Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2005 7:23:39 PM EDT
I recently bought an ammo can full of this .308 ammo on strippers in bando's.  Anyone know what it is and if it's any good?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Indian 7.62mm -  
I would suggest plinking only,
Very very unlikely to be anything like match grade

If it shoots enjoy it, I wouldn't shoot it in anything valuable,
(not the best ammo in the world but not the worst.......)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Some more info for you:-

If it had an OFV headstamp it was made at the Ordanace factory at Verangoan on American made machines. Since yours is KF it was made at Kirkee, ammunition of Indian origin ( + indian machinery) can be a lottery to say the least!

We (UK MIL) junked all our Indian ammo into the Irish Sea in the late 80's -
A contract buy for training ammuntion (as a result of a lot of UK RG 7.62 / 9mm being used in the 1982 Falkalnds war)

It suffered inconsistant powder charges, if you are worried, try weighing a random batches of rounds before shooting them....

To give you a baseline:-
USA M80 7.62mm ball has a charge weight variation of 6.63grains (or about 80fps per grain of powder difference)

If the rounds are ok for weight then try them, if they still don't perform normaly bin them, as we used to refer to the Indian propellant as being more akin to Curry powder than an explosive!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info,  I bought these from a guy for 15 cents/rd.   I thought maybe I got a good deal but maybe not.  I was going to run these through my AR 10's but maybe I best go bolt.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
KF headstamped indian is also known to be corrosive.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I recently bought an ammo can full of this .308 ammo on strippers in bando's.  Anyone know what it is and if it's any good?  Thanks in advance.

i have read numerous ammo threads about indian ammo specifically.  most people i have heard that have the stuff in bandos and on strippers is good ammo.  my guess is it will run great in you ar10.  if youre scared try a few random ones in your bolt gun and see what theyre like.

i use indian 308 stamped OFV constantly in HK91s, FALs and Cetmes.  i have zero problems.  all indian ammo has a stigma of some sorts.  but i love it, shots everytime for me and is actually accurate enough for me to hit milk jugs consistantly at 50-100yards with iron sights.

if it came in bandos and on strippers it most likely was front line ammo.  which means that its going to be very reliable.  the only KF stamped ammo that i have heard to be a problem was the ones wrapped in plastic packs of 10 in an ammo can.

good find.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
As with ALL surplus ammunition: -

The head stamp / date stamp alone is no guarantee of quality / safety.

The Lot or Batch number tied to that head stamp or date stamp, the storage conditions before you acquired it and finally, why it was made surplus!

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top