Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2005 7:11:19 AM EDT
All,
I've shot quite a bit of the 77gr BH blue box out of my SPR clone.  Great accuracy and reliable function to data.  I'm starting to run low and I'm in the process of buying some more ammo.  My question is:

The 75gr BH Blue is quite a bit cheaper, esp. if purchased in bulk, than the 77gr BH Blue Box.  Any major differences between the two from your experiences, to justify the price difference.?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You won't notice a difference, but your pocketbook will if you're just using it for blasting.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You won't notice a difference, but your pocketbook will if you're just using it for blasting.

Tack

Not blasting with this shit.  Couldn't afford to.  Just longer range target shoot, in a non-competitive format.  

It's all about the pocket book.  That why I posted this question in the first place.  The price difference is quite substantial and that's why I figured on asking what the friggin' difference is between these two rounds.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found the 77 grain black hills(especially the moly coated version) to be slightly more accurate out of my Bushy, although both are under 1" at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have found the 77 grain black hills(especially the moly coated version) to be slightly more accurate out of my Bushy, although both are under 1" at 100 yards.

Good to hear.  75gr it is given no ARFCOM opinions to the contrary.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Your individual barrel will have more to do with it IMO than the loads themselves.  I had an M4 that prefered the 75 grain to the 77 grain.  I shot a Crane SPR that did much better with 77 grain than 75 grain.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your individual barrel will have more to do with it IMO than the loads themselves.  I had an M4 that prefered the 75 grain to the 77 grain.  I shot a Crane SPR that did much better with 77 grain than 75 grain.

DevL,
I'm shooting this out of my SPR clone, 1/7 twist 18 inch Compass Lake barrel.  Thus far, I have shot the 77gr with great success out of it.  Given that it's purely my satisfaction at stake, and not a competitive shooting thing (besides against a buddy at the range), I'm hoping to cut some costs in the ammo department without sacrificing too much in terms of accuracy.  I'll give this 75gr a shot and see what happens.  Gotta save the $$ anywhere possible for another LW upper
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]
KnobCreek,
What kind of deal have you been able to find on 75gr ammo? From what I've seen, prices are pretty close for 75gr. and 77gr. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
KnobCreek,
What kind of deal have you been able to find on 75gr ammo? From what I've seen, prices are pretty close for 75gr. and 77gr. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

An example from Fulton Armory...Midway USA has a similar pricing structure.
.223 Remington, 75- and 77-gr  Blue Box
Case Lots Ship Free!

75-gr "Heavy" Match HP
Box of 50 18.50    
Case of 1000  359.95  

77-gr Sierra MatchKing®
Box of 50 23.95    
Case of 1000 474.95  

Essentially, it's about $5/box more.  May not be a big deal if you're only buyinig 2 or 3 boxes, but it does add up quickly with large purchases.  The Sierra Match King bullets tend to demand a premium price.

edit to add:  I don't know how much of a "DEAL" it is, but it is cheaper than the 77gr alternative.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The 75s are also generally considered a better bet against human targets, if you ever needed them for that, becuase of their shorter neck before fragmentation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The 75s are also generally considered a better bet against human targets, if you ever needed them for that, becuase of their shorter neck before fragmentation.

Good to know...thanks.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top