Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:52:00 AM EDT
Double Duty rifle, 5.56 chamber, shooting 223 accuracy comprimise

I understand the difference in SHTF and match ammo.  My question is how much accuracy will I sacrifice by shooting 223 match in a 5.56 chamber.  I understand that 5.56 has slightly more generous chamber dimensions than 223.

I will be building  a new upper in an 18" SPR type config.  I would like for it to be as accurate as possible but also be able to use it for a SHTF rifle. I want to stock up on cheaper 5.56 ammo for general use and match type of ammo for hunting and longer range shooting.

Or can I buy match grade 5.56 ammo which will complement my SHTF ammo stash?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Use .223 Wylde which will retain the 5.56 body.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
shouldn;t be an issue.  I can get 1 inch groups out of my chromed lined 5.56 bushmaster at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
by using .223 in a 5.56 bore is less a compromise in accuracy and more of a failing to utilize the full potential of the weapon. I would think you are giving up more fps than accuracy.

Based on my admittedly elementary knowlege, I would assume this would more likely to effect fragmentation rates etc.

HTHb
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
shouldn;t be an issue.  I can get 1 inch groups out of my chromed lined 5.56 bushmaster at 100 yards.

what he said
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
WHy would you get a SPR barrel with 5.56 chamber?  You guys are missing the point.  There is NO REASON to do that when you can use Wylde and have the same reliability.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top