Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 12:42:01 PM EDT
Well to make a long story short,  someone misplaced my 1,000 rounds of XM193.  Well I discovered it today and where it was placed was not so friendly!  The whole case was damp where water had entered the building.   Turns out it had only been there for about 2 weeks (who knows how long it has been wet) with temps of about 100 deg.

I just opened the 50 wet/damp boxes.  Most boxes were dry inside, but there were a few that were actually wet.   Most rounds seem fine, and a few have some corrosion.  

So much for my SHTF ammo

I hope this is still safe to shoot.  

Yes I have read the www.ammo-oracle.com/ but I wanted to save this stuff. Oh well I guess I will have to buy more if I can find any.

What does ARFCOM have to say about this?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Hurry and shoot it up and buy more!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Did you open all boxes and put all ammo in one big pile or do you know which ammo was wet?
I would have used the ammo on the range that were in the boxes that was not wet inside and the other ammo i would have demilled and used brass and bullet for reloading.
Better to be safe than sorry......... But thats me..........

Magnus
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
magnus308 actually all but maybe the very top 10 boxes were wet. I just went a head and opened them to see what they looked like.   About half of the "dry" boxes still had some moisture inside.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What, people don't like using ammo cans anymore?

Ammo cans pwn.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, people don't like using ammo cans anymore?

Ammo cans pwn.

+1
buy some ammo cans bud.
sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Who was this "someone" that you let fondle your ammo?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Most surplus 308 shooters will tell you to just throw the corroded rounds in a tumbler for a an hour or so and then fire.  I would probably seperate out the rounds that have heavy corrosion and fire a few to see if the cases are going to hold up.  If they do, fire off the rest.  I have fired off some pretty heavily corroded 5.56 and 7.62 ammo before and the casings did not split or fail in any way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Lets just say, I moved out about 6 months ago and left a few things behind.  Well they decided to put some of my things in storage for 2 weeks without telling me.  One of these things was a brand new Bushmaster weapons kit.  Thank goodness that is still ok.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets just say, I moved out about 6 months ago and left a few things behind.  Well they decided to put some of my things in storage for 2 weeks without telling me.  One of these things was a brand new Bushmaster weapons kit.  Thank goodness that is still ok.

WTF were you thinking leaving shit like this?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF were you thinking leaving shit like this?

I don't have much room in my new house.  I also left my safe with almost everything in it.  I will be buying a new safe in a couple of weeks, I needed a bigger one anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
magnus308 actually all but maybe the very top 10 boxes were wet. I just went a head and opened them to see what they looked like.   About half of the "dry" boxes still had some moisture inside.

Not to bust your balls any more, but if you read through the Ammo Oracle you should have known to put your SHTF ammo in ammo cans.  Lesson learned.  

I would pull a few bullets and see if any water got inside the worst shell cases.  The last thing you need to do now is fire a squib sending a bullet into the barrel and screwing up your rifle with the next shot.  

If you don't feel good about what you find in the cases, you are best off giving the whole lot to someone who reloads (who can use the components) and get new ammo.  That's what I would do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Most surplus 308 shooters will tell you to just throw the corroded rounds in a tumbler for a an hour or so and then fire.  I would probably seperate out the rounds that have heavy corrosion and fire a few to see if the cases are going to hold up.  If they do, fire off the rest.  I have fired off some pretty heavily corroded 5.56 and 7.62 ammo before and the casings did not split or fail in any way.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An hour in a tumbler can turn the course grains of powder into a much finer grain of powder which will burn faster, increase pressure, and possibly KABOOM!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to bust your balls any more, but if you read through the Ammo Oracle you should have known to put your SHTF ammo in ammo cans.  Lesson learned.  

I know, I know.  I really screwed up.  Every other bit of ammo that I have is in ammo can, I guess I just didn't have an empty at the time.  Another problem was that I bought so much shit at once it got covered up and I forgot about it.

Oh well, lesson learned. I have always wanted to do some ammo "testing" of my own. hehe
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An hour in a tumbler can turn the course grains of powder into a much finer grain of powder which will burn faster, increase pressure, and possibly KABOOM!

Actually, no.  This has been discussed here many times before.  IIRC, certain very old flake powders could do this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would tumble them and not worry about it.  If they weren't soaked then they'll work.  Even if they were soaked they are probably fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well to make a long story short,  someone misplaced my 1,000 rounds of XM193.  Well I discovered it today and where it was placed was not so friendly!  The whole case was damp where water had entered the building.   Turns out it had only been there for about 2 weeks (who knows how long it has been wet) with temps of about 100 deg.

I just opened the 50 wet/damp boxes.  Most boxes were dry inside, but there were a few that were actually wet.   Most rounds seem fine, and a few have some corrosion.  

So much for my SHTF ammohinking.gif

I hope this is still safe to shoot.  

Yes I have read the www.ammo-oracle.com/ but I wanted to save this stuff. Oh well I guess I will have to buy more if I can find any.hat
img161.imageshack.us/img161/9551/xm1936op.jpg

Just separate the heavily corroded ones and don't use them.  A soldier where my friend was a former battalion commander in the Philippines was killed in combat because of corroded ammo.  The case neck got stuck inside the chamber, and this rendered his rifle inoperable.  

What you could do is to separate the worse ones from the bullets which were not so affected by moisture, air dry them and occasionally get a couple at random and fire them.  The Philippines is a very humid country, and I've been using WCC M193 and LC ammo from the 70's and they go bang everytime.

Just an example:  in the early 90's  Army soldiers were called to a beach in Leyte province (where the US soldiers under Gen. McArthur landed) because a large crate of .45 ACP steel cased ammo dating back to the World War II was discovered on the shoreline.  The ammo was superbly packed that no moisture was able to penetrate the bullets.  The soldiers got some ammo, loaded them in 1911s and saw if they would fire.  They did.

I would say, the biggest enemy of bullets is oil.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Next time U move let me know so I can clean up behind U.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Next time U move let me know so I can clean up behind U.

Wise guy!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#21]
In regard to SHTF ammo, the only ammo I have that has misfired consistently in XM193.

The IMI M193, IMI M855, Win Q3131, and even the old South African M193 battlepacks appear to be more reliable.

I am getting to the point where I view XM193 as plinking ammo.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:06:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Federal bulk .22LR ammo is water proof.  

Please don't ask how I know.    

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top