Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 5:49:25 PM EDT
Any suggestions on a good factory load for the bushmaster varminter black fluted barrel?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My Varminter has done its best accuracy with 2 loads.  The best is the Federal
Gold Match GM223M with 69 grain Sierra Matchking BTHP bullets. (almost 3/4 inch at 100yds)

A really close but cheaper substitute has been the Black Hills (blue box reman) 223 ammo with 68 grain Heavy Match HP bullets. (slightly under one inch at 100 yds.)

This gun really seems to prefer the heavier bullets as it won't shoot the 50-55 grain bullets
worth beans.  The Bushie Varminter is an amazing machine since it shoots as well as 223 bolt
guns I've had. Hope this helps but remember each gun is as individual as people. Try the
stuff in your guns before you stockpile very much of it .
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My 24" Varminter has shot 0.5 MOA or slightly better with Winchester 55 grain Ballistic Silvertips many times, and does about 0.75 MOA with Hornady 75 grain TAP.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Something like Black Hills.  50 gr. V-max sounds about right.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My 24" Varminter has shot 0.5 MOA or slightly better with Winchester 55 grain Ballistic Silvertips many times, and does about 0.75 MOA with Hornady 75 grain TAP.

I wish my Varminter would shoot the lighter weight bullets like that. It seems like any of the
50-55 grain loads I've tried are well over 1 1/4 inch groups. The heavys that I mentioned
are the only ones shooting sub moa.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a BM Varmint rifle and it is probably one of the most accruate rifles I own.  I primarily shoot 45g. Winchester JHP varmint ammo out of this.  It is cheap and accurate.  I consistely shoot 1/2in groups at 100 yards with this ammo. I also shoot some Black hills moly coated rounds up to 68g, but have the best results with the winchester ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top