Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2006 7:59:05 PM EDT
I was curious.  There is some inexpensive ammo I can buy that is steel cased but nickel plated.  This ammo is not laquered.  Would this ammo be alright to shoot in an ar-15 or should I just stick with brass.

Also, what is the major difference between non-laquered steel casings and brass?  Why would one be better than the other (if one is)?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what brand of ammo you have but as far as the nickel plated steel it should be fine as the nickel provides the lubricity needed . So it dosn't need to be laquer coated . Hope this helps !
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure it is Nickel?  I have only seen Zink coated ammo.  It is on par with Wolf.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It says it is Silver Bear, nickel plated steel cased non laquered ammo.  Thats what it says.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Silver Bear is zinc plated, from Silver Bear's website:

Silver Bear Rifle Ammunition

This high quality ammo features distinctive highly polished zinc plating
on the cartridge case
; hence the “Silver” Bear name. Silver Bear offers high
quality at reasonable prices. Other manufacturers reserve the silver cases for
law enforcement, safari and specialty ammo. This product uses Berdan priming for
long shelf life and sure-fire ignition. Silver Bear is loaded to exacting standards
normally reserved for military specification ammo.
www.gzanders.com/bearammo/sbrifle.html

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Silver Bear is zinc plated, from Silver Bear's website:

Silver Bear Rifle Ammunition

This high quality ammo features distinctive highly polished zinc plating
on the cartridge case
; hence the “Silver” Bear name. Silver Bear offers high
quality at reasonable prices. Other manufacturers reserve the silver cases for
law enforcement, safari and specialty ammo. This product uses Berdan priming for
long shelf life and sure-fire ignition. Silver Bear is loaded to exacting standards
normally reserved for military specification ammo.
www.gzanders.com/bearammo/sbrifle.html

Older Silver Bear was nickel plated. The newer stuff is zinc plated.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top