Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 10:42:45 AM EDT
hey all

iam thinking of getting into reloading but have no clue where to start????

about how much of a monatary investement?

would it be ok to do it in basement?

and any other info i might need

i would start with 223 them move to 9mm and possibly 7.62 x 39

also can i myself seal primers and bullets?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#1]
To start, you should get the book called "The ABCs of Reloading" and READ it. It'll provide you with a lot of useful information on safety, equipment, etc. After reading that book, it's time to go shopping for a press. You'll get a lot of varying info on what to buy, but for a new reloader, you might want to consider going with a single stage press (RCBS probbly makes the best one on the market today). It'll be easier to operate, and cheaper to get into. A progressive press will load ammo faster, but they cost more and are more complicated to operate when you are just getting started with loading.

Does nayone you know have a loading press? Another way to approach it is to get with someone in your area that can show you the ropes and even let you try loading some ammo on their press so you can find out if you like reloading.

Yes, you can load in your basement. The only thing to watch out for there is humidity to make sure your equipment doesn't rust. Location isn't as important as having a sturdy workbench.

Some people do seal their ammo, but I'm not sure it's really worth the hassle. Of course, I live in the desert, so moisture isn't an issue to me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
about how much of a monatary investement?  This is a loaded question (no pun intended).  You can go high or stay low, depending on your desire.  For match grade ammo, you will want high grade components and equipment.  If you simply want to learn how and maybe load some cheap plinking ammo, it can be cheap.  On the low end, you can use Lee equipment purchased from MidwayUSA.com and stay around $100 for the equipment for 1 caliber.  I would suggest using their deluxe rifle dies to full length re-size your brass if you are reloading for an autoloader.  Others may hack on Lee equipment, but it serves me well.  I load 45-70 and 45 ACP.  I even cast my own bullets for them.  I reload my 45-70 with a Saeco 480 grain bullet for about 9-10 cents per round.  I will start loading 223 and 308 here shortly.  You can get very inexpensive components (brass & bullets) from ebay.  Buy your powder and primers locally.  Here is a link to a kit from Midway Lee Kit  You just need to add dies and the case trimmer to complete the equipment.  Get your components and you are reloading.

would it be ok to do it in basement?  With proper precautions and care, yes.

and any other info i might need  In a word, read.  Get good books, read much.  The kit above even includes a book.  If you know someone that reloads, go watch and learn.

also can i myself seal primers and bullets?
 I am not sure, but I would imagine yes.  I am simply not that ambitious to try.  If I want sealed SHTF ammo, I'll buy grade 1 surplus.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
good info guys thanks  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top