Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 6:51:45 AM EDT
I have a RRA NM rifle with a 1:8 SS barrel for high power shooting this year. I figure for casual plinking I'll use the Winchester or Federal 55gr stuff, but for matches I was thinking of getting the Black Hills remanufactured 68gr. I see Creedmore and Fulton Armory both have it listed at $349 for a case of 1000 rds.
What do you guys think. Does this sound like the way to go or do you think a different bullet weight might be in order?
I shoot at 200 & 300 yds with a reduced 600 yrd at 300.
Thanks,
 Don
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice site Christian. Good prices too!
Do you think the 68gr is what I need or should I try different ammo first. I know most rifles seem to prefer one over the other. Between the 62, 68, 69 , is there really gonna be much difference? I'm thinking I don't need the 75gr unless I'm shooting at actual 600yds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a RRA Varmint 18" SS barrel and it loves the BH remanufactured (blue box) stuff.  I am getting sub moa 5 shot 100 yd groups with it (3x9 Nikon Monarch).  I am very happy with it, my vote would be to get yourself some.  2Guns
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The local Sportsman's Wharehouse has the BH 68 for around $16/box, if you have one nearby go pick up a few boxes and see how it works.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
look at my site

www.tacticalsupplies.us

MOTHER FUCK take that damned mouse-following text away.  Makes your site seem like it's run by somebody on Geocities.  Or MySpace.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
look at my site

www.tacticalsupplies.us

MOTHER FUCK take that damned mouse-following text away.  Makes your site seem like it's run by somebody on Geocities.  Or MySpace.

Not only is the mouse-following text annoying, but that damn music has to go, also.  I appreciate that it is patriotic and all that, but if I wanted Lee Greenwood blaring, I would have his CD.  I do a lot of my internet browsing at night and the music came roaring out, got the dogs going full bore and woke the wife.  Not cool, dude. Quiet is better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:51:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to try a box before ordering a case, but I don't know if anyone locally sells them. Anyone know if Gander Mountain carries it?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
look at my site

www.tacticalsupplies.us

while I agree with the mouse follower observations, I'm glad I found your site, and will look to you for future items.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
look at my site

www.tacticalsupplies.us

while I agree with the mouse follower observations, I'm glad I found your site, and will look to you for future items.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/thumbsup.gif

+1.

Bookmarked it and I'll peruse when I have a little time.

-K
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'd like to try a box before ordering a case, but I don't know if anyone locally sells them. Anyone know if Gander Mountain carries it?

Gander mountain carries BH blue 68 grainers.  Make sure you check for moly because they have them mixed together.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
look at my site

www.tacticalsupplies.us

Good price on BH blue box.

Keep god out of your store, he is annoying! I bet you even have a jesus bumpersticker on your minivan! Seems to me like someone is compensating for all the sins they have committed!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
look at my site

www.tacticalsupplies.us

Keep god out of your store, he is annoying! I bet you even have a jesus bumpersticker on your minivan! Seems to me like someone is compensating for all the sins they have committed!

I think it's his store and he can put what he wants on there. Who are you to tell him to keep God out of his own website? Do you pay for the hosting?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
look at my site

www.tacticalsupplies.us

Do you pay for the hosting?

If I shop there I do. It's a free country; I'm just offering my advice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nice site Christian. Good prices too!
Do you think the 68gr is what I need or should I try different ammo first. I know most rifles seem to prefer one over the other. Between the 62, 68, 69 , is there really gonna be much difference? I'm thinking I don't need the 75gr unless I'm shooting at actual 600yds.

You're right about that.

I've used the Hornady 68 in Georgia Arms Canned Heat ammo and it shot awesome from 100 through 300 yards.  At 300, it does have a little more drift than the Hornady 75 and the Sierra 77.

Really the only way to tell is to buy a box of each weight and run some groups, preferably at 200 yards.

BTW, rifle used was a RRA NM with a 20" 1-8 SS.

