BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2005 6:15:22 PM EDT
I know there have been posts about this here before but "the look" I always get from the clerk behind the counter in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart is priceless.  About two weeks ago I head down to the local Wal-Mart to buy them out of the .223 WWB for $7.73 once again.  The same lady I've seen there many times before is working the counter again.  I ask her for some .223 ammunition, the cheap Winchester stuff in the small white box, she opens the case grabs one box and proceeds to close the case.  I told her that I would like more and she asks "How many?".  I tell her that I want every box they have and she turns towards me and gives me that "What the hell are you doing with that much ammo?" look and says, "Really?".  So she gets on her knees and digs for every box of the stuff they got, only about 6 boxes this time.  So two days ago I'm back at the Wal-Mart sporting goods counter looking for more ammo.  The same lady's working and we go through the same routine once again.  What is with them thinking you only need one box of ammo?  Hell my clip holds 3/4 of that box.  This time I hit the jackpot and get 10 boxes, all the while this old fart is behind me telling me that a .223 is a great deer and also a great GOOSE gun.  Then he cracks a joke about how if he hears a bunch of shooting tonight at the edge of town, he knows who it will be.  I'm venturing to say that the next encounter with the Wal-Mart ammo lady will be exactly the same.  The look on their face when you buy more than one box at a time will never get old.  hug.gif  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know there have been posts about this here before but "the look" I always get from the clerk behind the counter in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart is priceless.  About two weeks ago I head down to the local Wal-Mart to buy them out of the .223 WWB for $7.73 once again.  The same lady I've seen there many times before is working the counter again.  I ask her for some .223 ammunition, the cheap Winchester stuff in the small white box, she opens the case grabs one box and proceeds to close the case.  I told her that I would like more and she asks "How many?".  I tell her that I want every box they have and she turns towards me and gives me that "What the hell are you doing with that much ammo?" look and says, "Really?".  So she gets on her knees and digs for every box of the stuff they got, only about 6 boxes this time.  So two days ago I'm back at the Wal-Mart sporting goods counter looking for more ammo.  The same lady's working and we go through the same routine once again.  What is with them thinking you only need one box of ammo?  Hell my magazine holds 3/4 of that box.  This time I hit the jackpot and get 10 boxes, all the while this old fart is behind me telling me that a .223 is a great deer and also a great GOOSE gun.  Then he cracks a joke about how if he hears a bunch of shooting tonight at the edge of town, he knows who it will be.  I'm venturing to say that the next encounter with the Wal-Mart ammo lady will be exactly the same.  The look on their face when you buy more than one box at a time will never get old.    

I don't get those looks at Wal-Mart, I buy large quantities only online and at gunshows.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Wooops.  Did I say the C word?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the exact same thing the other day with 1 ounce slugs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't get those looks at Wal-Mart, I buy large quantities only online and at gunshows.

+1 Online here for bulk also. Never seem to find any good deals at the shows anymore around here though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You should ask if they have any in the back, that way you're not coming back every 2 days.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I suppose I am lucky the guy that runs sporting goods inmy local Wally World is an avid shooter and keeps loads of Winchester .223 in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You sure did and I commend you for doing so. I'm going to stop using "magazines" and switch over to "clips" just because of all the anal retentive types that feel the need to correct another adult.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure did and I commend you for doing so. I'm going to stop using "magazines" and switch over to "clips" just because of all the anal retentive dips that feel the need to correct another adults' speech when they already know exactly what he means.

Actually this is a place for the disbursement of information. Accuracy is a good thing, it limits mistakes and teaches those who dont know.

Clips........

Magazines........

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure did and I commend you for doing so. I'm going to stop using "magazines" and switch over to "clips" just because of all the anal retentive types that feel the need to correct another adult.

Hey, hey, I was just teasin'
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Walmart here, guy told me some of the local shops buy the 9mm Value packs and then resell them.  Probably bullshit, but he didn't think my 6 boxes where anything special.  He said he's sold a shopping cart full of them.  Again, probably bullshit.  Well, maybe.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The guy at mine told me that he is going to make me my own key for the case.  That was when they were selling all of there 40 S&W and 357Mag Winchester silvertips for $10.00 a box of 50 and I bought them out of that and 223.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You did, Aggie.  You did.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:04:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Now if you said your (stripper) clip holds 1/2 box of ammo it would of been ok. Magazines can be loadded via clips.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Man the guy at my Wal-Mart saw my Sunday morning and immediately started unlocking the ammo case!

However I threw a curveball at him when I asked for some WWB in .45 in addition to my usual 9mm.  Another employee there was even nice enough to find me a box to carry it in.

Nice folks at my Wal-Mart
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Man the guy at my Wal-Mart saw my Sunday morning and immediately started unlocking the ammo case!

However I threw a curveball at him when I asked for some WWB in .45 in addition to my usual 9mm.  Another employee there was even nice enough to find me a box to carry it in.

