Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2005 12:10:54 AM EDT
How much ammo do the guys overseas carry?

Do they carry any loose ammo?  Is there any practicality to carrying loose ammo?

ETA:  In a SHTF situation, how much ammo should you have with you (on your person, in your B.O.B, ect . . .)
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#1]
TO&E is 210 rounds......

I doubt you will find a grunt carrying that little.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My SHTF load is 7 mags of 30 rounds each, one in rifle 6 in the vest.  If a vehicle is an option, there will be another 2520 rounds in .50 cal ammo cans in the vehicle.  If not, I'll probably stash a few bandoleers in the BOB, not sure how many yet as I haven't experimented with the weights, yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell...they only gave me 120 rounds...but then again, I'm just comm, and I never fired a shot...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else have any input?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
In a SHTF scenario, how much will you be able to physically carry? How much of a threat do you anticipate?

If zombie start coming for you, better dig into your stockpile of 200,000 XM193 like some people have here... If you want to get out of a region of civil unrest, you probably dont want to draw attention to yourself with tactical load bearing equipment, and will want to conceal your mags, etc. etc.

I feel having roughly 500 rounds in mags, and being able to choose depending on the situation would be best. If you need more then 500 rounds... then your SHTF scenario is pretty intense!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was over in the sandbox, they only gave us 120-rds. Not to say that I havn't seen some troops from another branch carrying as many as 19.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
For me, SHTF scenario = 28 Days Later zombies, but worldwide.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]
For minor disturbances around the house, 3 in a chest rig

For major incidents, 6 in same chest rig

For SHTF (where gun is gonna get a good workout) 6 in chest rig, 6 on leg, 1 in gun, extras in bag
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
for around the house, for me 1 30 rnd mag

For big time problems around here 2 30 rnd mags

for extra big problems around here, the rest of my stash at the ready....3 mags and 100 rnds of ammo
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]

My SHTF ammo supplies, in rough order of escalation:

1) 30-round mag of Hornady 75g TAP, always stays in the rifle (bolt closed, no round in chamber).  1 loaded mag in my pistol and 1 backup mag always nearby, but the pistol stays chambered (and holstered).

2) 4x 30-round mags TAP + 2 loaded pistol mags, in an ammo pouch thingy, stays with my shooting gear, always close at hand either at home or in the car (moves around a bit)
3) 4x 30-rnd of TAP + 1x 20-rnd of plain green tracers + 2 more loaded pistol mags, stays in my Light BOB backpack, which is always in my car (which is always wherever I am).  The Light BOB comes in from the car sometimes, but I never leave it home when I'm away, unless flying commercially.

4) 240 rounds IMI M855 on strippers in bandoleers + 100 rounds pistol ammo in boxes, in my Heavy BOB (which can only be transported realistically by vehicle, but has much more serious supplies - box of MRE, decent stove+fuel, gallons of clean water, water filtration system, large tent, axe, large blankets, fishing/hunting gear, heavy rope, survival medical supplies, several good survival books so I don't have to remember everything myself, etc, etc).  Stays at home unless it looks like I'm gonna need it.

5) 1k XM193, 1k Q3131A, 1k IMI M855, 500 pistol ammo, + however much TAP and target/range ammo I have leftover at any given moment (probably totalling roughly another 1k), in cans at home.  If bugging out by vehicle these would probably go with me anytime the Heavy BOB gear would, but it all depends on the situation.  Some situations might be known to be temporary, in which case maybe I don't need to lug all that ammo around.

After re-reading what I just wrote, I think I might be overdoing it a bit.  But then again, by arfcom standards, I'm sure I'm quite underprepared
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top