BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/22/2005 1:41:16 PM EDT
what they get shot with?

I've spent a LOT of time reading the oracle, testing rounds at the range, and lots of money on the best ammo I can afford (XM193/Wolf/Q3131(A).  And still some of the discussions here, related to ammo, squeeze my brain.

I can't help but wonder if Zombies spend that much time puzzling out the ammo question.

If someone is shooting at you, do you wait to see what their shooting and then go "whoa dude, their throwing WWB. i'd better use the m855!"  Or " there’s only 10 Zombies so I'll waste the Wolf on them and save the XM193 for the extraterrestrials."

Just a silly question...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
the true answer is buy nohing but wolf in 7.62 x 39mm then just use your AK (I should hope you have one if not JOIN USSSSS) and just let the bullets fly
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Experienced Zombie killers know that zombies prefer being "laid to rest" with XM193 placed carefully in the head after most of the mag has been emptied with wild body shots.  This way, they can reach their final destination and they can leave their starving cohorts to fight over your brains while you are trying to change mags.  They get relief, everyone else suffers.  

Your best option is to use the most reliable ammo you can afford, place your shots, and don't stray far from the stockpile of mags and ammo.  

Having lots of buddy's that limp or run slow helps to keep you from their grasp too.  

FYI, just had my 8th knee operation and plan to stand and fight with lots of loaded mags.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the true answer is buy nohing but wolf in 7.62 x 39mm then just use your AK (I should hope you have one if not JOIN USSSSS) and just let the bullets fly

Will 7.62X39 stay crunchier longer in Zombie brains?  And do they prefer Chech, Chineese, Romaninan, or Russian?

An AK is on the list for 06.  Just have to learn more about them.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Experienced Zombie killers know that zombies prefer being "laid to rest" with XM193 placed carefully in the head after most of the mag has been emptied with wild body shots.  This way, they can reach their final destination and they can leave their starving cohorts to fight over your brains while you are trying to change mags.  They get relief, everyone else suffers.  

Your best option is to use the most reliable ammo you can afford, place your shots, and don't stray far from the stockpile of mags and ammo.  

Having lots of buddy's that limp or run slow helps to keep you from their grasp too.  

FYI, just had my 8th knee operation and plan to stand and fight with lots of loaded mags.

Ok your on the team!

Mother-in- Law had knee replacement 3 years ago. She's a nice lady but I hate going through airport security with her.  Can you kvetch a Zombie to death?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I must say, upon reading this post I was not disappointed!  I enjoy my share of Zombie movies and have even had a few dreams at night after watching them.  I wake up, and things have went to hell.  The sirens are blowing, things are burning and zombies are roaming.  I climb up on the roof, setup the bipod and begin to scope zombies around the house.  I shoot for hours like shooting prarie dogs.  I always wake up about the time I run out of ammo  During the dreams, I'm trying different mags with different ammo to see what works best.  I even stop and clean the gun every couple hundred of rounds.  From what I can remember, the 55 grain V-Max seem to do the most damage!

Am I weird for having dreams like this?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Am I weird for having dreams like this?

Nope, sounds pretty normal to me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You should use the new "blended metal" rounds, they killed zombies in Iraq instantly with a buttock shot. Don't even have to aim for the head any more.

I have heard that M855 will not do enough damage out of an M4 carbine though, they shot one zombie 27 times in the head and he still managed to bite someone before he was finally dispatched with a well placed .22 LR shot to the left eye.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I worried about the zombies not going down with the weak 5.56 round.  For this reason, I'm usually carrying the mossberg 500 on my back and at least the .45 glock or 1911 on my side.  

You can never be to careful nowadays.  What if my worthless AR15 jammed up in a time of need!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
If you run out of ammo in your dreams, it sounds like you need to invest in a bayonet.  We all know that buttstrokes are a waste of time on zombies.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#10]
2 to the chest and one to the head and the reciever won't have to worry about anything ever again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Any .223 or 5.56 is going to ruin a Zombie's day if it hits in the noggin.  Shot placement is everything with Zombies (unless you're using a flamethrower).

All of that S&B 55gr that won't fragment is ideal for Zombie duty!  The same goes for various varmint loads that won't penetrate adequate in regular people.

Bottom line is we could fight Zombies effectively with our .22LRs, but using ARs makes us feel better about ourselves when we do it.  And there is nothing wrong with that!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Anotbody else feel better about watching DOTD with their trusty AR in their lap "just in case"?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

All of that S&B 55gr that won't fragment is ideal for Zombie duty!  The same goes for various varmint loads that won't penetrate adequate in regular people.