ETA: I would avoid sub 68 grain bullets if you are going to do most of your shooting at 200 and beyond.  Too much wind drift.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Iwent to the range this morning to fire the RRA NM for the first time. My shooting was only at 100yds. Mainly to try the rifle, make sure the mags worked well and sight in at 100yds before I go to the 200yd range.
I went to Gander Mt. and bought a 50rd box of Black Hills 68gr blue box and several boxes of Winchester white box 55gr. I only fired 60rds because I ran out of staples for putting up my targets and the temp was only 35 deg.
I started with the 55gr ammo and was quite pleased with the groups considering this was the first shots fired through this gun.The best I did with both the 55 and 68 was around a 1" group of 5 rds. I was very happy with it.
I did run into one issue though, which is at 100yds, and the rear sight all the way down, I was still shotting about an inch high. My intention was to sight in around 6 clicks up from the bottom at the rear sight by adjusting the front sight post. Not a real problem I guess since all my shooting when it really counts will be at 200 & 300 yds, but I'd like to be able to put them in the bull at 100yds also.
My problem is in trying to adjust the front sight post. I couldn't seem to get the post to turn when I pushed the plunger in with the point of a bullet. Is there a front sight adjusting tool that you guys use?
All in all I couldn't be more pleased with the new rifle. Look forward to shooting for score this summer and hopefully seeing my scores improve over last year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Iwent to the range this morning to fire the RRA NM for the first time. My shooting was only at 100yds. Mainly to try the rifle, make sure the mags worked well and sight in at 100yds before I go to the 200yd range.
I went to Gander Mt. and bought a 50rd box of Black Hills 68gr blue box and several boxes of Winchester white box 55gr. I only fired 60rds because I ran out of staples for putting up my targets and the temp was only 35 deg.
I started with the 55gr ammo and was quite pleased with the groups considering this was the first shots fired through this gun.The best I did with both the 55 and 68 was around a 1" group of 5 rds. I was very happy with it.
I did run into one issue though, which is at 100yds, and the rear sight all the way down, I was still shotting about an inch high. My intention was to sight in around 6 clicks up from the bottom at the rear sight by adjusting the front sight post. Not a real problem I guess since all my shooting when it really counts will be at 200 & 300 yds, but I'd like to be able to put them in the bull at 100yds also.
My problem is in trying to adjust the front sight post. I couldn't seem to get the post to turn when I pushed the plunger in with the point of a bullet. Is there a front sight adjusting tool that you guys use?
All in all I couldn't be more pleased with the new rifle. Look forward to shooting for score this summer and hopefully seeing my scores improve over last year.

This is funny, I shot today and it was about the same tempature here.  I used 2 rounds of XM193 as my sight adjustment tool.  I used one on the plunger end in the little indent and one opposite.  Your sight is probably just a little tighter than mine!  I hope my AR likes the 68's I gotta test it out.!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:My problem is in trying to adjust the front sight post. I couldn't seem to get the post to turn when I pushed the plunger in with the point of a bullet. Is there a front sight adjusting tool that you guys use?

Creedmoor Sports to the rescue
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks SWO, that's just what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I go out of my way to shop at a Christian shop, I dig the mouse text and the music TSC, dont worry about the ungodly they are a small percent of your sales
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've used the Hornady 68 in Georgia Arms Canned Heat ammo and it shot awesome from 100 through 300 yards.  At 300, it does have a little more drift than the Hornady 75 and the Sierra 77.

I was not aware that GA was using the Hornady bullet in their 68 gr loading.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was not aware that GA was using the Hornady bullet in their 68 gr loading.  Interesting.

They don't say who makes the bullet, but there are only five companies that make match bullets in that weight range.

Sierra: 69 gr Match King

Lapua: 70 gr Scenar

Nosler: 69 gr Match

Berger: 70 gr LTB

Hornady: 68 gr HPBT Match

All other match bullets are 60 gr and under or 75 gr and up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#22]
How the GA stuff compare to the BH? any #s on velocity?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#23]
the GA load is advertised at 2800 fps.  $14.00 for 50 rds

Andy
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't say who makes the bullet, but there are only five companies that make match bullets in that weight range.

Sierra: 69 gr Match King

Lapua: 70 gr Scenar

Nosler: 69 gr Match

Berger: 70 gr LTB

Hornady: 68 gr HPBT Match

All other match bullets are 60 gr and under or 75 gr and up.

What about Bergers 73?  Are they not making that one anymore?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, they are.  But me being mathematically anal, I did not include it in the list as it is closer to 75 than to 70.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Andy

2800 fps?  Their webpage shows it at 2600.

Did they tell you something else over the phone?

I would try it again at 2800, but not at 2600.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy

2800 fps?  Their webpage shows it at 2600.

Did they tell you something else over the phone?

I would try it again at 2800, but not at 2600.

That sucks, the Black Hills load is 2850fps, where as GA is only 2600, maybe that's why GA is cheaper.
I wonder if we requested they might load it up right.

Anyone know what velocity this Lancer 68gr BTHP is loaded to? Lancer Ammo
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]
In order to be most effective at bucking wind, 68-69 gr bullets need to be going at least 2800.  2900 to 2950 is preferable.

75s and 77s need to be going 2650 to 2750, at the least.

A 68 at 2600 is not worth buying.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In order to be most effective at bucking wind, 68-69 gr bullets need to be going at least 2800.  2900 to 2950 is preferable.

75s and 77s need to be going 2650 to 2750, at the least.

A 68 at 2600 is not worth buying.

SWO,

how much wind are we talking about? Xmph to make the 68-69grainers sway?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top