Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2005 10:22:42 PM EDT
I have two ARs. One is a 20" Standard RRA A4 and it shoots Wolf perfectly. My other ar is a 16" carbine and it short strokes often. My carbine works perfectly with xm193. I would like to shoot something cheaper for just plinking at steel targets. Any ideas on what I might be able to do to my carbine to have it cycle this stuff?

I am not looking for a wolf bashing thread.  I can get Wolf for less than half the cost of xm193 and that equals more practice for me.

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a lighter buffer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Try a lighter buffer.

.....and if you've installed a Wolf buffer spring, remove it and re-install the standard CAR spring.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try a lighter buffer.

.....and if you've installed a Wolf buffer spring, remove it and re-install the standard CAR spring.

+1 on the spring

I run a standard spring and a h-buffer. no issues to report
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Aside from the buffers, also check for gas leaks on the front sight.  Since the M16/AR rifles have direct gas impingement principle to retract the bolt, the M193 rounds might not affect a rifle with gas leaks.  But with lower gas pressures on the Wolf Ammo, this could have a significant effect on the cycling of the bolt.  Another thing you might want to check are the gas rings.  They could also be worn out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm new to ARs also so I don't know if what I was told is true or not.  I was told that, especially with wolf, the 62gr round will perform better than the 55gr on new rifles and rifles that fail to cylce properly because of added back pressure due to the heavier round.  So far, I've been through 400 Silver bear and 200 Wolf rounds (all 62gr) and haven't had a single fail to anything.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm new to ARs also so I don't know if what I was told is true or not.  I was told that, especially with wolf, the 62gr round will perform better than the 55gr on new rifles and rifles that fail to cylce properly because of added back pressure due to the heavier round.  So far, I've been through 400 Silver bear and 200 Wolf rounds (all 62gr) and haven't had a single fail to anything.

One things for certain, you're definitely starting out your AR experience by running the ol' AR through the ammo test (Wolf and Silver Bear).  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the idea.  I've been through 6 different kinds of ammo and I'm gonna keep going... funny thing is NOTHING has FTF/FTE from this thing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's the idea.  I've been through 6 different kinds of ammo and I'm gonna keep going... funny thing is NOTHING has FTF/FTE from this thing.

Good for you.  Now don't go fucking up a good thing and start tinkering with it.  WARNING:  ARFCOM instigates tinkering.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top