Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 4:11:53 PM EDT
Okay guys, I found some IMI M855 green tip 1200 rounds for about $280. I am asking the opinions of those familiar with this ammo. The Good and The Bad. Is this a good value? Is this the same as the Winchester 62gr NATO? etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
From the ammo oracle:

The name most often tossed around as the best M855 is IMI.  Israeli Military Industries are the same people who make Q3131A and their M855 is apparently just as reliable.  Additionally, you can find it newly manufactured.  Lake City and Winchester both produce M855, but it is almost never available anymore, and certainly not as new-production.  The only exception is that Winchester makes M855 available to police departments.  Occasionally, small quantities of this gets traded back to ammo dealers, and become available for civilian sales.

It seems like you got a really good deal.  I just ordered off gunbroker some Winchester M855 but paid more than you did.  Also I don't need that many rounds of it.  Did you get it in the box or was it a bag.  I am guessing that the 20round boxes are a better quality than a bulk bag.  I ordered 20round boxes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
these are boxed. thanks for the reference.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
IMI M855 is just fine. I bought a bunch around 2000-2001. I paid I think $250 a 1200 rd case. I didn't get it from Botach, but can't remember who had it. I've had zero problems with it. It's now a rainy day reserve, and I shoot almost exclusively XM193 now.

I'd love to be able to get some of their mil-spec M193 stuff (NEW), but haven't seen it for a long time.

$280 a case is a little high, but if you really want it...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
i just picked up 1000 rounds for 200 last week thou the box says for training porpuses only ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I started a thread about this same ammo a short while ago.  I have plenty of boxed IMI M855, but had questions as to it's quality.  After all the replies, and my own shooting expierence, it is now my favorite overall self defense ammo.  First, because it is the only first tier, non-reject, military ammo available (that I know of).  The Winchester, which I also have, is not.  Most important, to me anyway, is it's velocity and penetrating ability.  I have a shotgun next to my bed for home defense.  But if I were let's say, defending my neighborhood against looters, I'd go with the M855.  If they are going by in a car or hideing behind a shrub, I want the round that will get that extra penetration combined with the high velocity.
   That is just my opinion, many will differ.  By the way, that is a great price these days.  Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
at a local gun shop  kastle keep in largo
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I started a thread about this same ammo a short while ago.  I have plenty of boxed IMI M855, but had questions as to it's quality.  After all the replies, and my own shooting expierence, it is now my favorite overall self defense ammo.  First, because it is the only first tier, non-reject, military ammo available (that I know of).  The Winchester, which I also have, is not.  Most important, to me anyway, is it's velocity and penetrating ability.  I have a shotgun next to my bed for home defense.  But if I were let's say, defending my neighborhood against looters, I'd go with the M855.  If they are going by in a car or hideing behind a shrub, I want the round that will get that extra penetration combined with the high velocity.
   That is just my opinion, many will differ.  By the way, that is a great price these days.  Where did you get it?

They are actually $290 from Kyimports.com/ammo.htm
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:59:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They are actually $290 from Kyimports.com/ammo.htm

Thanks.  I have tried them a couple of times, always sold out.  I'll try again today.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want some quality M855 check out the "AR Accessories & Misc" in the Equipment Exchange section under "M855 Ammo" by Bigbore. It's Brand New Winchester NATO M855 Green Tip ammo on stripper clippers and cardboard inserts. It's selling fast. Comes in 900 or 1800 round cases. Shipping is pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Very good stuff!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i just picked up 1000 rounds for 200 last week thou the box says for training porpuses only ?

Sounds like Federal.

IMI comes in 30 round boxes. and 1200 to the case, not 1000.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you want some quality M855 check out the "AR Accessories & Misc" in the Equipment Exchange section under "M855 Ammo" by Bigbore. It's Brand New Winchester NATO M855 Green Tip ammo on stripper clippers and cardboard inserts. It's selling fast. Comes in 900 or 1800 round cases. Shipping is pretty cheap.

I've seen this ammo or similar ammo for sale in various places.  The price isn't too bad, but I was wondering if anyone who actually has some and shot it can verify that it is Tier 1 ammo with all the proper sealants?

-Frank
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen this ammo or similar ammo for sale in various places.  The price isn't too bad, but I was wondering if anyone who actually has some and shot it can verify that it is Tier 1 ammo with all the proper sealants?

-Frank

1800+rounds through many rifles, no problems.  Same hot load and sweet smell that I remember from the Corps.  The rest I have stored as it is pricey now.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Frank

home.earthlink.net/~peter.nelson/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bullets.jpg

1800+rounds through many rifles, no problems.  Same hot load and sweet smell that I remember from the Corps.  The rest I have stored as it is pricey now.  

Have to point out that VanekSF1 was talking about Winchester on stripper clips, but the above are boxed IMI.  Winchester M855 available to civilians is almost always "reject" ammo, boxed IMI is not.  I can't find any boxed IMI anymore, but have enough for quite a while.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#15]

I love the IMI M855.  I still think XM193 and Q3131A  are probably ballistically superior for short range engagement of humans for defensive purposes, but M855 is still a good round, and the boxed IMI is first-class high quality stuff.  I think I probably trust it more than the XM193/Q3131A in terms of QC and reliably going bang every time.  I have purchased it in the past both as a case of 1200 (original factory cardboard case with IMI markings, 40x boxes of 30), and I've also gotten it in as a sealed metal ammo can of 990 (33x boxes of 30, with some styrofoam inserts to keep it packed tight inside) that is stamped up as IMI M855 on the outside as well.

I keep a mix of IMI M855, XM193 (not PD), and Q3131A for my bulk SHTF supplies, in addition to a smaller quantity of Hornady 75gr TAP (which I feel is superior in every way, just much more expensive to stock up on - but it's what I keep loaded in my mags, and I wouldn't dig into the SHTF supplies of the other stuff until the TAP ran out).
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top