Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2005 11:36:49 AM EDT
Black Hills remanufactured 77 grain

Does anyone have any stats on this ammo?  How fast is it?  What powder are they using?

I'm breaking in a new barrel 55 rounds so-far, the last 15 being Black Hills remanufactured 77 grain.  1 inch group at 100 yards!  I'd like throw some practice loads to match the Black hills stuff.  

By the way Krieger Heavy barrel, 1.77 twist, for High power I highly recommend a Krieger barrel, can't go wrong!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Black Hills remanufactured 77 grain

Does anyone have any stats on this ammo?  How fast is it?  What powder are they using?

I'm breaking in a new barrel 55 rounds so-far, the last 15 being Black Hills remanufactured 77 grain.  1 inch group at 100 yards!  I'd like throw some practice loads to match the Black hills stuff.  

By the way Krieger Heavy barrel, 1.77 twist, for High power I highly recommend a Krieger barrel, can't go wrong!

Whats the barrel length?? Can't tell you about the powder, only two people on this site probably know what Black Hills uses, and one of those people owns black hills the other works for them.

As to the stated MV it's listed as 2750FPS out of what length barrel I do not know.
The bullet is a canaulred(IIRC) 77gr SMK.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, they can be very proud of their product, I'm gonna shoot Black Hills in competition from now on, practice with my home loads.

The barrel is a SS DCM Service Rifle Barrel

Caliber:  .224
Twist:  7.70
Bore Dia:  .218
Groove Dia.:  .224
# of grooves:  4
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]

The bullet is a canaulred(IIRC) 77gr SMK.

That bullet is not the same one offered by Sierra to the regular Joe is it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can get a cannelured SMK then that is the bullet.  When did they start using cannelured 77 SMK in Black Hills line anyway? All I have ever seen is uncannelured.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Just some BH 77gr ammo info, while we're on it:

I have yet to see publicly available BH 77gr loads with a cannelured bullet.  Here's some BH ammo I got from Cabelas.  It has crimped and sealed primers, and a non-cannelured bullet.  It's hard to tell if the bullet is sealed or not, but on many cases and bullets, there is the same reddish sealant that there is on the primer.

I haven't shot any of this yet.  I shoot a ton of 77gr SMK handloads with Varget and I will work these in a little.  This shtuff ain't cheap, though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have yet to see publicly available BH 77gr loads with a cannelured bullet.  Here's some BH ammo I got from Cabelas.  It has crimped and sealed primers, and a non-cannelured bullet.  It's hard to tell if the bullet is sealed or not, but on many cases and bullets, there is the same reddish sealant that there is on the primer.

img382.imageshack.us/img382/4229/dsc022793fw.jpg</a>
img363.imageshack.us/img363/9117/dsc022803of.jpg</a>

I haven't shot any of this yet.  I shoot a ton of 77gr SMK handloads with Varget and I will work these in a little.  This shtuff ain't cheap, though.

I remember Jeff writing in post awhile back what all had cannalures and what didn't. I know the Mk262 does(those are Mk262 Mod1 seconds, at least the box looks like it so they should ahve a cannalure). But I wasn't and still am not sure if the blue box or read box  77gr does or does not. I thought it did I may be thinking of the 75gr though. I'll dig around a bit and see if I can find the post. But I'm sure somone who knows will stop in before I find it..
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img382.imageshack.us/img382/4229/dsc022793fw.jpg</a>
img363.imageshack.us/img363/9117/dsc022803of.jpg</a>

I remember Jeff writing in post awhile back what all had cannalures and what didn't. I know the Mk262 does(those are Mk262 Mod1 seconds, at least the box looks like it so they should ahve a cannalure). But I wasn't and still am not sure if the blue box or read box  77gr does or does not. I thought it did I may be thinking of the 75gr though. I'll dig around a bit and see if I can find the post. But I'm sure somone who knows will stop in before I find it..

Blue box 77gr loads do not have cannelures.  I occasionally shoot that also.

These Mk262 Mod 1 seconds do have cannelures. Updated to reflect that the Cabelas seconds do have cannelures.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Intresting. Wonder what it is then.

This is from Carl it was posted in another thread. If anything it might help tell ya what they are. not like iyt matters it still shoots great I'm sure.

Quoted:
...... MK262 MOD 1 ammunition is manufactured using mil-spec brass with WCC headstamps, crimped and sealed primers with a 77GR cannelured Sierra bullet.
..........  "Factory Seconds", "Blems" are packaged in 50 round, plain white cardboard boxes. Markings on these boxes are:
Top: Has our name, twist rate information and the "Seconds" markings.

End flap:       New Ammunition
                             5.56MM
                      77GR match HP

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Red and Blue box makes zero difference on the 75 grain ammo.  All of it used to have no cannelures now all of it does and will from now on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Red and Blue box makes zero difference on the 75 grain ammo.  All of it used to have no cannelures now all of it does and will from now on.

