Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2005 8:56:27 PM EDT
I read once that primers can be sealed by painting the backs of the loaded rounds with a thin layer of finger nail polish.  I just bought 300 rounds of Blackhills 68g MHP to keep in the safe for coyote hunting or other purposes more serious than target practice and I thought it might be smart to seal it up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
souds like it would work but Midway sells a pimer sealent that might work better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#2]
How about putting them in a vacuum sealed bag?  Like those food storage vacuum sealers I see on TV?  Then when you need it just slice it open.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Sealing the primers in this way really only helps keep moisture out-and the military does it because their ammo may be submerged, splashed with who knows what, etc.  It's not necessary to preserve ammunition for what civilian users would consider "long term" storage.  The military considers "long term" storage in terms of decades.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How about putting them in a vacuum sealed bag?  Like those food storage vacuum sealers I see on TV?  Then when you need it just slice it open.

I've been using vacumm sealed bags for storage for sometime now. So far it seems to work fine, but the longest stored stuff I've used to date was only 5 years old which wouldn't really qualify as a robust test.
   Just to see how it would go, I one time dropped a bag of ammo into a bucket of water and left it there for 3 months, all rounds fired without problems.
   The biggest issue I have with the vacum approach is it can be a pain to get the bags to stayed sealed. Just dumping rounds into the bag and sealing doesn't work, eventually the rounds poke holes in many of the bags and break the seal. Wrapping them seems to help.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
gorvibub...

Thanks for the tip with Midway, however after reading this review on their website (amazing) I'll probably just get the nail polish...  I will also check MidwayUSA for anything I need.  Any business that includes negative reviews of the products they sale deserves my business

Rating:
Date Posted: 12/3/2004

Review:
After receiving my bottle, I was a little upset to find that it was nothing but clear nail polish with some dies to give it the greenish color. I've had 2 years of organic chemistry, and after reviewing the ingredients label for the Markron sealer and clear nail polish, I found they are essentially the same. I did a side by side test using the sealer and nail polish and found the performance to be the same. I am a little upset with Midway for selling me a $8 bottle of nail polish. I will be asking for a refund.

Was this review helpful? Yes | No
79 found it helpful | 10 did not
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've been thinking about vaccum sealing some ammo, but I have heard and read here that the vacuum process can pop the primers out.  Anybody have this happen?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top