Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 10:08:18 PM EDT
The recent troubles have me wanting a bit more firepower, and a 308 is obvious.  Is barrel length as big a factor for the 308 as it is for 5.56/.223?   Intended targets would be rabid beer cans, Tannerite and bipeds if required.

I really like the SOCOM 16, but does the 16 inch barrel negate the bennies of the 308?

The Scout Squad has the 18 inch barrel:

The Standard has a 20 inch but makes for a long gun:

Other than get all three, does the Scout Squad split the difference in terminal performance at 308 ranges?   I'm sure this has been covered, and I apologize if it's obvious and I missed it.
Thanks,
Matthew  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll only lose a couple hundred FPS by going to the short barrel.  Since the 7.62 doesn't rely on velocity to do it's work, it's up to you what you want, although, I beleive the 18 is the best setup on the premise of acceptable flash/concusion/noise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Scout Squad is a very nice balance and you don't lose that much in terms of FPS.

I'd personally only get a SOCOM (hefted a couple; VERY swingable) if I already had all the other toys I want...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Also want to say that when I handled a guy's socom model, it felt like a whole different rifle than my standard 20".  Weight (not sure why), and balance were like "WOW".
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Socom 16.  It's awesome.

That said, I'm also looking at getting a FullSize M14 variant.  Not because of accuracy, but just because you get hooked on them.  Be prepared to buy both, or more.  Get some space cleared in your safe now.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Get an Armalite AR10 and you can just swap out uppers.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top