Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 6:23:06 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone here other than me has had any experience, good or bad, using this stuff.  Shot about 90 rounds of the 55gr, non-corrosive, boxed primer 5.56mm and had good results.  My local gun shop has an ammo crate (1440 rounds) selling for $210 otd.  The ammo was purchased from Century Arms and the date on the crate is 1986.  Just wanted to ask before I take the plunge.

By the way, I'm new to the board and to the AR world so consider yourself warned.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd jump on it.

id also want to know who your local shop is
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The Guatemalan 5.56 is without a doubt, the worst looking ammo I've seen or shot.  Each round has what can best be described as jungle rot tarnish on the case.  That being said, I've shot 2 cases (2880 rounds) of this ammo with zero problems.  Not one misfire, not one hard primer, split case head, etc...

It's good blasting ammo, but that's about it.

What shop is this?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I should be asking-which shop??

I am in Michigan!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Which shop huh,  I'll never tell!  Just kidding, it's a small shop where I live called Palladium Gun Shop.  The shop is no bigger than your average walk in closet, but boy does he pack a ton of stuff in there.  I don't know if he has more of the Guatemalan surplus ammo or not, you can call Larry yourself and ask.

http://www.palladiumgunshop.com/palladium.html

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there anything o this planet you would look to Guatemala to make for you to use in your life?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is there anything o this planet you would look to Guatemala to make for you to use in your life?

"I use to have an elementary school teacher who'd say show me a tropical fruit and I'll show you a c_cks_cker from Guatemala. Nah wait, that wasn't my teacher. It was an old army buddy." --George Carlin

Dunno why, but your post made me think of that and made me feel like sharing it here, though it isn't at all relevent to the topic in question. Hehe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Which shop huh,  I'll never tell!  Just kidding, it's a small shop where I live called Palladium Gun Shop.  The shop is no bigger than your average walk in closet, but boy does he pack a ton of stuff in there.  I don't know if he has more of the Guatemalan surplus ammo or not, you can call Larry yourself and ask.

http://www.palladiumgunshop.com/palladium.html

Thanks man..100 miles south of me..May try!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Guatemalan 5.56 is without a doubt, the worst looking ammo I've seen or shot.  Each round has what can best be described as jungle rot tarnish on the case.  That being said, I've shot 2 cases (2880 rounds) of this ammo with zero problems.  Not one misfire, not one hard primer, split case head, etc...

It's good blasting ammo, but that's about it.

Many have posted that before.  The oddest thing is that my two cases Guatemalan 5.56 looked great.  Were yours in the plastic battle packs?  All mine was hot and clean.  But I agree it's only blasting ammo because of its age.  Certainly not SHTF ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#10]
No, they were in 30 round boxes, which were very convenient.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot up over a case of that stuff -- it was in 30 round cardboard boxes, 12 boxes to the plastic battle pack. I didn't think it looked any worse than Lake City stuff. It wasn't made to look pretty. Never had any FTF or FTE, and it all went bang. Pretty accurate too. I still have three battle packs left and I like it well enough that I am hoarding those 3. Good ammo in an awfully convenient package. Winchester built the factory for the Guatemelans. I got mine from Dillon. Wish they had more. Shoulda bought 10 cases while they had it. Haven't seen it in years.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Guatamalan?Cool! I got 1440 rounds of that stuff from Centerfire systems ages ago. Man was that some scary looking ammo. No one else I know would shoot it. It worked fine, seemed like it was loaded pretty hot and had an AWESOME muzzleflash!

It used to have an awesome muzzleflash, and then I had ADCO put Phantoms on my post-bans.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Years ago when I got the ammo the gun store owner said that it was Israeli surplus.  I probably would have passed if I had known it was from Guatemala.  In hindsight I'm glad I got some.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes.

I've gone through thousands of rounds of Guatamalan IMG M193,
Both the Tarnished and untarnished cases of 1,440rounds, as well as the camo Color battle packs.

The tarnished was UGLY and corroded but EVERY Single round went bang.
The untarnished looked great and performed similarily.
All three varieties are loaded hot, and are quite reliable although the accuracy was just fair.
The muzzle flash is quite noticable both from the muzzle and from the occasional sparks and
burning powder flying out of the ejection port.(I've been hit by burning powder residue numerous times.)

A while back I would load up on crates @ $170 a pop OTD @ the local funshows.
Great blasting and drilling ammo and If I had the opportunity to get some more at a
decent price I would not hesitate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Update: I've now shot about 200 rounds of the stuff, and I think I made a good purchase.  The cases all look good,  I've had no FTF or FTE, and the stuff has been suprisingly acurate.  The stuff I purchase came in the 30rd cardboard boxes.  The ammo crate says 86 on the box, but all the brass headstamps say, 5.56, 96, G.  Some would it be safe to says that the ammo was possibly produced in 1996?

Thank for all your responses.  Oh yeah,  your not kidding about the muzzle flash.  Kick ass!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#16]
powereng

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top