Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2005 1:08:46 PM EDT
Ok,
   I need some help on this.... I have been storing loaded mags in my safe with my guns since I can remember. I never really thought about it before but if it got hot enough inside the safe could the ammo cook off and damage my guns and or start a fire inside the safe?
   I just recently bought a new fire rated safe and I'm now storing ammo in another safe. I want to be able to store several loaded mags inside my safe but is this stupid? Am I asking for trouble doing this? Should I buy a small safe to throw on top of my good safe just for loaded mags?
What do you guys think?

-John
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I store most of my mags in ammo cans beside the safe. I just don't have the $$$ for multiple safes and I think burgalers would be more interested in laptops & electronics over xm-193.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Personally, I store most of my mags in ammo cans beside the safe. I just don't have the $$$ for multiple safes and I think burgalers would be more interested in laptops & electronics over xm-193.

I don't have a separate safe for ammo really for theft; it's more for protecting the house. If ammo did get hot enough to cook off the safe may contain it. It's fairly thick steel. Plus the wife was getting a little annoyed that the bottom of the bedroom closet was lined with ammo cans and she doesn’t have room for even 2 pairs of shoe's...

Wal-Mart has the sentry 10 gun safe for $200 you can't beat that..... No fire rating buts it's pretty thick with a fairly decent combo lock.

What I really want to know I guess is if I have a 1250 degree 45 minute (334 degree max temp for 45 min test) safe should I worry about having 20 or so loaded mags in it with my guns?

-John
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What I really want to know I guess is if I have a 1250 degree 45 minute (334 degree max temp for 45 min test) safe should I worry about having 20 or so loaded mags in it with my guns?

I wouldn't worry about that at all, Cuz.  Shit!  If it gets hot enough to cook a round off in there, your guns are toast any damn way, Ray!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't worry about that at all, Cuz.  Shit!  If it gets hot enough to cook a round off in there, your guns are toast any damn way, Ray!

You have a point there! I'm wondering still what temp it would have to get inside the safe to start cooking off rounds...does anyone have this info?

-John
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
ok, This is kind of disappointing...

As of right now there have been 105 people come in and read this, yet I still don't have the answer....

Come on guys.....

-John
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]
87 degrees!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:10:48 AM EDT
[#7]
put a few rounds in the oven and report back to us.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
markm already answered your question.  If it is hot enough inside the safe to cook off a round, the insides of that safe are history anyway.

I need supportive evidence! I heard the story of the gun that cooked off inside the oven at 400 degrees....at 400 degrees I don't think my guns will be "history" I might have some gooey handguards but I don't think it would be a total loss.

So do you guys all keep loaded mags with your guns in the safe? Maybe I should add a poll.......?

-John
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Good question, Beagle!

Seems like I would not worry.

Reason being is I read an unclassified Navy Dept. study (found it on the web, but be damned if I can re-find it!) done during the Viet Nam era, where the Navy actually studied railroad cars loaded with small arms ammo being subjected to fire, intense heat, etc.

Their conclusion "No big deal--powder in cases just rapidly burned off--no explosions! Seems goofy, but that was what I read. I'll keep digging for this report and post it if I find it again.

P.S. I'm still looking to re-locate to AZ and run my Beagles with your pack! Regard.

---Woody---
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Other than potentially damaging the magazine, what harm could rounds going off (without the benefit of a chamber and barrel) really do?  Especially if contained in a biga** safe?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Other than potentially damaging the magazine, what harm could rounds going off (without the benefit of a chamber and barrel) really do?  Especially if contained in a biga** safe?

Fire...was my thought. Possibly from the interior carpet or a camera case etc., igniting from the flash of powder. My safe is not a big ass safe it's 30" wide by 60" high by 25" deep.

I'd really like to hear the thoughts of the two people that hit the poll with a "no" vote.....

