Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 7:47:17 AM EDT
I have a:
RRA
24in Kreiger Stainless 1x12
3x10x50 Nikon
RRA 2 Stage NM Trigger
Bipod & Rear Bag

I have shot Barnaul, Wolf, S & B, PMC, mil surplus?. The Winchester 45gr JHP @ $12.50/40 seem to be most accurate. Then I bought some Hornady 55gr Molly Vmax that shot super but they cost $15/20.  Barnaul is cheapest for plinking but I need some good stuff to shoot too but at a better price. Don't want moly cloggin my tube any quicker than need be either.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I gave ya several suggestions here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=247909.............

Why didn't ya try anything I suggested?

Mike

ps - btw, shooting moly'd bullets will NOT clog or damage your rifle or barrel in any manner.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't find any of those around my way. And I don't reload .223 yet.

And I am positive Moly WILL come off in the barrel and mix w/gases and add to build up in the tube. I will not shy from it but want to keep to a minimum.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can't find any of those around my way. And I don't reload .223 yet.

And I am positive Moly WILL come off in the barrel and mix w/gases and add to build up in the tube. I will not shy from it but want to keep to a minimum.

Sorry, have trouble believing ya got no decent gun-shops around your neck of the woods, guess ammoman and others selling rounds I mentioned over the I-net don't suit your fancy either........

FWIW, I have fired literally thousands of rounds of moly coated 77grn. SMKs through my CR6724, both at the range and in competition and there is absolutely zero build-up of moly in my rifle. Of course I clean it regularly and with a proper bore cleaner. Don't know where your getting your "moly" disinformation but it won't hurt your rifle's barrel or gas tube.

I still have a 500-800 moly rounds left before I get into my non-moly'd SMKs and while we will eventually shoot them all up and go naked the fact remains that other than a messier than normal clean-up moly bullets will cause no harm whatsoever to your rifle.

Mike

ps - my dad always taught me "CAN'T" never did nuthin for nobody.........., good luck with your search
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Believe what ya want. Dude I live in MA!! They don't ship to MA unless its illegally and I do know one but have not priced him for shipping. And the shops seem to carry the cheap stuff like wolf, S&B, Barnaul.
I bought everything else I have found so far. The ones that will carry other stuff are a good hours ride so I want to know what the hell I need before I drive over an hour to a shop.

Seeing that your from one of those Gun loving states "God Bless Texas!" you will have to come see one of our stores.  I was amazed at hunting NY when I went to a store and they had all kinds of ammo and it was OUT on the FLOOR. IN the middle of isles as in end caps, those are sale items. All our stuff is usually BEHIND a COUNTER and often in a locked case!
So please don't talk like I am ignorant, its the other way, I just live in ASSachusetts!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for living in MA.  It is UNBELIEVABLE how difficult it is dealing with ANYTHING gun related in this state.  I'm pretty knowledgeable regarding gun resources in this state, and I can only name 7 gun stores in the entire state.  The one's I've been to (6 of them) are about the size of a closet.  Oh, and most pistols are illegal in this state.  Only a select few that are MA approved by our AG are legal.  The AWB has been extended indefinately in this state.  It bites.  Lord know a gun with 11 rounds is SOOOOO much more dangerous than one with only 10.

I haven't found one place yet that will ship ammo to this state.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Fed AE 50 jhps and WWB 45 jhp's are really outstanding performers in 1/12 barrels like yours..  Carefully assembled handloads duplicating John Feamsters practice load don't beat them by much at 200 yards, BTW.

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the support and info guys.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]
What a pain in the butt, buying ammo in MA -- yet it must be worth it, and kind of nice, to live in a state that keeps you all so safe from gun violence.  And your children are safer too.

Happy voting shooting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Black Hills is the way to go.  Reasonably priced for match accurate ammo (most are less than $20 for a box of 50 rounds).
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm trying to get me some of those Black Hills now. Waiting for a "Call Back"
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
For a RRA Natioanl Match A2 shooting at 100-200 yards, which grain Black Hills should I consider?  Is the 55 grain enough?  I'm a newbie at this, so go easy...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not an accuracy expert.  I don't even play one on the internet.

Here is a link of some that I'm thinking about trying when I need another case (he only sells in 1K or more lots).

I'd guess that the load is to heavy for a 1:12 twist.

I've emailed him, and very good to talk with.  Give him a shout if you have more questions.

www.radomski.us/njhp/major.htm
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:43:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The Winchester 40 packs of 45 gr you mentioned and American Eagle 50 grain flat base HP (AE223G) are the best price accuracy loads. I use them in a RRA Varminter 1in 8, several 1 in 9 rifles and two 1 in 12 bolt rifles and they are moa loads in all but one rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Been to the range. SHot dome Federal 50 gr Speer TNT HP and they are very accurate!, $13.99/20. They had some Utramax @ Dicks so I tried them because I never heard of them. They said remanufacured  but were $6.99/20 and they shot Great 1" or better. Better than your avg $5 a box stuff. It was more in line with the $18 stuff like Win 40 gr Ballistic Silver tip was 1" and so was the Remington 50 gr VMax BT.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top