Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 6:59:15 AM EDT
I just got my new DPMS .308 after a more than 20 week wait – (they said 6 to 10 when I ordered the damn thing) and I am eager to take it to the range for the first time.  I am interested in the most accurate commercially available round – regardless of price (I want to put the good stuff through it first, I’m sure I will feed it surplus after a while – if I can find a range that I like that doesn’t have a problem with FMJ).

As I said the rifle is a DMPS .308 18" 1x10 twist.  I decided to put a TA11e on top for now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Suspect Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal 168grn. or 175grn. SMKs will shoot tighter groups than most any factory fodder, (only reloading will get ya better groups, IMO).

Mike
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Suspect Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal 168grn. or 175grn. SMKs will shoot tighter groups than most any factory fodder, (only reloading will get ya better groups, IMO).

Mike

I’m in college right now, plus I work; so I really don’t have time to reload, but it is something I would like to get into once I have more time.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I will try both.  Also with a casual as a shooter as I am, I doubt my performance would improve much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
M852, which is the military duplicate of the BH and Federal GMM is also good.  It's not widely available, but when you find it, it's good practice ammo.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Is "308 MATCH 175 GRAIN LAKE CITY M-118" any good?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Any properly weighted Sierra Matchking bullet for your file's twist rate, is always a good choice.

As you stated the twist rate on your rifle was 1/10, it should handle the heavier 175grn. SMK very well.

While we shoot all brands and kinds of bullets, it's tough to beat a well loaded Matchking for accuracy.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Hornady 168 BTHP (Factory loaded) gives me 3 holes touching at 100 yards...not all the time but more often than anything else I have found out of my AR10A4.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The break in instructions that came with my 10T says Black hills 168 moly.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top