Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 8:08:31 PM EDT
What is the best 223 ammo for ballistics for a 20" 1:7 twist ???  I'm looking to shoot roughly 200-300 yards max.  Would 75gr Tap be my best bet??
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the best 223 ammo for ballistics for a 20" 1:7 twist ???  I'm looking to shoot roughly 200-300 yards max.  Would 75gr Tap be my best bet??

go out and buy boxes of all the different ammo you can and shoot it all up, while carefully recording the results. take your time, dont rush. Eliminate all the variables possible to leave just the gun as the single factor.

There is no true answer to what ammo is better in what barrel, barrels are like women, tooooooooo fucking picky.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Which sort of ballistics?  Internal, external, or terminal?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a M16A4 upper on a Colt LEO lower and a Trijicon 3.5 scope that is getting just over MOA with MK262 and Black Hills 75 and 77 g loads. I have not tried many 55 g loads but so far it shots win white box just under 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The heaviest projectile, that shoots well in *your* rifle.  Black Hills 77gr loaded with sierra matchkings will likely do the trick.  But - at 300 yds max, you could likely go with the Hornady 68's, or SMK 69's and do just about at well.  Heavier projectiles are better at wind.  Ballistically, its a drop chart, and at those range the load will matter a bit more than the projectile.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top