers for you.
Brass is nicer than white box stuff and cheaper too
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I spoke with the guy about their brass before I purchased. He said they clean and pressure test it when they get it, along with a few other positive comments I forget. He was very nice and polite.

Anyways here are some pics:

Ammo can, the label was torn by me so fiancee wouldn't notice the price. :

Contents. As you can see most looks bright, clean, and uniform. Rolling my hands over all of it barely got my fingertips dirty.

Various headstamps I picked out after dumping out the can and a quick look through the lot. The majority appears to be Lake City brass of various dates, lowest and highest I saw are pictured here '92 and '03. The bottom row of headstamps are ones I don't know, maybe somebody can explain the stamps. I assume "FC" is Federal.

Here are a few I saw that were dinged:

No idea how and if that will effect anything, but it was the exception and not the norm. For the price, compared to some of the horror stories i've been reading here about stuff like Adcom and "PD" loadings, doesn't seem bad to me. Plus I get to talk to the people who load it at the gunshow or over the phone, can't beat that.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#16]
The G.A. 55gr .223 FMJ consistently groups tighter than either the XM855 or XM193.

For shooting targets it's superior than the mil stuff for accuracy. Their Precision Plus match loads are really nice.

Here's a ten shot group of the 55gr FMJ with a decent group in the center. Most of the flyers are because I was still farting around adjusting the benchrest. The middle group are the last five shots.
http://www.pinn.net/~tuckahoe/ar-stuff/target6a.jpg

with the Precision Plus 55gr with Nosler ballistic point. The tight group is seven rounds (showing five holes)
http://www.pinn.net/~tuckahoe/ar-stuff/target6b.jpg

With the Precision Plus 60gr, VMax points, five round group.
http://www.pinn.net/~tuckahoe/ar-stuff/target6c.jpg

Shot with a 16" barrel, 1:9 twist.

I'm pretty happy with the ammo performance. Now I just need to improve my performance
hinking.gif

Zip
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#17]
For the un-initiated, Georgia Arms is to the South East what Miwall is to the South West.

The biggest difference is that GA sells the vast majority of it's stuff under it's own label.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I shot many thousands of rounds of Ga Arms canned heat.  The only problem I encounter is that the bullets are not crimped and I've occasionally had a failure to feed where the bullet got set back into the case when it hit the feed ramp.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had some problems with this, my RRA has no problems chewing this up but my Colt hates this and gives failure to feed issues.  I emailed them with the lot number and told them about the problems I was having and never got a responce.  I will not be buying anymore ammo from from them because of this.  I did have several damaged rounds and I do not have a crono to find out if some is hotter than other but for the few $$ that Ill save Ill hold off and buy stuff that I know will run in all guns that I do own.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I have shot thousands of rounds of GA and have never had a problem.  I buy it whenever I can get it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I've shot lots of GA Arms Canned Heat and had no problems. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#22]
So why didnt you just call them and explain your situation to them?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I ran 90 rounds of the canned heat through my AR yesterday.  Good stuff. Feeds well- no failures of any kind.  Accuracy seemed decent.  Range was so crowded that I wasn't able to check out my 5 shot groups.  The blast was on par with Q3131/m193.  The rounds were nice and clean though there were some that were badly dented.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I ran 90 rounds of the canned heat through my AR yesterday.  Good stuff. Feeds well- no failures of any kind.  Accuracy seemed decent.  Range was so crowded that I wasn't able to check out my 5 shot groups.  The blast was on par with Q3131/m193.  The rounds were nice and clean though there were some that were badly dented.

I pulled a bullet from the sample that I got:

Powder: Ball - 24.5 grains.

Bullet: Same weight and appearance as known Winny 55 fmj on hand.

Case: LC 2003 with NATO cross

Primer : unknown - silver/nickel color.

Note : Un-scientific/ non-firing testing.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#25]
So would their 68 gr load be a good SHTF round?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The downside of using that would be that the primers and bullets aren't sealed so if the rounds are immersed in water you are FUBARED though it is better than Wolf.  I would say it would be a second tier SHTF load bellow the M855, M193 and  Q3131A/Q3131.

