Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 8:28:54 AM EDT
I took my new AR out to the range today.  I ran 100 rounds of surplus FMJ ammo through it and never had a problem.  Then ran 20 rounds of Winchester 45gr. JHP  through it and it jammed twice.  The nose of the bullet caught either on the magazine or feed ramp and it actually pushed the bullet about 1/4" back inside the shell.  

I noticed that the Winchester hollow point bullets have a really rough and jagged tip on them.  

Has anyone else had a problem using this ammo in their AR?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#1]
not as of yet, runs 100% in my 20"er, and two 16"ers...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem here either, 16" Bushy maybe have put thru 300 rnds never a fte or ftf.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nada. over 100 rounds of wwb 45jhp in my bushy in one session resaults were %100  try a different magazine it could be a bad spring/follower
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
only on the first round out of the mag now and then. now i tip the bottom of the mag forward as i chamber the first round.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to run some more rounds of the JHP through it and see if I can figure out what is causing it.  It looked like it never really even got the round out of the magazine.  Maybe I try another magazine and see if it feeds any better.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I think I found the problem.  The magazine I was using at the time had a big burr on the front where the nose of the bullet exits the magazine.  I smoothed it out and I hope that should do the trick.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had feeding issues with those bullets before. I have also noticed some nice scratches on my upper receiver as the bullet went on to the feedramps.

I won't use those cartridges as I did not find them to be extremely accurate.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top