Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 1:01:46 PM EDT
Still new here but trying to pick up as much info as I can. My question is about using Wolf ammo. Has anyone had any problems with it or would the quality of it be comparable to the Lake City PD stuff.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a frequently discussed topic.  The majority of people seem to favor using Wolf ammo for general blasting along with statements that it is dirty, somewhat low powered, and not overally accurate.  When Wolf switched to the polymer coated cases I started using it in my M16 and have shot over 3000 rounds without any problems.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had NO problems with the Poly Coated stuff. It WAY cheaper than PD or any other brass cased ammo
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed to both of the above.

It's cheap. So for "plinking" or blasting, it's your low cost alternative.

But, it's inconsistent, low powered, and exceptionally dirty. None of that will harm your rifle.

The XM193PD are "3rds". Be careful and inspect every round before you load it. I've seen majorly dented cases, bullets set too far back. It's hot loaded ammo, but not especially accurate.

I personally prefer using Black Hills Blue Box stuff. Very consistent and the same price as XM193 anymore ($220/case). Seems to be more accurate, but is loaded to .223 pressures rather than 5.56 (not hot loads).
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent a letter to DPMS (the maker of my rifle) and got this as part of the reply.

"I know that WOLF has change to no lacquer coating on their ammo. This is
a good thing, this will help keep the chamber clean. They are still
using the steel cases and in my opinion I would still stay away. As you
stated, this can still be hard on your chamber if the cases have a
little surface rust, dirt, etc on it. I also know from experience that
the WOLF ammo is not as accurate it shots 3" high and left with my AR
rifles."

Take it as you may, but I think I will still stay away from Wolf.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I sent a letter to DPMS (the maker of my rifle) and got this as part of the reply.

rifles."

I'll stay away from DPMS and shoot Wolf instead.  It is not SHTF ammo, but in my guns it is nearly as accurate and just as reliable as my US and IMI full power loads and fairly cheap.  

How is a little surface rust or dirt going to be hard on a chrome lined 4150 steel chamber?  Sounds like the usual gun store BS.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I did some math on the matter.

Browsing the DPMS toy store on their website, I priced a new chrome B/BC and a new barrel.  The total came out to a little under $400.  At a $60 per case savings for Wolf, you pay for a new B/BC and bbl after 7 cases (actually 6.66, but try to buy .66 cases...)

I might just shoot Wolf afterall, and replace my rifle guts as needed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Shouldnt a barrels service life be longer than 7000 rounds, I was thinkin like 15-20K
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
exactally.  you'll save more than the cost of the barrel before you tear it up to the point of needing replacement
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
So for I have put around 1,500 rounds threw a Bush M4A3 16" barrel without a problem. Which is why I was worried. I figured with the price I was paying there must be something wrong with it (nothing in life can be that good of a thing). Only thing I have noticed is it gets dirty quicker and it's not as highly accurate, which is fine by be for practice rounds.

This is slighty of topic but do tracers wear down a barrel quicker?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rifles."

I'll stay away from DPMS and shoot Wolf instead.  It is not SHTF ammo, but in my guns it is nearly as accurate and just as reliable as my US and IMI full power loads and fairly cheap.  

How is a little surface rust or dirt going to be hard on a chrome lined 4150 steel chamber?  Sounds like the usual gun store BS.

I shoot Wolf in my DPMS, Ive had some trouble getting it to feed well with the older lacquer stuff, the newer polymer stuff works fine. As for accuracy, Ive got  under 1.25" groups at 100yds, compared to under 1" with Federal AE. Fine for varmint shooting up to 300yds, range shooting, plinking. Good for just about anything but match shooting.

There are probably 1000+ posts here about Wolf. Some people swear by it, some swear at it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So for I have put around 1,500 rounds threw a Bush M4A3 16" barrel without a problem. Which is why I was worried. I figured with the price I was paying there must be something wrong with it (nothing in life can be that good of a thing). Only thing I have noticed is it gets dirty quicker and it's not as highly accurate, which is fine by be for practice rounds.

This is slighty of topic but do tracers wear down a barrel quicker?

Found my own answers at http://www.ammo-oracle.com/

Thanks for the help before hand.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top