The way ammo is righ now I would keep it on hand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn double post from the site lagging.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to buy it for $139 per K.  But since their prices went to $170 per K and I have to pay GA state taxes plus shipping, I no longer see this reloaded ammo as a bargain.  But I agree, it is accurate and reliable and the people are great (met them at several Eastman gunshows).  Not sure about the claim that it's loaded to M193 specs though (big deal).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I used to buy it for $139 per K.  But since their prices went to $170 per K and I have to pay GA state taxes plus shipping, I no longer see this reloaded ammo as a bargain.  But I agree, it is accurate and reliable and the people are great (met them at several Eastman gunshows). Not sure about the claim that it's loaded to M193 specs though (big deal).

What I was referring to was " if the bullet was M193 spec".

Danny
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I love canned heat
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got to look at my first Georgia Arms canned heat .223 55gr FMJ.  I've not had the chance to fire any, but I'll report here when I do.

All of the brass is Lake City (which is good).
All of the ammo has been tumbled after loading, so it's nice and clean (which is good).
Primers and case mouths do no have any visible sealant (which was expected)
I found a couple in the top of the can with small dents, but nothing worse than you'd see in a random box of XM193 (and far better than some of the XM193PD I've handled).

The proof will be in the blasting.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm just breaking into a can of .223 Canned Heat.  Nothing odd to report.

Their 124g 9mm, ball and GDHP, is fantastic.  Their 230g .45acp, ball and GDHP, is fantastic.  Considering how many rounds of both I've burned through my pistols, I can't see any reason to not buy their .223 ball ammo.

Of course, money often makes the decision for me.  I'm not a skin-flint, but I'm also not rich.  Wolf works well in my rifle and that Lancer ammo looks like a good purchase.  

I keep my options open, but I won't hesitate to use Georgia Arms.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Okay ... I didn't have much time to blast today, but after I zeroed with my XM193, I fired three magfulls of the Georgia Arms 55gr to test for function.  All of them went bang and rapid firing from prone at 50 yards, I got all of the holes in a large Shoot'N'See target pasted onto an NRA D-1.

Function is 100%.  Zero is close enough to XM193 to not need adjustment.  Accuracy is adequate and at least as good as AE223 or UMC.

I proclaim it "good stuff."

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The downside of using that would be that the primers and bullets aren't sealed so if the rounds are immersed in water you are FUBARED though it is better than Wolf.  I would say it would be a second tier SHTF load bellow the M855, M193 and  Q3131A/Q3131.

The way ammo is righ now I would keep it on hand.

I wouldn't say that lacking a sealer around the primer is that big a problem.  The primer cup seals pretty well in the pocket-GI ammunition is built to withstand conditions that even SHTF ammunition in civilian hands will never see.  Further, with a little bit of nail polish and some concentration, you can seal it all up yourself.  No biggie.  Their primers aren't crimped, either, but how often does a civilian see a real primer setback that impacts weapon function?

The same is true of bullet sealer-GI ammunition MUST have asphaltic varnish sealer, which impacts both storage reilability and bullet pull-and thus pressure curves.  ALL GI ammunition has this.

Not having this or that sealer certainly does NOT mean that ammunition that gets wet or even immersed is spoiled.  It's unlikely that loaded ammunition will actually allow in water if immersed-but then again, this ammunition isn't going to be exposed to underwater pressures like those GI ammunition may face...  While it's not a good thing to get your ammo wet, I certainly wouldn't call it a FUBAR situation.

This sounds like a good reason to experiment with some ammo...  Hmmmm.  Back later!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#35]

I picked up a couple of 500 round cans recently, but haven't shot any yet.  Looked at a couple of handfuls from one can, and it all appeared to be Lake City brass.  Loaded 280 rounds from the other can into mags, and only about 30% was Lake City or Mil Winchester.  The rest was everything under the sun: Remington, commercial Winchester, PMC, Federal, other.

A few round were dented:  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=267024

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Finally got out to shoot some of this, 200rds with failures. I found a few spent cases with tiny cracks in the neck area, not large enough or common enough to concern me. I will be buying more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#37]

I shot 280 rounds of it this weekend.  No problems.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Anyone here get any ammo through them before and if so would you reccomend them? What is the deal with the Canned Heat ammo they are famous for? Thanks for any info.

I have used approximately 10 different calibers for everything from hunting, to self defense, to plinking......from 9mm up to .300 WinMag...and they have always been outstanding with all their products.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top