Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 9:02:23 PM EDT
I'm waiting for my 6920 to be delivered and now I have to find some bulk ammo.  I'm limited to hollow-pints because the local range doesn't allow fmj.  I'm looking at Wolf's new 6?gr JHP and was wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with this ammo.  I particularly concerned with any damage being caused from the steel case being ejected into the aluminum brass deflector.  Anyone here have any long-term experience shooting wolf ammo and did you experience any problems.  I know that for an extra 100.00 I can purchase some brass-cased 68gr bthp from lancerammo.com but will Wolf do the same job cheaper?  

Also, any problems with the new polymer coatings?  

Thanks, Jerry
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I Have fired a few thousand rounds of Wolf through my Bushmaster. In fact, I have just sent 500 rounds of their old LAQUERED 62 gr hp downrange without a hiccup. It's time we put all this wolf shit to rest.

Wolf will NOT cause ANY adverse reactions to a quality AR (other than stinking more and making for a dirtier cleanup afterwards)

My brass deflector is "handsomely" marred from honest use. There are no chips, dings, dents etc from Wolf or anything else.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
pulpsmack
glade to hear this info. just got in 500 rds of wolf 55gr fmj and will probable go ahead an order 500 rds of their 62gr  jhp after hitting the range tue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
how is the wolf ammo accuruacy ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not going to weigh in on the whole Wolf controversy, but I will pass on some advice on the dinged deflector topic.  

I've shot an AR in Highpower competition for several years now, and one of the modifications that I made my 1st year with the rifle was to cut a few coils out of the ejector spring.  Normally, you don't have but a few minutes to "police your brass", and my original ejector spring would flip the cases out so hard that they would hit the deflector and fly all over the place!!  I cut 2 coils out of the spring (I don't remember exactly, but its a trial and error thing), and it flops the brass out in a nice, neat pile now.  They don't fly out excessively hard and don't ding up the deflector either.  Give it a try...

Nick
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I sighted in my EOTech at the range today and proceeded to shoot 2 - 15 round groups of Wolf 62 grain HP at 50 yards.  (BTW, I believe 5 shot groups are for sissies afraid of getting a flyer that will ruin their bragging rights. )

One was 1.5" and one was 2.0" including ALL 'flyers' (two per group).  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi people with knowledge, just to make 100% sure, the WOLF ammo is a lot cheaper here than the brass of whatever mfg, so it would decrease my costs, but damaging the rifle would increase it a lot. The dealer told me the steel cases damage the chamber. Is it true or is he just trying to sell more expansive ammo of his own? My rifle: DAR 701 Dlask Arms, Canada, 16" chrome plated.
Or do I need to take care of the rifle in some special way after shooting the steel case ammo?
Thank you for your advise in advance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:20:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, it figures, the brass deflector is supposed to deflect brass. And it can hadrly be done without contact :-)
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone told me its nasty ammo and that it will foul up your rifle,ok for Aks,no go in ARs,because Ak47s have alot more room bettween moving parts as ARs have closer inside deals.Same thing with 1911s,I hear that Kimbers are so tight,that if dirty or not in ideal shooting conditions that they will fail.I have no ideal and dont REALLY understand or see the difference,but just things I have heard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I sighted in my EOTech at the range today and proceeded to shoot 2 - 15 round groups of Wolf 62 grain HP at 50 yards.  (BTW, I believe 5 shot groups are for sissies afraid of getting a flyer that will ruin their bragging rights. )

One was 1.5" and one was 2.0" including ALL 'flyers' (two per group).  

So that is  four inches at 100 and eight at 200...you can extrapolate the rest out to say 500
You are happy with that?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=244375
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
12K+ rounds of wolf, no noticable damage to deflector.

Floridaboys, don't worry about a "dirty" AR.  I have 9K+ rounds of wolf without cleaning, and it still works perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I just fired some Wolf 62gr HP for the first time today. Besides the groups being a bit bigger than those shot with the XM193 (and they weren't even that bad), the one thing that I noticed was that for hours afterwards, I actually tasted residue from these rounds. The chamber wasn't all that noticeably dirtier, but the smell and taste afterwards...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I could care less whether or not the ammo is any dirtier than the competitiors or marring the finish of the brass deflector.  With that being said, my question was whether or not a steel casing would cause any excessive wear/damage to the aluminum brass-deflector.  For some odd reason I thought that steel hitting aluminum could potentially cause more damage then brass hitting aluminum and wanted to ask those with the first-hand knowledge.

Thanks for the replies and I've got my 1000 rds of 62gr JHP enroute...now I just need my dealer to get the rifle in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I thought it would be implied that I didn't have any other problems other than being dirty. I should have spelled it out. Sorry bout that. Good luck with your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I imagine that if you are concerned about damaging the rifle, why not attach some kind of tape to the deflector area when you shoot Wolf? Some Bowflage tape or skateboard traction tape would work well, I'd expect. Take it off when you're done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Sarge, I apologize if you took offense and I do appreciate your review.  My post was in response to the comment directed towards "floridaboys".
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Not getting the rifle dirty its self,but gas tube,just parts that move and slide having a gunk on them and it taking more than the blow back to get rounds in and out.Thats just what I hear,I use Rem. White box,so really dont give it to much thought
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sarge, I apologize if you took offense and I do appreciate your review.  My post was in response to the comment directed towards "floridaboys".

If you're talking about this post:

Quoted:
12K+ rounds of wolf, no noticable damage to deflector.