Nice folks at my Wal-Mart

Hell my counter guy sees me walking up the isle with 40lb bag of dog food on my shoulders; he already has 2 value packs of 9mm and .45 already rung up, just waiting on the dog food to check me out
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#16]
at least you guys can buy ammo at walmart.  All the Walmarts in Philly do not sell ammo nor do the ones in South Jersey.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#17]
My Wal-Mart has three people who work the counter and actually know what they are doing.
One lady even directed me to the end aisle where some slugs were on sale/clearance.

Two of them know me on a first name basis.

I have no problems w/ my Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never had a problem with any one of them either.  But the person usually working the counter in sporting goods is not what I'd call an avid outdoorsman, or knowledgable about anything outdoors.  That's why the checkout computer beeps everytime they run a box of ammo across the scanner, making sure the clerk checks for age requirements to buy ammo.  
Where is the best place to buy clips for my AR?  Did I say clips again?  Clips. Omar
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I buy WWB from Wal-Mart just so I can see the counter chick bend over.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#20]
You don't want to see the ammo lady at my Wal-Mart bend over.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Everything is bigger in Texas..
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I am missing out.

No matter how hard I try to get "The Look" at my local Wally World... I just can't do it!

I mean, I've gone so far as to go in and buy 2k 9mm in one go. The guy just shrugs and starts counting boxes...

I think, somehow, I have competition.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I know i always enjoy going into walmart to get ammo. Depending on who it is , the reactions differ. Some are' you know the drill ' , to ' wow, it all? '
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm venturing to say that the next encounter with the Wal-Mart ammo lady will be exactly the same.

How "old" is the lady?  Maybe she's got one of those disorders and actually doesn't remember you from visit to visit?  

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#25]
She's not old and doesn't have a disorder.  Just the "why do you want so much ammo look" disorder.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
She's not old and doesn't have a disorder.  Just the "why do you want so much ammo look" disorder.

Hmmm, invite her out shooting!  Tell her you often invite people shooting to help them understand the joys of marksmanship and recreational firearms use, and that uses us alot of ammo.

Might get some after she gets all juiced up at the range....

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know how to put this nicely.  I don't want any from her.  I might get lost if you know what I mean.  Besides, I got a thoroughbred waiting at home for me every night.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't know how to put this nicely.  I don't want any from her.  I might get lost if you know what I mean.  Besides, I got a thoroughbred waiting at home for me every night.

Gotcha!!!  MOOving right along.....  I think I';; go to Wally World on Monday and get some ammo.  The one near me has had decent people there each time so far.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#29]
As long as they keep letting me buy that much ammo and don't sic the cops on me, I won't have a problem.  Although its really not that much ammo.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]
You are lucky the employes at my Walmart specialize in customer avoidance.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Aggie how many times has it been said on ARFCOM - most people are sheeple?

Take this to mean that your Walmat lady has received massive amounts of human conditioning mainly by hunters coming in to by some hunting ammo -READ 1 box and that's it.

Most hunters ( I didn not say all) are not gun enthusiast like fellow ARFCOM members. - Look at the number of ARFCOMMERS that forego the range just prior to deer season to avoid the hunters not versed SAFE firearms handling - oh and shooting practice ammo to sightin and use the real stuff for later.

I'm not picking on hunters or the lady, just pointing out that you area statisical outlier in her mind because you get more than the one box she normally has to grab for the majority of her customers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I understand.  I just get a kick out of their reaction.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Walmart here, guy told me some of the local shops buy the 9mm Value packs and then resell them.  Probably bullshit, but he didn't think my 6 boxes where anything special.  He said he's sold a shopping cart full of them.  Again, probably bullshit.  Well, maybe.

I noticed you are from NV so I don't know how much of that is bullshit.  We bought a shopping cart of ammo from the Walmart (I think it was on Tropicana) last Labor Day for 10 of us going to Front Sight.  They always preorder 10-12,000 rounds when we go out there.  Tried to use a local Gun store and they refered us to Walmart for that amount.   The manager told us they do this a lot for Front Sight students.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Man!  If i had seen you buying WWB for $7.73/20 i'd have given you a look too!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
at least you guys can buy ammo at walmart.  All the Walmarts in Philly do not sell ammo nor do the ones in South Jersey.

Go the the one in Bristol or the two in Lancaster
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Aggie how many times has it been said on ARFCOM - most people are sheeple?

Take this to mean that your Walmat lady has received massive amounts of human conditioning mainly by hunters coming in to by some hunting ammo -READ 1 box and that's it.

Most hunters ( I didn not say all) are not gun enthusiast like fellow ARFCOM members. - Look at the number of ARFCOMMERS that forego the range just prior to deer season to avoid the hunters not versed SAFE firearms handling - oh and shooting practice ammo to sightin and use the real stuff for later.

I'm not picking on hunters or the lady, just pointing out that you area statisical outlier in her mind because you get more than the one box she normally has to grab for the majority of her customers.

Right on target.  Most obvious "hunter types" around me spend more time selecting the beer to take with them than the ammunition for the hunt, and it's unlikely they actually bother to sight in or practice with their rifle before heading out to the deer lease.  I don't think they're really interested in hunting as much as getting away from the wife for a while (which I don't get either-my wife would be out on the range with me most of the time if her job let her).  