You posted in the thread where Jeff went through all that shit, do you remember what thread that was?? It's probably burried in the archive by now. I wish I would ahve saved that post...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry dont remember the post.  I actually only saw cannelured Blue Box 75 for the first time with my own eyes on a 1000 rounds I picked up from Brouhaha when he bought several thousand rounds a few months back.  At the time he was not sure if we would get the cannelured version or not as the change had just taken place.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought some BH off the shelf at Cabelas. The white box mongo pictured above, red box in 75 and 77 grain and blue box in 75 and 77 grain. None appear to have cannalures. I bought these loads for accuracy and velocity testing in a 16", (colt), 20" (Colt) and 24" (RRA). I'll post the results if there is an interest.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just bought some BH off the shelf at Cabelas. The white box mongo pictured above, red box in 75 and 77 grain and blue box in 75 and 77 grain. None appear to have cannalures. I bought these loads for accuracy and velocity testing in a 16", (colt), 20" (Colt) and 24" (RRA). I'll post the results if there is an interest.

Would ya be willing to pull a bullet and check it?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Photoman: Sure. Are ya talking about the white box or all of them? I'm heading for work but I can do it tonight. I planed on doing this to look at the powder.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Photoman: Sure. Are ya talking about the white box or all of them? I'm heading for work but I can do it tonight. I planed on doing this to look at the powder.

The white box for sure, but if yer pulling others th check the powder I wouldn't mind hereing what you find out(about the powder too)

I'm stuck using the 75gr stuff as thats the heaviest my 1/9 barrels will stabalise. I'm picking up a 1/7 11.5 inch barrel though once I get my Form1 back them I plan to pick up a couple hundred of the Mk262 seconds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Photoman: All the bullets except the red box 75 grain have a cannalure. The MK262 cannalure is light but definatly there. The 75 grain red box is crimped hard enough that the case mouth left a ring in the bullet that I can feel and see. The powder is a fine grained ball in all cases but the blue box APPEARS to be lighter in color. Sorry I don't have a digital camara. I spilled powder while pulling the bullets so I'm not giving out the weight nor will I guess on the powder.

Moongo I could not see the cannalure until I pulled the bullet, even with a magnifing glass. Inside the flap I have the numbers 1206031185 with A388 in larger text under that. Not sure which is the lot number. If this ammo is in fact secounds of MK262 I should have a cannalure...and now I know it does.

I will be interesting to see what the velocity and accuracy is like with these rounds. I think I will use a Leupold 6-20 and My RRA Varmint Lower for all there uppers, 16" 20", (both 1 in 7" Colts) and a 24" RRA Varmint upper with a 1 in 8". Hopefully I can scare up a friend with a camara who knows how to post pics.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Photoman: All the bullets except the red box 75 grain have a cannalure. The MK262 cannalure is light but definatly there. The 75 grain red box is crimped hard enough that the case mouth left a ring in the bullet that I can feel and see. The powder is a fine grained ball in all cases but the blue box APPEARS to be lighter in color. Sorry I don't have a digital camara. I spilled powder while pulling the bullets so I'm not giving out the weight nor will I guess on the powder.

Moongo I could not see the cannalure until I pulled the bullet, even with a magnifing glass. Inside the flap I have the numbers 1206031185 with A388 in larger text under that. Not sure which is the lot number. If this ammo is in fact secounds of MK262 I should have a cannalure...and now I know it does.

I will be interesting to see what the velocity and accuracy is like with these rounds. I think I will use a Leupold 6-20 and My RRA Varmint Lower for all there uppers, 16" 20", (both 1 in 7" Colts) and a 24" RRA Varmint upper with a 1 in 8". Hopefully I can scare up a friend with a camara who knows how to post pics.

Upon closer inspection, I am seeing the slightest hint of a cannelure.  It's not a deep one, like on the SS109 bullet, but on more than a few, I can distinctly see one.

I went to my local Cabelas tonight and they are out of this ammo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I scrounging around my loading bench I found Win 55 grain PSP and FMG as well as some 62 g FMJ all with a cannalure. The 77 grain ML262 bullets cannalure is not as deep and the "hash marks" are further apart but it is a cannalure. I pulled these bullets using a RCBS "hammer" type bullet puller and these bullets are all in tight. Oddly the only bullet with out a cannalire was just as tight as the others.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info 357sig. Looks like I'll stick to the blue box for the HD loads, since the have the cannalure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#20]
The Mod 1 in MK 262 Mod 1 means its cannelured.  If its not cannelured it is not Mod 1 ammo to my knowledge.  Perhaps MK 262 Mod 0 but not Mod 1.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#21]
just fyi, i ordered six boxes of the 77grmkcl , which i read were the seconds of mk262, and it was in stock and shipped today. cabelas.com, since we don't have those stores around here. now to assemble the MK12 MOD1  parts........
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
just fyi, i ordered six boxes of the 77grmkcl , which i read were the seconds of mk262, and it was in stock and shipped today. cabelas.com, since we don't have those stores around here. now to assemble the MK12 MOD1  parts........

One step ahead of you.  It's an old pic and the rifle has seen some updated since that pic.  Posted just for motivation.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

img382.imageshack.us/img382/4229/dsc022793fw.jpg
img363.imageshack.us/img363/9117/dsc022803of.jpg

Mongo, I have some of that same "77 Grain MKCL" (ie, MK 262 Mod 1 in disguise) stuff, and pulled some bullets - they are indeed cannelured, but unlike most bullets that are, you cant see it loaded.  I was skeptical as well until I pulled one out.  Expensive at $28 a box of 50, but i bought 500 rounds to test, still have 400-odd left, and accurate as hell out of my R6600 (Colt 20" 1/7 HBAR).  I dont have any ballistic gellatin, but did a number on some canned hams a couple weeks ago - will post pics soon.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top