-John
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Now WTF, Start browsing this 1/05 to pass time. So far spent $1k on rifle, $600 on ammo,$350 on mags, not mention the cleaning stuff, mag pouches and targets. Now I need a frigg'n safe. Maybe i'll have to get a big'n to hlod my BH stuff too, if I hurry maybe I can get my order in at Cabela's for some MK262 and few 68,69 and 75 grainers to try out next weekend.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
My safe is rated for 350 internal temp after a 1200 external temp for 75 min.

At that point I'm long gone from the area and I don't think that will be high up on my list of worries.  

Now, I do have a non fire rated ammo locker that if there were a fire I'm sure tha ammo would cook off, but again, I'm most likely far away from the area.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good question, Beagle!

Seems like I would not worry.

Reason being is I read an unclassified Navy Dept. study (found it on the web, but be damned if I can re-find it!) done during the Viet Nam era, where the Navy actually studied railroad cars loaded with small arms ammo being subjected to fire, intense heat, etc.

Their conclusion "No big deal--powder in cases just rapidly burned off--no explosions! Seems goofy, but that was what I read. I'll keep digging for this report and post it if I find it again.
P.S. I'm still looking to re-locate to AZ and run my Beagles with your pack! Regard.

---Woody---

Let me know I'm interested in the info.

-John
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Now WTF, Start browsing this 1/05 to pass time. So far spent $1k on rifle, $600 on ammo,$350 on mags, not mention the cleaning stuff, mag pouches and targets. Now I need a frigg'n safe. Maybe i'll have to get a big'n to hlod my BH stuff too, if I hurry maybe I can get my order in at Cabela's for some MK262 and few 68,69 and 75 grainers to try out next weekend.

I'll share some pictures of my safe....

I wanted a 40" wide by 28" deep by 72" high one but they run between $2800-$5000! I only had a budget of about $1500 and ended up going over by about $120. If I had got a non gloss finished one and lost the pistol carrier for the door I would have been just under budget. I was bad...Don't tell my wife!

Here's a pic when I first got it home:

Here's one with my Champion Lab in front of the Champion safe:

-John

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:54:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll share some pictures of my safe....

I wanted a 40" wide by 28" deep by 72" high one but they run between $2800-$5000! I only had a budget of about $1500 and ended up going over by about $120. If I had got a non gloss finished one and lost the pistol carrier for the door I would have been just under budget. I was bad...Don't tell my wife!

Here's a pic when I first got it home:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40692

Here's one with my Champion Lab in front of the Champion safe:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40693

-John

Same safe I have. I have been very happy with it.  On a side note, were do you guys get the door holsters, or do you just screw them into the door? Sorry, probably stupidest question I have asked.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
When ammo cooks off OUTSIDE of a barrel/chamber, the primary danger is small pieces of brass from the ruptured case flying around.  The bullet DOES NOT GO ANYWHERE.  The bullet will get pushed out of the case an inch or two, but it is not going to go flying anywhere.

Besides, as your 3rd vote choice stated, if it's hot enough inside your safe to cook off your ammo, then your guns are already being damaged anyway.

-Troy

Thanks Troy, I was aware of the rounds not having any velocity but my fear was that the powder burning would catch the inside of the safe on fire somehow and cause more damage. I wonder if the carpet inside is fire treated? I wonder at what temperature my guns would be fubar?

-John

Just to add after seeing only 3 people vote "no" I have decided to keep loaded mags in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Besides noise and odor not much really.  Now if they were chambered in a rifle and they cooked off ya might have another problem.  I know that 55gr goes thru .25" steel plate  at 300yrds like butter baby.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#21]

-John

Same safe I have. I have been very happy with it.  On a side note, were do you guys get the door holsters, or do you just screw them into the door? Sorry, probably stupidest question I have asked.

The door holsters are an assembly kit that you can buy for around $52.00. The holsters have velcro on one side and will hold even heavy handguns. I bought it as an extra, thinking in the future I might have guns to actually put in them.

-John
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top