Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:10:04 PM EDT
I just finished sorting though a box of XM193PD and found 21 rounds with bullets that appeared to be smaller (more pointed) than the rest.  I pulled one of them and weighed the bullet.  62.5g.  XM855 mixed in?  I'm a little concerned that it's a 62.5 gr bullet on a charge for the 55g bullet.  what do you think...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
weird.  Does a Magnet stick to the bullet?  How much powder was in the cartridge?  Pull a "normal" one and weigh it's charge too.... but I probably wouldn't shoot them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have found some 62 gr mixed in with the 55's as well . The 62's are indeed pointier than the 55's. I  tore the rounds apart, and kept the brass, not knowing if they were loaded with a charge for 55 or 62 gr bullets.
I have also found 55's mixed in with 62's. The bullets were more rounded, but still painted green on the tips. I took those rounds apart too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it's more likely that what you got was just floor sweepings from the other assembly line, rather than mis-bulleted rounds from the 55gr line.

Either way, I'd pull 'em down and not take the chance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think it's more likely that what you got was just floor sweepings from the other assembly line, rather than mis-bulleted rounds from the 55gr line.

Either way, I'd pull 'em down and not take the chance.

What would happen if it was shot?  Would the bullet lodge in the barrell?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you had a 62 gr bullet, with a powder charge meant for a 55 gr bullet, you would probably have some serious overpressure problems. It wouldn't surprise me if the weapon had a Kb.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you had a 62 gr bullet, with a powder charge meant for a 55 gr bullet, you would probably have some serious overpressure problems. It wouldn't surprise me if the weapon had a Kb.

I got ya.

I was thinking it would be just the opposite. I have alot to learn.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replys so far.  I'm going to pull one of each and compare the charge wieght but if this would result in a KB then it seems like it would have happened to someone else.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a post on ARFCOM within the last week, of a Bushmaster 20" A-2 that had a Kb. The pics showed the upper in several chunks, and a very messed up bolt carrier. The shooter had only minor injuries, thankfully.

Guess what kind of ammo was in the rifle. It was XM. I don't recall if it was the PD,or boxed though. Kinda makes you wonder though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It was boxed XM.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top