I could rant here about how little "hunting" is involved in what these guys do...but that's beside the point.  Wal-Mart people are conditioned for small purchases, and when you're out of the ordinary, you stand out.  That's all.  No judgement calls, no "what are you up to" thoughts, just "that's different."
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I've never had more than a casual comment when I buy them out of their ammo.   Once in a while there are knowledgeable people there who shoot and understand that 10 boxes is an hour of plinking.   I hate it when they ask for ID.  I have serious gray in my hair, a double chin, weather beaten skin, and I wear unfashionable, but comfy, clothes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Wish mine had the .55 grainers..

Still only the overpriced .45 varms...

Still waiting to have them filter up to MI...
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I used the no its for a machine gun line last time i bought em out of 9mm
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Now if you said your (stripper) clip holds 1/2 box of ammo it would of been ok. Magazines can be loadded via clips.

If you WOULD HAVE said "WOULD HAVE" you WOULD HAVE been OK too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I get this great reaction from Robert at my local WalMart. He knows that I am a psychotherapist and gets the biggest kick out me coming in to buy ammo, no matter what the quantity. "Oh lord, here comes that shrink that shoots people!" he will say, loud and clear, to whoever is in the area. "Gotta keep 'em in line somehow, Robert" is my usual reply.

Here's how he found out my profession. One time he asked me, "what do you do with all this ammo?" I says, with my dead-serious poker face on, "I use it at work." "Oh, what kind of work do you do?" "Psychotherapy."

Now, that look was priceless.

So that's why I get the ribbing every time I see him. But I don't mind -- good advertising, the way I figure it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn, last time I took my XD40 to the range I stopped by walmart and bought 200 rounds.  Guy paused, looked at me and said "Really.  That much?"  "musta been a bad day at work"  "hehehe"  I just go along with it, but I couldn't imagine their reaction to buying them out of 223.  Guess I'll find out as soon as I can pick up my lower.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Yall are LUCKY, at least you can go to your local WAL Mart and buy them out if they have any. I live 10 mins from a Wal Mart in Zachary, Louisiana (A little town on the outside of  Baton Rouge) and they have pulled all the AMMO and GUNS from the shelves. Also all the WAL Marts in Baton Rouge and surrounding areas have done the same thing since the Hurricanes. I don't know how long this is going to be going on.
I was able to travel to Gonzalas, Louisiana (about 45 min drive) and purchase WWB, bought the last 10 boxes they had.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Yall are LUCKY, at least you can go to your local WAL Mart and buy them out if they have any. I live 10 mins from a Wal Mart in Zachary, Louisiana (A little town on the outside of  Baton Rouge) and they have pulled all the AMMO and GUNS from the shelves. Also all the WAL Marts in Baton Rouge and surrounding areas have done the same thing since the Hurricanes. I don't know how long this is going to be going on.
I was able to travel to Gonzalas, Louisiana (about 45 min drive) and purchase WWB, bought the last 10 boxes they had.

Hey " neighbor " .   The WalMarts in Central and Walker are selling ammo again .  No guns at the Central store though .  I'm pissed .
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#45]
i worked at wal-mart in sporting goods for a while..
most people asked for only 1 or 2 boxed of ammo and i allways asked just one???
every time i acted supprized that people dont shoot like me, by the case.
once i got a guy with a practiced out explanation why he needed so much ammo.. like he sat there and rehearsed it but i never acted supprized i just smiled and offered to check the gun room for more.
one thing i learned was that some people are dicks and others are real nice others will do anything to get under your skin. but than again i live in a real redneck area, and not a whole lot to do other than torment the guy working sporting goods
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#46]
that's not a clip either it's an enbloc
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#47]
The lady at my local Wal*Mart is really cool.  The first time I bought ammo from her, she checked my ID to make sure I was over 21 because she didn't believe when I told her (last year) that I was 39.  Heh.  Since then, I ask for what I want, she gets it and we complete the transaction.  We even visit while she's putting it all in bags for me (I usually get 1000 rds of 9mm each time).

The "problem children" I've encountered have all been older men, the kind who know everything about shooting and can't conceive of any "need" for so much ammunition.  One old fart (who later got fired) made me show multiple pieces of ID and still wouldn't let me buy my ammo because he didn't think my signature looked like what was on the back of my credit card or on my driver's license.

Every time I've gotten the "why do you need so much?" routine it has been from old men.  Every time I've had a lecture about what I don't need has been from old men.  It must be a burden to go through life knowing everything!

Conversely, transactions with women have all been very professional.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks djohns6 ,
for the input, Central is a lot closer to pick up some.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Wish mine had the .55 grainers..

Still only the overpriced .45 varms...

Still waiting to have them filter up to MI...

Dude, where you at?  We got them in the Detroit area stores.

And If I remember from the Ammo Day buy, several others here in Michigan bought them as well.

No Expert
(Redford, MI)
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I know there have been posts about this here before but "the look" I always get from the clerk behind the counter in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart is priceless.  

The ammo lady and I at my Wal*Mart are on a first name basis now.  She sees me coming and just starts opening the locked cabinet!

She like's to talk about how she loved to shoot with her dad and grandpa back on the farm.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top