Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2005 4:56:18 PM EDT
I stopped by the  store where I buy my ammo from to get some more 75gr red box TAP and as I was looking around I saw they had 50rd boxes of remanufactured  Hornady 62gr barrier ammo.  I asked the guy if it's similar to the 62gr TAP barrier and he said that it is the same except for the once fired brass part.  I really have no use for the barrier ammo except for range work but for the price he is selling it for and if it is the same as TAP then $10.50 seemed like one hell of a deal especially for 50rds

Any of you guys know if this is the same as 62gr TAP barrier?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Reloaded by Hornady...or reloaded by an unknown company using Hornady bullets?  Hornady doen't show they manufacture reloaded ammo on their website.

hornady.com/
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Reloaded by Hornady...or reloaded by an unknown company using Hornady bullets?  Hornady doen't show they manufacture reloaded ammo on their website.

hornady.com/

I think it's reloaded by Hornady, it has a hornady label on the box.  One thing I forgot is it doesn't use Hornady brass, it's loaded in Lake City brass

ETA:  I just remembered the store owner said he orders it from Hornady
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Just kicked them out an e-mail, see what they have to say. Sure got my interest.

Chief
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I would really like to find out if this remanufactred 62gr barrier  is loaded the same as the TAP 62gr barrier but I do not have a chrono.  If I send a few rounds to one of you guys with a chrono can you test it for me?

Thanks Bill

I just found out that Tap Barrier doesn't come in 62gr it only comes in 60gr
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Troy - I think that was actually 3-D that Hornady bought out. They were just a couple of miles down the road from Grand island. Carl
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Troy - I think that was actually 3-D that Hornady bought out. They were just a couple of miles down the road from Grand island. Carl

The box deos say 3-D on it, I didn't know there was an ammo company named 3-D
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I just googled Hornady remanufactured 3-D brand and found a site that sells it for $32 for 50rds, I paid $10.50 for 50 rds.

Sorry for the post I'm just excited that for once I got a great dea

wrong again I found a couple of other sites selling it for $13 so the guy selling for $32 is just a major scam artistl
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Seth is correct; it was 3D Ammo that Hornady bought.

-Troy

I took a pic of the box  

eta: sorry for the bad pic, I'm horrible at it
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

I took a pic of the box  

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/WMHM4/Picture006.jpg

Wonder how that would do on hogs.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

I took a pic of the box  

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/WMHM4/Picture006.jpg

Wonder how that would do on hogs.....

I'm just assuming that this ammo is loaded similar to TAP Barrier and from the TAP LE catalog it says that in 10% geletin it penetrates 16", its fragmentation is 13%,  1" entry, retained weight is 52.0 gr

Barrier ammo was made to be used in Nuclear power plants.  It was made to be able to shoot through steel doors and still have terminal performance on the other side.  It also shoots well through glass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Received interesting e-mail back from Hornady. Said they manufactured reloaded ammo in the past, but no longer do. They went on to say they will be manufacturing ammo # 9750 which will be in a "steel' case. Availability end of October. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
3D has been around a long time, I don't have any current info about them, but they used to be a pretty good company.  When I was shooting PPC, a fair number of the officers who didn't reload were using 3D reloaded 38 special wadcutters in the matches.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top