BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 9:25:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It was all I shot until I started reloading.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
good for what?

Hunting- no.  

Self defence- not if i had anything better handy.

Match shooting - no.

Reloading - yes.  

Plinking - yes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It works fine for plinking but there are other choices out there that work just as well and cost less.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
good for what?

Hunting- no.  

Match shooting - no.

Reloading - yes.  

Plinking - yes.

that about sums it up

and if its cheap
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Would "old Winchester 55 grain ammo" exclude Q3131A?  As far as 5.56 ammo goes, I've always heard this is the best for self defense.  Hotter than .223, the effects of fragmentation can be devastating, less chance of overpenetration than some handgun rounds, cheap and mil-spec.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
It aint sealed, so is not milspec
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The Q3131A I have is sealed.  You can see it on the primer.  I haven't pulled a bullet to see if it's sealed but I'd imagine it is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Would "old Winchester 55 grain ammo" exclude Q3131A?  As far as 5.56 ammo goes, I've always heard this is the best for self defense.  Hotter than .223, the effects of fragmentation can be devastating, less chance of overpenetration than some handgun rounds, cheap and mil-spec.

Dude you need to read the ammo orical.  Basically, the winchester white box is 223 ammo using a bullet that may not fragment like M193.  The bullet could be constructed with a thicker jacket, not allowing it to fragment at all.  

Q3131a is Mil-Spec ammo and I would not hesitate to use it.  Any other winchester ammo 55 FMJ ammo would be plinking ammo only.  See my above post.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Dude, i have read the ammo oracle forwards and backwards and nowhere in it does it differentiate WWB and Q3131A.  I know Q3131A is mil spec which is why I wrote the above.  It also sometimes comes in little white boxes that say "Winchester" on it which is why I sought the clarification.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top