Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 6:01:55 AM EDT
Here is an email from Sierra regarding my request for information on when Sierra would offer the public their 77g. SMK cannelure bullet...

Robert,

We have no plans to offer this bullet to the general public at this time.  We consider this a custom bullet for government use since they spec'd out the cannelure size, depth, and location.  As long as a customer keeps their orders up to a particular level, we allow them to have the exclusive on that bullet.  Although this is a different situation and no exclusivity was asked for, we have our machines running this bullet every moment we are operating the plant and keep this for their exclusive use.  Offering this bullet to the general public would only increase demand and we do not want to run the military short to service the public at this time.

Once things change overseas, we may look at putting this bullet on the market if the demand is still there.  

We find most would rather use the standard 77 (as the Special Forces do) instead of taking our perfect jacket with a gear ran over it!  Our guys shake their heads every time they watch our great 77's fall out of the cannelure machine....
Thank you and have a great New Years.

Matt Reams
Sierra Bullets

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone is a little out of touch i think.....

Granted the 77grSMK even with the canlure isn't the best from a terminal ballistics aspect so....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, the cannelured round is NOT necessary for use with AR15s. I been slinging thousands of 'em for years with no need for the cannelure at all.

Mike

ps - you can always buy them "cannelured" from the EE (as there's a guy there that sells 'em) or purchase a machine and do them yourself.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Granted the 77grSMK even with the canlure isn't the best from a terminal ballistics aspect so....

Yeah, but trying to replicate what Black Hills puts out was fun... If I can only find out the powder they use....?

My focus is back on the 75g. Hornady OTM....

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, but trying to replicate what Black Hills puts out was fun... If I can only find out the powder they use....?

Rmpl

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=9&t=419366, may be some help for ya...

Mike
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rmpl

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=9&t=419366, may be some help for ya...

Mike

Yep, tried those... very nice and very close. I haven't had the time to truly experiment with Varget -vs- TAC...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yup.  Ask him to come over to the boards and search or hang out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Man, that guy's got some issues...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top