Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 5:15:37 PM EDT
Greetings,
I need to test my rifle before the weekend to see which bullet weight it likes best, but am having a difficult time getting any Black Hills 55 gr. FMJ ammo to test.
As I was planning on testing BH 55 gr. FMJ, BH 69 gr. Sierra MatchKing and BH 79 gr. Sierra MatchKing, do you think that using XM193 would give me similar results as the BH 55 gr. FMJ.
I know I should test each load in my rifle, but time doesn't permit this.
To reiterate:
Will the results be similar enough to justify ordering BH 55 gr. FMJ if the XM193 tests the same or better (short range) than the the Sierra MatchKing stuff? Or, put another way, Does your rifle typically shoot BH 55 gr. FMJ and XM 193 similarly?

Thanks for your assistance

Oznog
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What is short range?  

All the loads you listed will have a similar POI at 50yds and will probably be less than 3" at 100yds.  Differences in loads show up more at longer ranges.

I don't recommend the 69 or 77SMK loads for short range blasting.  Too spendy.

BHBB 55 FMJ shoots well out of my gun.  I don't shoot XM193.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I get about 60fps more out of Xm193 when shooting over my chrono than Black Hillss Blue Box 55fmj.  At ranges under 150 yards, the POI change is negligable between BH BB 55Fmj and XM193.  However, I get much better accuracy out of the BH stuff.  If I am doing my part, I can get groups in the .5 range with the BH--XM 193 is more like 1.5MOA ammo for me and my rifles.  I use these two loads interchangably when precise accuracy isn't needed.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I get about 60fps more out of Xm193 when shooting over my chrono than Black Hillss Blue Box 55fmj.  At ranges under 150 yards, the POI change is negligable between BH BB 55Fmj and XM193.  However, I get much better accuracy out of the BH stuff.  If I am doing my part, I can get groups in the .5 range with the BH--XM 193 is more like 1.5MOA ammo for me and my rifles.  I use these two loads interchangably when precise accuracy isn't needed.  YMMV

What is the average velocity you have measured with Black Hills blue box and from what barrel length? I always wondered if was loaded just a bit hotter than most commercial spec ammo. Being you said it is only 60 fps slower than XM193, it must be loaded pretty hot.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top