S&B dont run good in my gun.  I had about 200 rounds with about half of it FTE and get stuck in the chamber.  The extractor was dang near ripping the rim off.

Of course I know the Zombies dont really care about it
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anotbody else feel better about watching DOTD with their trusty AR in their lap "just in case"?

Yep, me. While I'm loadin' stripper clips up.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that you mention it, I watched Shawn of the Dead while cleaning my AR and dividing up ammo into ammo cans.  All those Brits turned into Zombies because all they had to fight with was darts and beer.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#16]
    I once heard a zombie say "he's using the new polymer-coated Wolf, let's get him, boys!"  True story.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I think a Zombie will only go down with a head shot.  The brain is the only thing keeping the body moving.  If you destroy the brain, which controls the motor functions, the zombie will go down.
That being said, any accurate rifle will do.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I like to have my AR on my lap when I watch reruns of "Leave it to Beaver."  I need a bit more security for watching DOTD!  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
S&B dont run good in my gun.  I had about 200 rounds with about half of it FTE and get stuck in the chamber.  The extractor was dang near ripping the rim off.

I hate it when that happens!  I fired over a case through my guns with no problems ...

Maybe the Zombies did something to your gun?

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Any .223 or 5.56 is going to ruin a Zombie's day if it hits in the noggin.  Shot placement is everything with Zombies (unless you're using a flamethrower).

Bottom line is we could fight Zombies effectively with our .22LRs, but using ARs makes us feel better about ourselves when we do it.  And there is nothing wrong with that!

not to mention you could take advantage of the AR15's accuracy and get head shots and longer distances.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate it when that happens!  I fired over a case through my guns with no problems ...

Maybe the Zombies did something to your gun?

I think they did something to the ammo.  But it still shot great as a single shot AR15
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I just wanted to say...

I love you guys!

AR's, Zombies, Ammo... I love it here.

When the SHTF we all need to link up in a mall, underground compound, or fortified city somewhere!

BTW, I think Wolf will be just fine w/ me.  I can buy twice as much for my $$$.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Alright, I have a zombie situation... which zombie movie had, near the end, the surviving heros watching the sun come up, to reveal the countryside effectively scoured clean by vigilante redneck patrols?  Several Zombies were strung up in a tree by their feet, and their spasming corpses were being used for target practice by beer-swilling hillbillies?  I MUST see that movie again!  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Was that last year's arfcom meet,  Gorilla?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Gorilla, that movie is the newest remake of the classic "night of the living dead".  Updated nicely with AR's for the hill billie's guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Must stay on topic ... what kind of ammo did they use on the zombie targets?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Here ya go.  It was Night of the living Dead 1990'

Linky!

Oh, by the way, I watched Dawn of the Dead 2004 tonight again to study tactics.  A shot gun with buck and an AR would be perfect in a bad situation.

Most guys screwed up by not running when they should instead of trying to stay and shoot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I think what you ask is a very important, and if I may say serious question.  The "zombie" epidemic is imminent and preparation is paramount for survival.  Only the well trained and well prepared will make it through alive.  Ammo selection is critical, and should be based on head wound ballistics.  Now most of the gellitan tests represent more of a center mass hit.  The skull, being more ossified, is not factored in.  I would suggest finding a round with deeper penetration and good fragmentation.  If a round fails to fragment, then any shot below the nose will be virtually ineffective.  It will be arduous to make carefully aimed forehead shots when 3 or more of the undead are sprinting in your direction  (Yes, they do run!).  If using an AR I would recommend the 75 tap round, but of course have pleanty of M193 as back up.  Hopefully, when the sh*t goes down we can all meet up and fortify ourselves in the closest shopping mall!    In the mean time keep an eye on your six, and don't let any of your appendages hang over the bed when you sleep!  THEY WAIT FOR THAT!  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here ya go.  It was Night of the living Dead 1990'

Linky!

Oh, by the way, I watched Dawn of the Dead 2004 tonight again to study tactics.  A shot gun with buck and an AR would be perfect in a bad situation.

Most guys screwed up by not running when they should instead of trying to stay and shoot.

First time that I've seen that one.  Damn Zombies can move fast!!!  All screeching and hellish.  Yikes!  Think I prefer the slow moving NOTLD type where they take their time slurping out your brains.

