Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2005 9:07:16 AM EDT
Just curious.  Just got my first AR last weekend (RRA CAR A4 16" midlength), and picked up some white/green box UMC at Walmart.  I saw some yellow-boxed stuff at Gander Mountain that was a bit more expensive (about .05/round more) and was wondering if there is any difference between the two.  Didn't see anything here doing a quick search, thought I'd ask.

Also, I've not seen too much written here (or on google, either) about the 45-grain stuff.  Is this OK to shoot?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, that's a good one.  If I recall, the green/white box has some type of "clean" primer.  It won't ugly up the inside of the case as much when fired.  It's also lead/mercury free so it's better for indoor shooting.  Hopefully this is right, if not, somebody will be along shortly to say I'm a dumbass.  You should be fine shooting the lighter stuff.  It probably won't be uber-accurate.  I won't use UMC rifle ammo anymore.  I had a bad experience with their yellow-box 30-06.  Basically, every round keyholed.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag.  I don't know!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the green and white box is simply a new packaging design and the yellow is older stock but I am not positive.
Tim
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure about the difference between the yellow UMC box and the white/green Remington for rifle rounds, but for pistol rounds there has been a difference.  In 44 magnum (180gr jsp) the yellow box ammo creates a MASSIVE fireball and a HUGE low frequency "boom" while the newer white/green stuff isn't as loud or as visual.  The one box of white/green I tried also caused a jam or misfeed in my Desert Eagle "fun gun" about 1 every 2 rounds.  The yellow UMC was pretty much flawless.

Sadly the several local Wal-Marts where I used to buy the yellow UMC no longer carry it.  But I got lucky and found some online.  At least in pistol caliber there does seem to be a difference in composition.  I know, I know.  1 box isn't really a fair "sampling."  I'll be sure to give at least one more white/green box a try before swearing it off.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think the green and white box is simply a new packaging design and the yellow is older stock but I am not positive.
Tim

This is what I thought too, but I still see the 250 rd packs with the yellow boxes.

I'd love to know whether or not there really is a difference.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a "250 rnd. Mega Pack" from Wally-world tonight.  I probably won't get back to the range for another two weeks, but when I do I'll post a "semi-amature-review."  

*EDIT* to state that I have the .45 Mega Pack.  Not the .40 as in the pic.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tim

I'm like 90% sure this is it.  If people still have the yellow, it's because it's been there awhile.  Nothing wrong with that, just stating the obvious.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#8]
The Bass pro Shops here in town seems to have an endless supply of the yellow box.  Prices aren't bad either.  With my military discount i can get the 200 rd packs for $35 + tax.  Just a tad cheaper then Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Shot my first white/green box last weekend and I didn't notice any difference.  Not the hottest ammo out there but it feeds perfectly and is good for plinking just like the yellow box.

Shok
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tim

I'm like 90% sure this is it.  If people still have the yellow, it's because it's been there awhile.  Nothing wrong with that, just stating the obvious.

When the new green box came out I thought it was something different from the yellow box so I asked the guy at Dicks why was it in a green box and he said that it is the exact same ammo in new packaging.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I did find on Remington's website where someone had asked the same question, and they said it is a packaging difference only.  I also talked to someone who inquired the same thing to them and was told that also.

However ... the 20/box green/white stuff seems to be cheaper per round than the 200 round yellow box stuff???  What am I missing?  This makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I did find on Remington's website where someone had asked the same question, and they said it is a packaging difference only.  I also talked to someone who inquired the same thing to them and was told that also.

However ... the 20/box green/white stuff seems to be cheaper per round than the 200 round yellow box stuff???  What am I missing?  This makes no sense to me.

Isn’t it obvious… Yellow ink costs more.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top