Floridaboys, don't worry about a "dirty" AR.  I have 9K+ rounds of wolf without cleaning, and it still works perfectly.

then read the first sentence.  If not, then please disregard this post.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wolf will not damage your rifle. If you are worried about wear marks on your brass deflector, the only way to keep that from happening is to not shoot the rifle.

Your rifle is meant to be shot, shoot it and have some fun.

+1 Your rifle is a tool, use it

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#20]
No problems with it being a tool and getting it dirty.  
MisterPX and Sarge no offense was taken or meant to offend, just clarifying the situation or attempting to do so.  I do appreciate everyone's info and have an order en route, can get 2k for the price of 1k...

My apologies go out to anyone who thought I was attempting to turn this thread into an internet cage-fight.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I've fired a few thousand rounds of Wolf through each of my AR-15s. I've had no mechanical problems, but I seem to have a lot more problems with dirt build-up than you guys do.

If I fire 200 rounds at the range the action gets 'sticky' and I start getting jams every 10th or 20th shot. The next round will only partially chamber and I have to manually eject it.

Any ideas why I might be having these issues?

Bushmaster upper and lower. 20" barrel.

-Dan Verssen
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Wolf steel casings are definitely softer than your barrel steel.  They're not going to hurt your chamber.  As far as hitting the brass deflector, I've shot a bunch of Wolf polymer through my AR15.  My brass deflector looks a little marred, but not any more than I've seen with brass cased ammunition.  I'd think it's fine.

If you're that worried about it, you can stick a piece of Velcro or something on the brass deflector.  Fuzzy side would cushion the brass deflector.  But, it's a rifle.  I say just shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I could care less whether or not the ammo is any dirtier than the competitiors or marring the finish of the brass deflector.  With that being said, my question was whether or not a steel casing would cause any excessive wear/damage to the aluminum brass-deflector.  For some odd reason I thought that steel hitting aluminum could potentially cause more damage then brass hitting aluminum and wanted to ask those with the first-hand knowledge.

What damage could it possibly do?  The deflector is just a lump of metal, it's function is to sit there and be a lump of metal.  If it get's "damaged", it's just a dented lump of metal that still deflects casings.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:16:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I cant speak for others, but my original question wasnt about the deflector, as you said it is just a lump of metal. Dents in it wount make any difference. My concern was about the chamber because I heard the steel cases could be damaging it. Here in my Country the experience with M16/AR15 type of rifles is not long, so I asked people with a lot more knowledge in this field. The idea is that AK and similar designs are developed around a steel-cased ammo while M16s are originaly designed for brass-cased ammo. Sory to bother so many people...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:17:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Well: you have to be a holder of valid weapon license (pass tests) with the appropriate Class, Rifles for Sport and Recreational Shooting. Then you apply for a purchase permit for a particular type of rifle (or any gun with respective License Class). When you buy it you just register it. The purchase permit is usually no problem but some people didnt get it for rifle for defense purposes. I did he So I have a Dlask Arms DAR 701 from Canada and I am happy with it so far (Whats the reputation of Dlask regarding quality etc?) But if you can get it there are no restrictions on barrel lenghts.
The only real problem is to own a full-auto weapon. You have to get an "Exception form the Law" awarded and they check how you store your weapons etc. You can usually get it only for collection and cannot shoot it at all (there is a line saying you are allowed to regulerlly check functionality of your collection items, how do you check functionality of a full-auto weapon? hereWhats the procedure in Canada? How does it work with shooting guns anywhere, not just shooting ranges?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Bug, don't worry about teh steel cases.  They are a soft steel, and after thousands upon thousands of rounds, I haven't noticed any special wear issues.  The thing about Wolf is that some rifles like it, and some don't.    There arer many threads here to learn about Wolf, but my first reccomendation is to buy about 500 rounds, and try it.  Your rifle may or may not like it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Bugaboo,welcome aboard and thanks for the info on owning firearms in your country.That always interests me,especially in formaly warsaw pact countries.Quick question,what were the regs on civies owning weapons in your country before the iron curtain fell?When I joined the US army back in 90,there was still a posability of WWIII,so I have to say it is much better to meet you on arfcom and not in the fulda gapOBTW,wolf ammo should not give you any problems,especially with your rifle having a chrome lined chamber.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#29]
i've actually had a problem with it hitting the deflector and there is bare metal showing.  i'll take a picture when I get home.

the way i figure it, i can get another upper for about $100.  that's the difference in a case of q3131a (m855, xm193, etc.) and wolf.   i'll keep shooting wolf and will replace the upper receiver if/when it needs it.    i'm sure my upper will last at least 3000+ rounds so that would be equivalent to roughly $300 in savings using wolf over the "good stuff" just so my upper doesn't wear out as fast.

don't get me wrong though, i still have some q3131a sitting around for a rainy day (think New Orleans).

-X
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quick question,what were the regs on civies owning weapons in your country before the iron curtain fell?When I joined the US army back in 90,there was still a posability of WWIII,so I have to say it is much better to meet you on arfcom and not in the fulda gaphr

Rifles and shotguns were allowed for hunting, but there was strict control over the issue fo licenses. The same applies for sport shooting. I mean you had to show a real reason to own a weapon. Self-defense was probably not an option, unless you were colector of post stamps, coins or other art with high-value collection. However, the personal political background was important. Fulda Gap: wasnt it more the Eastern Germans who prepared to fight there together with Russians? I know I didnt plan any travelling to these places :-)
Thanks for the info on Wolf...
Stay safe
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top