Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:15:21 AM EDT
ok a friend of mine has ammo that is 20 years olds he keeps it in ammo cans.

and he was wondering if it is still shootable. and if it is not what does he do to despose of it.

the calibers our 30-06,.222,.22 and 20 guage ammo.

and if someone has a pic of corrisive ammo it would be a big help.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If ammo goes stale after only 20 years, some of us here are gonna have to file for bankruptcy.

Most of my stuff is 25 years old, and counting...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If ammo goes stale after only 20 years, some of us here are gonna have to file for bankruptcy.

Most of my stuff is 25 years old, and counting...

ok so his is fine then thats what i figured.cool i will let him know.
He was telling me today that he wasnt sure so i said i go check for him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If the ammo has been properly stored and there's no obvious defects, then 20 year old ammo is fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If the ammo has been properly stored and there's no obvious defects, then 20 year old ammo is fine.

i will check with him he said he keeps it in the .50 cal ammo cans so i think he will be ok just checking with arf to see what you think.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently shot 23yr old Israeli 5.56 ammo with zero problems
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have shot ammunition that was made with black powder before Cars were more than just an idea in someon'es head......

Ammunition does not "go bad" so long as it is stored well, ammo cans and cool dry areas is great, though liek I said, i ahve shot ammo that was much much older and probably not stored that well.

Hell I have enough M2 Ball that si corrosive in my basement to start WW3, it must be around 60 years old.   I will shoot it off this winter probably
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I just blew away 2k rounds of 1932 dated 8mm and only had 2 duds.  Someone I know just got some 1914 dated 303 but haven't tried that yet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
IF PROPERLY STORED, 25 years is nuthin! Blamm away.

First off, eyeball the stuff. Lookit primers. Brass ok? If possible, take a couple apart -pull the bullet, smell the powder, etc.

I was at the range with an "old timer" who was shooting 1918 .30/06 in his Springfiled bolt action. He gave me 16 rounds, I clipped them up and used them in my Garand. Worked fine!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top