Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 6:40:41 PM EDT
anyone have any trouble with this round cycling any of the auto-loaders out there? Getting ready to take delivery of my DPMS AP4 and want to keep this round in the rifle for home defense.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Underpentration? Does not fragment? Have any data to share?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]

The story I got was lack of penetration.  The 155 AMAX or 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip seem to be the agreed upon best .308 for defense rounds.

FWIW - I just recently cycle checked some Corbon 125 Speer TNT and it cycled fine in my AR10 (20") but that is the lightest bullet I have tried up to this point.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would you be so concerned about lack of penetration when your dumping 2500+ ft-lbf of Kenetic energy in a persons chest for self defense, the goblin is done for....fragmentation is not a bad thing, it makes for a quick kill
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why would you be so concerned about lack of penetration when your dumping 2500+ ft-lbf of Kenetic energy in a persons chest for self defense, the goblin is done for....fragmentation is not a bad thing, it makes for a quick kill

(credit to whoever originally posted this pic way back)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]

WHat happens if the round strikes an arm prior to reaching the chest?  If you're aimimg center mass, and the target is aiming a rifle or handgun most likely his arms will be in the way of his chest.  While I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end, the 110 and 125 both will most likely not reach anything vital or provide a quick kill.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
19 more to follow...and im sure there will still be big enough chuncks of those bullets left after they come apart on a persons arm to vatally wound a person.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Underpentration? Does not fragment? Have any data to share?

It fragments very well, but underpenetrates horribly.

bjwar10 is correct about the 155amax and 150nbt.

Any figures?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
19 more to follow...and im sure there will still be big enough chuncks of those bullets left after they come apart on a persons arm to vatally wound a person.

Just remember that if it goes through a perso's arm that their arm is going to recieve some of the fragmentation.

The sight of the guy's arm practally blowing up should be enough to slow an attacker down.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
First saying you will follow up with more is a lame cop out.  His next shot could kill you dead as a door nail.  No reason to CHOOSE inferior ammo just because you can follow up with more shots.  That makes pretty much no sense.  Quoting ammo energy dump figures is also lame.  An energy dump is what you have to do after you have a Starbucks coffee.  Energy has NOTHING to do with incapacitation.  And finally thinking that seeing your arm hit with a bullet or taking knife wounds to the chest/neck/face etc will have ANY effect to the attacker is also lame.  I have watched someone get stabbed in the jaw and throat who never even noticed the massive blood all over them or the knife cutting up their face untill after the atack.  I have been shot and did not realise it untill it was pointed out by someone else.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.milkspank.com/shitstorm/Whoop/shitstorm-flyer.jpg

(credit to whoever originally posted this pic way back)

here it comes!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Where to begin . . .
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top