Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:31:37 PM EDT
I have searched w/o success as to what the difference between these bullets are. Everyone talks aout the BH 75grOTM but all I can find is 75gr MHP. Is OTM generic for any hollow point bullet? Please help! My search-fu is weak.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have searched w/o success as to what the difference between these bullets are. Everyone talks aout the BH 75grOTM but all I can find is 75gr MHP. Is OTM generic for any hollow point bullet? Please help! My search-fu is weak.

Yes.  Hornady makes the 75's, whatever you want to call them BTHP, MHP, OTM.  Sierra and Nosler make the 77 BTHP, MHP, OTM.  The terms are somewhat generic.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Hollow Point Boat Tail = Open Tip Match

A different naming convention to comply with the Geneva Convention.  The OTM is used to describe the bullet as a precision/match bullet not designed to violently fragment upon impact (like typical varmint bullets).  Typical match bullets are only a hollowpoint because of the manufacturing process.  The bases are not exposed and they have to be swaged in some direction, so its swaged to the tip.  The new naming convetion allows the DoD to use it in combat operations.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
IF at all, HAGUE convention. Plus, I do not think the bullet manufacturers took the Hague accords as a basis to find a suitable name for a bullet type that was conceived as MATCH, not COMBAT round until some higher levels decided a designated MATCH bullet can be used in combat too, since it is not DESIGNED to cause unessecary sufferings (it was designed to punch paper).

;)
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not believe the open tip was designed for expansion.  If memory serves me, the open tip was put in place to move the bullet's center mass back a bit further to increase accuracy.

Lighter weight bullets (varmit) have the hollow point designed to cause expansion so as to create a shallow wound cavity.  Varmit = small, small animal.

For the two-legged critters (bad guys), fragmentation is what will cause the quickest incapacitation.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, open tip was designed because of the limitations of manufacture (tolerances). In open tip rounds you have a way better possibility to produce a bullet which has no (or at least way lower) inertial disharmonics (like with a badly adjusted or missing wheel weight on a car) like for example a fmj.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top