Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 2:45:39 PM EDT
Since i have an Armalite 16" with 1.9 twist i am curious about the best round for SD/SHTF

If we put aside the XM193, what is the top-5 commercial ammo that we are sure will work/stabilize in my AR? Brand, Gr and model please. I read a lot and found that some ammo may not work properly in my AR.

This is maybe a stupid question here but we do not have all kind of mil spec/TAP bullet everywhere here up north. More than that, a good box can cost 25$ for 20 rounds (Gold match 69gr).

Of course, at the bottom, this is a budget matter. I rather spend that money on practice than try finding the best brand if someone as already found it. 10 boxes of good ammo for test= 200$!!
Out of top-5 I should be able to find 1 or 2 here...

If there's brothers here that have suggestions/dealers that i may order from please let me know!

Your answers are mutch apreciate guys!! Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy your ammo online to save money.  Buy a few boxes till you know what your rifle likes then buy in bulk from then on.

77 grain Sierra SMK by Black Hills
75 grain Hornady OTM by Black Hills
69 grain Sierra SMK by Black Hills
68 grain Hornady  OTM by Black Hills
64 grain Winchester Power Point SP

55 grain Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw SP (#1 for tissue destruction after passing through barriers and windsheilds only, direct against soft tissue its last behind the 5 listed above due to limited expansion vs fragmentation)

These are all, easily purchased by civilian, .223 pressure rounds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I concur with DevL.

If you can't get the black hills stuff way up nort' eh, roll your own using the above listed bullets.  

I haven't tried the 77SMK out of my 16" armalite, but the H 75 OTM is stabilized quite well if you push it fast.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Buy your ammo online to save money.  Buy a few boxes till you know what your rifle likes then buy in bulk from then on.

77 grain Sierra SMK by Black Hills
75 grain Hornady OTM by Black Hills
69 grain Sierra SMK by Black Hills
68 grain Sierra Black OTM by Black Hills
64 grain Winchester Power Point SP

55 grain Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw SP (#1 for tissue destruction after passing through barriers and windsheilds only, direct against soft tissue its last behind the 5 listed above due to limited expansion vs fragmentation)

These are all, easily purchased by civilian, .223 pressure rounds.

armalite told me not to shoot anything above 69 in my armalite SOF  

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Some 1/9 barrels can shoot 77 or 75 grain ammo and some cant.  It wont hurt to try them and they are the best for terminal performance.  Just get one box of each and see if you get 1MOA groups.  If you get 2-3 MOA groups it probably is going to get real ugly at longer ranges.  Then you need to decide if that is acceptable for DEFENSIVE use which likely will occur under 100 yards.

Bushmaster told me not to put an M16 bolt carrier in my AR15.  Gun comapanies dont know what is best for you.  Try the heavy ammo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a similar thread a while back.

I have a stainless, 1/9, FF, Hbarrell, 16" T upper. It likes WWB 45 JHP but I can't get it to shoot better than 3/4" groups with a clean barrell from a bench.

I want to shoot a heavier bullet 60-75 grain.

BH red box 60 gr Vmaxs shot 1.5-3" groups.
Remington 55 gr PSPs 1.5" groups
WWB 45 grain HP .75"
BH 68 gr HMHP .8-1.5
WWB 55gr FMJ 3-5"

I am going to try some 75 and 77 grain stuff.  There is a place here called Alabama Ammo that will do custom loads and I am going to try working with them to find a load that my rifle likes.

Dtech also suggested that I let him look at my upper.  It might need a little smith work that should tighten up my groups.  I will probably send it later this week.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top