Also,  They seemed to show no appreciation for either ammo or gun choice which I find to be very inconsiderate.  Nobody likes a rude boorish Zombie.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks guys!    Wolf will work on Zombies... they don't deserve the better ammo.

A well-regulated, AR totin' militia being necessary for zombie defense, the rights of the people to noggin-pop Zombies with AR-15s WILL NOT be denied.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I forgot about those high-speed Dawn of the Dead Remake Zombies.

A Remington 1100 or 11-87 or Winchester SX2 Practical with a long mag tube loaded with 00 buckshot is probably necessary to supplement your AR.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't forget to choose a mall near a gun store.  Just in case you need a fill up on ammo.  Especially handgun ammo.  That seems to be real important in case a zombie springs up on you and you don't have the time or space to swing you AR around.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#33]
It don't matter WHAT you use, just WHERE you hit.

"Git the brain, git the ghoul......yup!"
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I will admit, that in the first "Dawn of the Dead" 1978, there was a sporting goods store in the mall that had rifles, handguns, ammo, etc.  It's not that way in Kansas anymore by any means.  I don't think you'll find a gun store in a mall.  If one is going to hide out in a mall, you need to pack all your ammo with you!

Does it bother anyone, that a topic about Zombies has two pages worth of info now?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Does it bother anyone, that a topic about Zombies has two pages worth of info now?  

No, No, must have more info if we are going to beat these things, more info, or was it more ammo? Or was it more 00 buck, or was it....... aw hell, where did I leave my applesauce?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I will admit, that in the first "Dawn of the Dead" 1978, there was a sporting goods store in the mall that had rifles, handguns, ammo, etc.  It's not that way in Kansas anymore by any means.  I don't think you'll find a gun store in a mall.  If one is going to hide out in a mall, you need to pack all your ammo with you!

We have a Sports Authority in the Dolphin Mall down here that sells guns and ammo!  They even have some decent guns too! I've seen Beretta 92's and 96's and some 1911's.

As for zombie destruction, we are forgetting a perhaps even deadlier threat: zombified dogs.  If you have seen Resident Evil, you know that zombie dogs are a very real and very grave threat that can not be ignored.  They are fast moving, and have small heads.

That said, i'd like a masterkey shotgun slung under my AR with a good supply of 00buck loaded to it.  The AR will be loaded with 45gr varmint hp's, because i've seen what they do to the little critters, and i want the pink mist.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
2 to the chest and one to the head and the reciever won't have to worry about anything ever again.

Yeah, if you're using a Vulcan Receiver!

I just recorded NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990) tonight, the dreams will be a good test of my latest equipment upgrades!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that you mention it, I watched Shawn of the Dead while cleaning my AR and dividing up ammo into ammo cans.  All those Brits turned into Zombies because all they had to fight with was darts and beer.

Don't forget their highly lethal stash of uber tactical LP's
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#39]
You guys might want to checkout this forum:  
www.antizombieleague.org/modules/content/index.php?id=1
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Speaking of DOTD 2004. Why didn't Andy get a 22lr rifle and a few bricks of ammo and knock down a serious number of zombies?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Kill It Now

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#42]
^

Nice zombie
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#43]
is that Uncle Rico?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Deleted, too much trouble..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#45]
If you hate to have the mother-inlaw, sister-inlaw, etc. come to your home un-announced, just have the AR in your lap as your watching the game or whatever, and befor you know it it's home sweet home without them.  It works for me, but then again they are big time anti gun people, darn, to bad for me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#46]
You guys have it all wrong!

Ammo arguments are nothing more than an exercise in mental masturbation.  Whether you are trying to protect yourself from zombies or from the cast of FRIENDS.

ONLY HEAD SHOTS COUNT!

The specific load is secondary or even tertiary to shot placement and tactics.  If you miss that head shot and you are stark naked in your driveway in the snow, the zombie isn't going to be repelled by the awesome sight and sound of a bunch of steel-case-commie-crap-ammo empty cases on the ground.  Same goes for the box of M193 serving as nothing more than a white-trash cooler keeping your Coors Lights at drinking temperature (whatever that may be).

Get that head shot off the first time, every time!  Lots of gooey bits behind the eyes and nose that will incapacitate your reanimated human so they can serve as a flower bed come spring.  You will know the zombies I drop from the tell tale signs of racer934 dropping those stinking, shuffling, mumbling crack heads zombies because they will be face down/ass up with a rose bush growing out of their once reanimated rectums.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You should use the new "blended metal" rounds, they killed zombies in Iraq instantly with a buttock shot. Don't even have to aim for the head any more.

