Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:44:14 AM EDT
This may be in the "who cares" catagory, but I've seen worse postings.
Oh yes, I always see postings on how great the gun looks, but I'm one of those that kind of looks for results.
Went to the range with my RRA Elite CAR-4 after I finalized my sights (AP ML3/2moa, GG&G A2 rear BUIS) and my scope.  I had a variety of ammo. In the 55 years or that I have been shooting, I have learned that the "magic" load just doesn't exist. Too many variables on terminal ballistics, not to mention all the other factors that enter into the accuraacy side. So, I don't happen to be one of those in search of the "Holy Ammo", just that ammo that is readily available, is reliable and delivers projectiles downrange where I designate to the best of my ability and then that of my weapon.

Windy day at the range (when isn't it in TX?), so much so that even my ample ballast wobbled around a bit.  Kept the range at 50 yards since I was sighting in and testing my assortment of ammo. This included:
1) Q3131
2) WWB (Wally World)
3) BH 75gr OTM
4) Dallas Reloading Supply 68gr SMK
5) UltraMax 55gr SP (Cabela's Bulk pack)
6) My 62 gr Sierra 62gr SP reloads

Total of 320 rds fired, no FTE, FTF, no hicups any kind.  4-20rd mags, 6-30rd mags, all USGI.

On Target 1, I had some sighting in rounds for the Aimpoint, BUIS and a couple for the scope. I was thrilled at how well the BUIS/Aimpoint cowitnessing worked out as I had only to lower the front sight a couple of clicks.  My laser bore sighter worked very well on windage.

Top Right, my first 30 rds Q3131 with the Aimpoint (I made windage corrections after the first few)
Bot Right, 12 rds Q3131, confirming POA
Bot Left, 25 rds Q3131, BUIS
Top left, 20 rds WWB, Scope (wind affected the left and bottom fliers, that's my story and I'm sticking to it)
Center, 10 rds, my rlds, scope (before I added some elevation anticipating a session at 100 yds).

Top left, 25 rds BH 75gr OTM, scope.
Top right, 20 rds DRS 68gr SMK, scope.
Bot right, 30 rds Q3131, scope (bottom 3 fliers, me anticipating and pushing against wind).
Bot Left, 10 rds BH 75gr OTM, scope, yes, wind and the left flier.
Top left, 25 rds BH 75gr OTM, scope, two right fliers = me being tired, wobbly and old eyes.
Center, 20 rds Ultramax 55gr SP, scope.

After initial sight settings, no adjustments or "Kentucky" windages were made.  I'd say the accuracy of the ammo I used is pretty damn consistant. Ammo is good, my RRA AR is great and I did OK for an old f**t.[

Color me happy

ETA Corrected urls, I hope.
ETA: Damn, those pictures sure came BIG!
ETA: total rds fired and functioning.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a great day at the range!  

This is my kind of range report.  Looks like the RRA will do its part when you do yours!

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the report
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems plenty accurate.  Isn't funs shooting all those different kinds of ammo?  Thanks for sharing.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top