Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:18:36 AM EDT
I have been seeing a number of individuals using Wolf ammo in thier ARs lately.  I know that when Wolf used the lacquer there was a buildup problem thus I avoided the stuff in an AR although I wouldn't hesitate to use it in an AK.  What about now that Wolf is using polymer coating?  Is this stuff good to use for plinking?  Any damage done to an AR?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I run the new ply coated Wolf through my AR all the time.  Never had a problem with the stuff.  Buy some and try it....you'll like it.  It's great for plinking, but not really accurate.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't tried Wolf yet.  But I HAVE used Barnaul's .223 with great success.  These rounds are laquered, but not enough to gum things up, and they are about as clean as any other commercial load.

Note that Barnaul packages their products specially for some customers.  Academy Sports carries Barnaul products marked "Monarch."  Same box, different name (with the "everyday low price" printed on the box, too!).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
4th post....must have signed up immediately after finding site.
Where's the "Not this shit again" pic.
Is this the third or fourth time this has came up in as many days?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
4th post....must have signed up immediately after finding site.
Where's the "Not this shit again" pic.
Is this the third or fourth time this has came up in as many days?

Yeah. It's frustrating, isn't it?

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE, PEOPLE!

The ammunition review thread will let you read many, many pages of Wolf reviews, and you can make up your own mind.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#5]
In all fairness to CSP, his topic title was pretty content specific. If Wolf ammo topics irritate you, don't open it.

Chief
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Waste of bandwidth is all. What's the gun Al Pacino used in HEAT?

Wolf ammo has two seperate entries in the Ammo review - one for the old lacquer type, and one with 15 pages for the new polymer stuff.

Oh yeah - what's the gun Al Pacino used in HEAT?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It was an FN FNC.  

I feel the original poster's pain.  In the past, I've looked in this forum to find the Wolf Review thread, and couldn't (despite better than 1/2 an hour of looking).  Don't be too hard on the n00b.

ETA:  If I couldn't figure out where the hotlink for the Polymer Wolf review thread was, you might be expecting a bit too mutch from someone with 4 posts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Polymer stuff =good

Lacquer =bad

As for accuracy Ive found it to be onpar with some ammo costing almost twice as much. Ive managed under 1.25" groups at 100yds with Wolf. Not match quality, but fine for 100-200yd varmint shots, and the usual target shooting at the range.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of Wolf.  Has anyone fired their HP rounds?  Do you like/dislike them?  I have a range close by my house that only allows HP .223, and i'm looking for someone to review Wolf HP.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I love all Wolf.  I even loved the lacquer stuff, although I didn't have an AR at the time so I shot it in my Mini-14.  Ate it right up.  And at first the smell gets to ya, but you learn to like it.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for your responses and the tips.  To HELOBRAVO and Zhukov I must apologize.  I don't know what I was thinking when I thought AR15.Com was a forum for discussion.  It is unfortunate that when a person posts a question looking for the thoughts of others that person is attacked.  An armed society is a polite society?  Not from what HELOBRAVO and  Zhukov wrote.

It is common knowledge that people/groups that have anti-gun leanings read these sites.  Unfortunate that they will see the attacks within our own group.  At least Zhukov was honest when he lists "Does not play well with others."

This will likely be my last post on AR15.Com due to this.

Thank you,

CSP

Me - US Army 92-98
Father - US Army  - Vietnam
Grandfather - US Army POW (German) WWII
Stepfather - US Marines
Brother - US Air Force
Brother - US Coast Guard
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
CSP:

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. All I wanted to do is point out that *usually* when I go to a new site, I check the stickies and FAQs before asking questions; it's just common to do that. Like I said - no offense was meant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#13]
CSP-Don't Go!I'm a noob(Long time lurker) and I know some posters have issues.(IMBROGLIO comes to mind) Take the advice and comments that help and/or amuse,let everything else go.Life is too short.Oh yeah,I love the new Wolf.Kinda dirty,but flawless in my AR.-YMMV
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If those posts disturbed you enough to leave this forum, you probably should shut down your modem now and avoid all firearms forums in the future.

If you owned a forum with 50,000 people posting and 20,000 of them had the same question at one time or another, wouldn't you post the answer to that question at the top of the forum and expect people to read it before asking?

Lighten up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
CSP-Don't Go!I'm a noob(Long time lurker) and I know some posters have issues.(IMBROGLIO comes to mind) Take the advice and comments that help and/or amuse,let everything else go.Life is too short.Oh yeah,I love the new Wolf.Kinda dirty,but flawless in my AR.-YMMV

ARE YOU SAYING I HAVE ISSUES???  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#16]
You throw a rock at a pack of dogs-the one that yell is the one you hit!(Quote from my Granddad) h.gif
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#17]
It seems to me quite frankly, if a person read all the stickys and took full advantage of the search and archive features on this, or any other site, all topics would be a thing of the past. Its an AR not the space shuttle. Only so many parts and so much ammo to ask questions about.

Chief
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Dont let 'em chase you off. Your gonna need a thick skin to survive here at times.

You probably weren't aware of the tacked subject they are at the top of the Ammunition page, dont worry we all have slipped up and been beaten on by some members for far less mistakes.

I use Wolf in my Bushy and my Armalite and it works fine for plinking, punching paper etc: It isnt as accurate as some ammo but its not really enough to notice unless your bench shooting.

I used to HATE wolf but was converted by my own experiences and the Wolf Ammo Anti-Defamation League (WAADL) Im sure someon e will be in shortly to bash wolf but I like it
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#19]
My RRA Elite CAR A4 eats them up and spits them out!  If you have a decent gun you will not have any problems with Wolf Ammo.  I can shoot it in all my firearms without any problems what so ever.  Some here have guns that that can't handel it.  Not sure why, but I don't have any problems.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Wolf? Never heard of it. Is it new?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
WOLF..........Just do it!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#23]
No problems here, except one misfired round out of 1000.  I just threw it away.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#24]
i never had any problems with the stuff

new, old, ar or ak
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I just shot 200 rounds of the poly coat .223 62grn through my J&T Upper with Shaw 1:9 16inch. I had 0 problems from start to finish. I shot the last 50 rounds through as fast as I could and left one in the chamber for 5 min. It ejected fine. As far as accuracy goes, Well I didnt shoot at paper, but every round hit a 6inch steel target at 300 yards with the wind blowing about 5mph.

The only negative is this stuff is really really dirty. It didnt gunk up my chamber like the old coat did, but the upper was more messy than usual.

I am going to get more of this stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thank you for your responses and the tips.  To HELOBRAVO and Zhukov I must apologize.  I don't know what I was thinking when I thought AR15.Com was a forum for discussion.  It is unfortunate that when a person posts a question looking for the thoughts of others that person is attacked.  An armed society is a polite society?  Not from what HELOBRAVO and  Zhukov wrote.

It is common knowledge that people/groups that have anti-gun leanings read these sites.  Unfortunate that they will see the attacks within our own group.  At least Zhukov was honest when he lists "Does not play well with others."

This will likely be my last post on AR15.Com due to this.

Thank you,

CSP

<snip>

I guess he got chased off! *shrug*
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Wolf is cheap.  If it wasn't, who would want to deal with a stinky, dirty, underpowered and relatively inaccurate round.

Wolf is good ammo for people who get a thrill out of the "bang" part of the shooting sport.

I use it in limited functions.  Winter shooting is one, where I don't have to worry about recovering most of the casings.  Custom build testing is another.  If it will shoot Wolf, I know I got the bottom end of the gas system performance covered.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top