Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 6:23:59 AM EDT
I am pretty new to the AR world.  I've been lurking in this forum for a while reading what people feed their guns.  What's the hype with so many people talking about it?  Do you use it for plinking, target, or varminting?  Walmart has some boxes of 40 for around $13.75.  I assume it's the same ammo everyone is talking about being that it's Winchester, and in a white box.  I picked up 100 rounds to shoot this weekend and see what it's all about.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, Weasel.  In regards to AR ammo, I say that the first thing to do is to visit the ammo oracle.  You can do this at www.ammo-oracle.com.  The Oracle is the absolute best place to learn the basics of ammo.  Check it out, and report back to us.  Thanks, and welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The ammo everyone refers to is not the same as what you bought - the ammo most people refer to costs $8 or so for 40 rounds, and had sealed primers. It's really hard to find nowadays.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
While we're on the subject of Winchester White box, I've been tracking the Winchester USA223R1, R3, R1A, etc., for the past year or so and haven't bothered posting it on the Ammo Price List because of the lack of availability.

The exception - Outdoor Marksman has 36 cases, 1000/case, of the Winchester USA223R1A, 55gr FMJ, Israeli manufacture, for $4.25/20, $199.95/1000 + shipping. Not mil-spec, no info on sealant or crimp.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The ammo everyone refers to is not the same as what you bought - the ammo most people refer to costs $8 or so for 40 rounds, and had sealed primers. It's really hard to find nowadays.

Yeah the 3 walmarts in my area sold out of the 40 rd white box ammo back in May.  They haven't had UMC's in for at least 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the UMC prety decent stuff?  I've been using some ammo from Russia (Brown Bear or something, comes in green boxes with a bear on the front).  It functions flawlessly and is around 70 bucks for 500 rds.  I tried wolf but after 500 rounds in a day I started to get some FTX's.  Might have been due to the barrel being pretty hot but most likely a build up of crap.  The USMC isn't too cheap so what's everyone use it for?  Target shooting or just a little hotter plinking ammo?

edit:changed to read UMC
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Weasel_M Check out AIM Surplus for Silver Bear same mfg. but Zinc washed cases and about $10 less a half case compared to your brown bear.  Check the IM message I sent ya for more info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is the USMC prety decent stuff?...

The United States Marine Corps is better than decent, it is kickass! Oohrah!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
use to use only WWB value packs from wally world, but now...

bulk Wolf works for me

$100 for a 1000 rnds+ shipping and coupon from sportsmansguide.com

dont hit wally world that much now....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Winchester's target ammo product line, marketing equivalent to the Federal American Eagle (FAE) and Remington UMC brands, is typically packaged in a white box, hence the name given by ARFCOM members. Target ammo lines usually have Full Metal Jacket bullets, suitable for plinking and paper punching.

Winchester does have some WWB product which departs from FMJ, however. Given the price you quoted, the ammo you bought might be the 45 gr HV Varmint load, which I believe has a hollow point bullet and a hot MV. Check the box endflap.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#10]
There seems to be a lot of confusion about Winchester white box, so let me add to it.

Walmart sells two 40 round boxes of .223. The 45 grain varmit load and 55 grain FMJBT. The latter is $7.73 plus tax. This is made by IMI and has sealed primers, cannelured and crimped bullets. I'll pull a round later and see if the bullet is sealed. This is .223 and not 5.56. It is exactly the same as some WWB I picked up at a gun store labeled USA223R1 in 20 round boxes. Winchester claims a muzzle velociy of 3240 for this load out of a 24" barrel versus 3270 for Q3131A using a 20" barrel. It has a different crimp than the Q3131A.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There seems to be a lot of confusion about Winchester white box, so let me add to it.

Walmart sells two 40 round boxes of .223. The 45 grain varmit load and 55 grain FMJBT. The latter is $7.73 plus tax. This is made by IMI and has sealed primers, cannelured and crimped bullets. I'll pull a round later and see if the bullet is sealed. This is .223 and not 5.56. It is exactly the same as some WWB I picked up at a gun store labeled USA223R1 in 20 round boxes. Winchester claims a muzzle velociy of 3240 for this load out of a 24" barrel versus 3270 for Q3131A using a 20" barrel. It has a different crimp than the Q3131A.

Bullets aren't sealed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#12]
"Bullets aren't sealed." Thanks, that saves me some trouble. Andy
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top