Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2005 7:46:41 AM EDT
I have used 150gr soft-tip and Horn. 150gr SST in bolt actions w/ excellent results on hogs, and Win. 150gr Ballistic SilverTips thru my M1A EBR on my previous recent boar hunt w/ great results also.

Reference: Boar hunt w/ M1A & 150gr Win. Ballistic SilverTips

I am considering my S-African Surplus 147gr FMJ for my next hog hunt. We all know how well the Q3131A frag for best results, but I can assume w/ high % that a 147gr FMJ moving about 2750fps thru a 18" barrel is not going to frag. due to stronger .308 bullet design, and velocity is not fast enough.

I am pretty sure it will yaw as all FMJs will to due heavier weight in the rear.  As yall remmember, a couple of hog hunt threads back, I used Walmart's 55gr FMJ on my AR hunt, though the bullet did not frag, it sure did yaw w/ very good results.

Anyone w/ experiences w/ hunting w/ .308Win FMJ?  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The S/A has a thick jacket. It will yaw but not fragment. If I were to use surplus ball ammo to hunt hogs I would use Hert. or German DAG. Both have thin jackets designed to yaw and then fragment.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
WeeWee,
Do the Hert or German DAG ammo easily obtainable, cause this is the 1st I've heard of them, and never seen them listed on online surplus ammo website, are they expensive too?

Do these frag in very small pieces, how about some metal in your meal .
Is there any pics of these ammo frag. in gelatin?

Maybe I should try out the SA, I am sure a .308Win 147gr yawing bullet will do quite some damage,  cause the litlle Walmart 55gr yawed did quite some damage also.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
To see what the DAG ammo will frag like check out the Wound ballistics info at the top of this fourm.click on #7 Wounding patterns of military rifles.  Both Hert and DAG surplus is very hard to find now . I kick myself every day for shooting  all my DAG through a friends M60. I think S/A surplus will kill hogs very well. Not to many animals can stand up to .30cal rounds.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It all boils down to shot placement.  SA will kill just like a ballistic tip given a good shot.

What is your thinking behind using SA?  Just curious...$$ savings?

BTW - Nice M1A
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is your thinking behind using SA?  Just curious...$$ savings?
BTW - Nice M1A

Thx, and my thinking was and I am assuming that our troops don't use hunting rounds thru their M14 in Iraq, and that we civilians hardly get .308 wound balllistic info., take down power, wound channel, ect...  on determined enemies, so the closest thing are determined boars hit w/ .308 FMJs.  Then I could analyze the wound damage on dead hogs.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I would stick with the Hornady SSTs and the Nosler Ballistic tips. The .308 FMJ is just not a good choice for hunting in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would stick with the Hornady SSTs and the Nosler Ballistic tips. The .308 FMJ is just not a good choice for hunting in my opinion.

I might just do that, the bullet do need to penetrate some flesh distance befoe yawing effects kick in, so I think a thick hog would have yawing, a skinny hog would have a .30 exit hole
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Why do people want to use FMJ hunting?  this never made sence to me.  Use a HUNTING BULLET.  

I refuse to use a FMJ hunting.  It;s just not worth taking a chance on the animal suffering.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't doubt that an FMJ can kill an animal.

Probably have bits of lead EVERYWHERE after that though.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top