Dude, that is so funny ... I read that post a while back too...

Blended metal BS galore

- rem
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, that is so funny ... I read that post a while back too...

Blended metal BS galore

- rem

I think I read somthing similar. Isn't it suppose to be somthing like 35gr and loaded to 4,500fps? Someone from Blackwater I think was swearing by it because it blew the guy's buttox away and he was instantly dead.  

Edit: Found it

The .223 isn't as impressive as the other calibers

RBCD Ammo
32 ACP 37 gr. TFSP 1815 fps / 271 flbs
380 ACP 45 gr. TFSP 1500 fps / 283 flbs
9mm 60 gr. TFSP 2010 fps / 539 flbs
357 Sig. 60 gr. TFSP 2410 fps / 774 flbs
38 Spl. 60 gr. TFSP 1705 fps / 385 flbs
357 Mag. 60 gr. TFSP 1975 fps / 520 flbs
40 S&W 77 gr. TFSP 2100 fps / 754 flbs
10 mm 77 gr. TFSP 2420 fps / 1015 flbs
45 ACP 90 gr. TFSP 2036 fps / 828 flbs
45 ACP 115 gr. TFSP 1650 fps / 700 flbs
223 Rem. 37 gr. TFSP 3880 fps / 1337 flbs
223 Rem. 43 gr. TFSP 3800 fps / 1379 flbs
308 Win. 112 gr. TFSP 3650 fps / 3314 flbs
308 Win. 124 gr. TFSP 3600 fps / 3570 flbs
30-06 Spf. 112 gr. TFSP 3650 fps / 3314 flbs
300 Win. 112 gr. TFSP 3800 fps / 3560 flbs
300 Win. 130 gr. TFSP 3720 fps / 4050 flbs
300 Rem UM 130 gr. TFSP 4075 fps / 4795 flbs
50 BMG 500 gr. TFSP 3870 fps / 17796 flbs
50 BMG 200 gr. SMBTSP 5900 fps / 19329 flbs

Here is a link to the buttox story

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
what they get shot with?

I've spent a LOT of time reading the oracle, testing rounds at the range, and lots of money on the best ammo I can afford (XM193/Wolf/Q3131(A).  And still some of the discussions here, related to ammo, squeeze my brain.

I can't help but wonder if Zombies spend that much time puzzling out the ammo question.

If someone is shooting at you, do you wait to see what their shooting and then go "whoa dude, their throwing WWB. i'd better use the m855!"  Or " there’s only 10 Zombies so I'll waste the Wolf on them and save the XM193 for the extraterrestrials."

Just a silly question...

You should read this book.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1400049628.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I think I read somthing similar. Isn't it suppose to be somthing like 35gr and loaded to 4,500fps? Someone from Blackwater I think was swearing by it because it blew the guy's buttox away and he was instantly dead.  

Edit: Found it

The .223 isn't as impressive as the other calibers

RBCD Ammo
32 ACP 37 gr. TFSP 1815 fps / 271 flbs
380 ACP 45 gr. TFSP 1500 fps / 283 flbs
9mm 60 gr. TFSP 2010 fps / 539 flbs
357 Sig. 60 gr. TFSP 2410 fps / 774 flbs
38 Spl. 60 gr. TFSP 1705 fps / 385 flbs
357 Mag. 60 gr. TFSP 1975 fps / 520 flbs
40 S&W 77 gr. TFSP 2100 fps / 754 flbs
10 mm 77 gr. TFSP 2420 fps / 1015 flbs
45 ACP 90 gr. TFSP 2036 fps / 828 flbs
45 ACP 115 gr. TFSP 1650 fps / 700 flbs
223 Rem. 37 gr. TFSP 3880 fps / 1337 flbs
223 Rem. 43 gr. TFSP 3800 fps / 1379 flbs
308 Win. 112 gr. TFSP 3650 fps / 3314 flbs
308 Win. 124 gr. TFSP 3600 fps / 3570 flbs
30-06 Spf. 112 gr. TFSP 3650 fps / 3314 flbs
300 Win. 112 gr. TFSP 3800 fps / 3560 flbs
300 Win. 130 gr. TFSP 3720 fps / 4050 flbs
300 Rem UM 130 gr. TFSP 4075 fps / 4795 flbs
50 BMG 500 gr. TFSP 3870 fps / 17796 flbs
50 BMG 200 gr. SMBTSP 5900 fps / 19329 flbs

Here is a link to the buttox story

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top