Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 3:58:36 PM EDT
Just wondering if the Greek Olympic 30.06 ammo is any good? Any history of problems?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used Olympic 7.62x54 and 7.62x39..

Unimpressive, dirty, and inconsistant. Not sure about the 30.06, but that was enough to make me steer far away for good.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#2]
To say that the folks in Gunboards' Ammo board think very poorly of Olympic ammunition in general is an understatement.  Here it is.  Do a search on "olympic" to see what nasty things folks think about it, particularly their .30-'06.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
When I had a 30.06 savage bolt gun, I put 1k of olympic 30.06 thru it before selling it. So so ammo, not accurate but decent for plinking. A few of them had cracks in where the bullet was seated and dings and dents. A few time the case got stuck in the chamber after firing and I had to shove a pipe down the barrel to get it out. Id say stay away from this ammo if your looking for at least half-decent 30.06 ammo
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback, looks like I will avoid buying any Olympic Ammo!

Westwind1
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Tacked at the top of this board is the "Ammunition review and reference", it shows the results of surveys about different brands of 5.56/223 ammo.  When you look on that list go to the very bottom, the worst ammo of all the brands, it's right there, Olympic, of the people who have shot that ammo 51.7% had enough problems with it they wouldn't buy it again, it doesn't get much worse than that!

Those results are for a different caliber, but it does indicate a really serious problem with quality that would usually affect any ammo from that company.

Ammunition review and reference
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just wondering if the Greek Olympic 30.06 ammo is any good? Any history of problems?

Thanks

It generally gets poor reviews on the various Garand boards.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The Olympic .30-06 has some interesting properties. It's reasonably accurate, only one out of 400 rounds failed to chamber in my Remington 700, and doesn't seem to be lacking in power.

But it's dirty, smelly, and a pain in the ass to clean. It seems like they're propelling it with charcoal or something.

However, it has one very fun property: It has a HUGE muzzle flash. And by HUGE, I don't mean large. I mean gigantic. The ball of flame from the front of my rifle was the length of my rifle, and maybe 2-3 feet wide. It certainly would be an interesting experience for a full-auto nighttime shoot where it'd look impressive.

Seriously, I had range officers and other shooters asking what new ThumpinBlitzenBoomin' round I was firing, and when I informed them it was "cheap Greek .30-06" they were amazed.

But unless you like cleaning for a long, long time after shooting it, it's probably not worth it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top