Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2005 12:45:49 PM EDT
Just got back from the gunshow and there's a guy that has a couple thousand rounds of 308 in green 20 round boxes,with yellow lettering and the brand name on the boxes is called CAVIM.

I remember reading somewhere that this is pretty good stuff,but not really sure?

175.00 per thousand.

Not a bad price,is it worth it???????

TIA.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot a lot of it and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Venesuelan sp? I have never personally shot it but on 2 other M14 boards most seem to like it. Its been compared to Port.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a bad lot of it years ago, but the 10k I've been working on has all been great.

The brass is softer than others and the case necks are a little thicker.

The price is right....it went for about $147/K seven years ago if I remember correctly.

I'd buy it if I came across it, just haven't seen it in a few years.

By the way....it doesn't compare to Port.......Port is much better although its berdan primed, but CAVIM is still good ammo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a bad experience with CAVIM in my HK91 about ten years ago.  Black tarry residue gummed up the chamber and it caused the only malfunction I ever had with that rifle(FTEx)  I don't use it any more.  I don't know what kind of llama poo they use for powder, but, what a fookin mess.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your help,I'm going to pass.

The RK show here in Las Vegas 308 prices are,

Port-44.00, 200 round can on links.

South African,28.95,140 round battlepack or 218.00 for 980 round can.

I could'nt find any Austrailan or Radway.

And one guy is selling reloaded 308 Black Tip for pretty much a 1.00 a round.18.95 for a 20 pack.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had a bad experience with CAVIM in my HK91 about ten years ago.  Black tarry residue gummed up the chamber and it caused the only malfunction I ever had with that rifle(FTEx)  I don't use it any more.  I don't know what kind of llama poo they use for powder, but, what a fookin mess.

+1  but it ws an FAL
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  but it ws an FAL

Both guns are ammo finnicky.  The stuff works in everything else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  but it ws an FAL

Both guns are ammo finnicky.  The stuff works in everything else.

what's everything else ?  M1A ?  AR10 ?

I didn't even think about trying it my POS AR10, that wouldn't even eat new factory ammo
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have fired a couple hundred rounds of it in my M1-A. Functioned just fine, but not the most accurate ammo I have shot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have fired a couple hundred rounds of it in my M1-A. Functioned just fine, but not the most accurate ammo I have shot.

I'll agree with that, but its not the worst I've used either. I've used it in a Savage bolt gun and an M1A and consistantly hit the bottom end of a Tannerite bottle at 100yds.  For the money, it was/is good shooting ammo. I just shot 500rds of it the other day and was picking off clays with a 1919 at 100 yds.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top