Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 7:42:50 AM EDT
More gun show rumors on ammo related shortages.

Ammo cans:  According to one dealer, he's having a hard time getting even the crappy beatup ones now and the manufacturer/supplier called him up trying to buy back the ones that he had gotten via surplus and warehoused over past years.  Another change is that empty cans use to be tossed after the ammo inside was used as it was too expensive to ship the cans back.  Now they are being shipped back because of the shortage.  As a benchmark, he use to have top condition .50 cal cans for ~$3 for the last two years.  Mid-show, prices went up to $5.

Lead & Powder: US manufactured ammo is seeing a slow increase across the board due to the increased prices for lead and powder.  Military ammo production has increased demand on these materials.  This is suppose to be most evident with shotshell prices.

Can anyone verify or debunk?

-Frank
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Not true about ammo cans. Go to www.govliquidation.com/. There are plenty of cans available. I have been visiting this site for years and the supply seems to about the same if not more than before. At shows here in PA cans in very good condition have been going for $5.00 and up to $10.00 at local gun shops.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#2]
JG Sales has .50 cal cans for $1 apiece. You have to buy a pallet to get that rate of course but they have plenty apparently.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Can civilians or anyone place bids on that site? Some of the computer stuff could be re-sellable, I mean I noticed in a couple searches they were selling like 10 Macintosh G3 computers for a hundred bucks, and some other P3 systems and tons of LCD monitors and stuff.

You could sell that stuff on eBay individually and make some money, start a business.

Oh yeah, and I did a search on ammo cans, apparently you have to buy a thousand of them or something hah... they come by the pallet

- rem

Quoted:
Not true about ammo cans. Go to www.govliquidation.com/. There are plenty of cans available. I have been visiting this site for years and the supply seems to about the same if not more than before. At shows here in PA cans in very good condition have been going for $5.00 and up to $10.00 at local gun shops.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Lead & Powder: US manufactured ammo is seeing a slow increase across the board due to the increased prices for lead and powder.  Military ammo production has increased demand on these materials.  This is suppose to be most evident with shotshell prices.

-Frank

Federal has stated that the company's cost for lead and brass are up 50% over the last 4 quarters.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Any one can bid, after you register. For the most part they don't care what you do with them. Some restricted items can't be resold to someone in another country. At the local (PA) depot I have bought pallets with as few as 144 cans and I have seen lots with a few number.  If you bid on any be aware that you are responsible for removing them from their site. I live close enough to the depot that I just pick them up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The ammo can thing is pure urban legend, the lead and powder is supply and demand. China and India are in the process of trying to become global industrial nations. China in particular is buying up as much raw material as thry can get their hands on.

Quoted:

Ammo cans:  According to one dealer, he's having a hard time getting even the crappy beatup ones now and the manufacturer/supplier called him up trying to buy back the ones that he had gotten via surplus and warehoused over past years.  Another change is that empty cans use to be tossed after the ammo inside was used as it was too expensive to ship the cans back.  Now they are being shipped back because of the shortage.  As a benchmark, he use to have top condition .50 cal cans for ~$3 for the last two years.  Mid-show, prices went up to $5.

-Frank

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top